Sign in to follow this  
8210GUY

Monitor\TV Query

Basically I need to replace a couple of TV's, small ones, my own in the bedroom about 16" which really isn't a problem as it will be purely for TV so I'll just buy an LCD TV, but the one I'm stuck on is my daughters bedroom one.

Basically I want it to have a double function, one as a TV for watching telly\DVDs etc and playing her xbox on, but I would also want it to double as a PC monitor because of the lack of space and cost, but it's understanding the names of the connections where I'm not sure what is for what, any suggestions ?

Had a look already and found the following to see what thoughts there were on that ?

>>>Any Good ?<<<

Question, are you gonna have it connected to a DVD player, Xbox and a PC?

I have no idea about an Xbox, but I am fairly sure that connection will work for a PC so long as you have an analog video output. The output for the LCD is a "15-Pin D-Sub" from the .pdf, so just try google-ing that.

Basically yes, but not necessarily all at the same time.

ATM there is no aerial in her room, so the xbox doubles as games and DVD player hooked into TV mode via the coax plug\aerial socket, but due to money and space I want to be able to connect it to the PC as a monitor as well, and when I get to do her room I will add an aerial lead as well, so the monitor would have to connect somehow but I don't know if monitors have an aerial socket ?

After saying that I'm starting to suspect I will have to get a TV rather than a monitor, but it's knowing what that connection would be called to look for it in an LCD description, is it the "15-Pin D-Sub" that you mention ?

Thanks for the reply.

Ok, the 15 pin connection implies an analog VGA signal. This is fine for a PC monitor.

If you want the display to double as a true TV and PC monitor, you will have to look into an HDTV. There are adapters and what have you that attempt to display a TV signal on a regular PC monitor...but my experience with those have not been good. In any case Ebay should reveal a bunch if you choose to go that route.

A small(~20") HDTV will run you between $300-400 US, not sure how much in the UK.

Edited by ChrisR

for a pc

for an xbox

for dvd

for tv

you could select another tv, this is only and example of what you can do

one solution http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1140393959728

Inputs: HDMI, component video, S-video, PC, 2 RCA

you can hook the xbox via HDMI

built in tv tuner

theres a vga pc hookup as well

built in dvd player

20" high def screen

select different video modes for each item you wish to use, all of them will only use one lcd monitor

i kinda like the idea, sure give me some ideas when tax time comes around :mrgreen:

Yeah I finished figuring out what to get last night, the wife put the orders in this morning, I went the easy route, got dual digital\analogue tuners HD ready with scart input and PC input stated clearly so I wasn't guessing if it would fit lol, spent more than I wanted to, was hoping to find a monitor cheaper, but couldn't be sure of the various connections so went the TV route which I knew would do all I need and had specifically stated pc input so I wasn't guessing if it would fit, should be here Friday with luck, but twice the price I could afford, but with the UK going digital in the next few years it future proofs me, Thanks for the help people. :b33r:

almost everything will be HD/digital by 2009.

almost any cheaper HDTV that is an lcd (since you want to game) would have been perfect. 20'', component or hdmi input for xbox/dvd, the tuner would obviously be the tv input, and the 15pin dsub (rgb) or DVI input is for computers.

what did you end up buying?

Yeah both are TV's, but TBH I can't remember what they were exactly, but both were HD ready with pc in etc and dual analogue\digital tuners, one has an integrated DVD player with a response time of 2ms, unfortunately they told her there was a 4 and 6 week delay on the items, so wont be getting them as quick as I'd of liked. :mrsgreen:

Not without finding out what they were lol, looked at the online site (getting them from a catalogue) but couldn't find them, will try to look them up later when I get in and post up some info on them.

OK got the catalogue out and got the info, but cant find one of them on the manufacturers page lol (both the same make), anyway >>>Here<<< is the one for me, I am getting the 22" version and it's purely for TV really, and >>>This<<< is the one for my daughter who will be using it with the pc as well ultimately, hopefully they are both good choices.

I don't know about unique lol, but it's just the channels that most wouldn't pay for in their own right so they aren't that special, bit of a taster for those without to get them to pay for the rest, but to get the good stuff yes you have to pay here as well which I do with Sky satellite, but the UK has set dates for shutting down analogue TV here now, so soon it will be ALL digital whether you like it or not making many TV's pretty much useless.

HD is new tech here really, and still in it's infancy, ATM theres not many channels being broadcast in it, but to get them you need to pay £10 ($15 US approx) on top of what you already pay to receive them.

Depends which your on about, digital TV is available via an ordinary house aerial with a suitable receiver or set top box, but I don't really know if HD is being available via this method, I suspect it isn't, currently at least, but I can get HD via my satellite dish and box if I have an HD TV (not ATM) and was prepared to pay the extra for it, which I have doubts as to if I would or not, I already pay for a service, don't see why I should pay more for the same service just because it's better when I already have a great picture.

wdeywondrer, any antenna is HD-ready.. it's a piece of metal. You just need the proper ATSC tuner with it. The range isn't that bad, we use this big antenna on the roof with our ATSC tuner to get our local channels in HD. The transmitters for all the local channels are over 30 miles away, and we get 100% signal quality on every single one, except when the weather is bad, then it goes down to about 80% for some reason.

This is one of those old radioshack big antennas for your roof. the cable is held on it with duct tape, but its still 100% quality signal.

But I'll agree with you on the range with small indoor antennas, we have a couple of those and they only get about 50%.

sorry dan, all marketing up here is w/ two different antenae, one regular and one HD ready.

come to think of it though, it's probably just upgraded rg cabling. lol