Sign in to follow this  
stormy13

XP Tweaks

Here are a couple of links that explain some bad tweaks and myths regarding XP that I keep seeing being posted here,

http://www.tweakhound.com/xp/xptweaks/supertweaks11.htm

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/XPMyths.html

Sad part is that some of the tweaks that I see being posted here aren't valid in XP (carryovers from the 98/Me days), or can do more harm than good (clearing/tweaking Prefetch for one).

Nice find, looks like I need to rethink my set up's in future as I use some of those tips, be interesting to see the difference, one thing does confuse me though, they say hosts files and limited user accounts are a waste of time in really protecting you, but some really knowledgeable people still suggest these things ? makes it hard for lay people like myself to understand who is right. :pullhair:

Interesting reads

But I imagine there are some Linux users here that will disagree about the Vulnerabilities section

Interesting reads

But I imagine there are some Linux users here that will disagree about the Vulnerabilities section

No I certainly wouldn't disagree with it, however the reporting and calculating methid is misleading.

MacOS, Unix, AIX, Solaris, FreeBSD, OpenBSD.......... and 800 different distributions of Linux are somehow counted as "1" operating system, yet all the variations of Windows are segregated from each other, then of course there are the types of vulnerabilities local versus remote. 99% of the Unix/Mac/Linux vulnerabilities are local privilege escalation vulnerabilities, while 99% of all the Windows vulnerabilities are remote/web based.

In other words, someone has to be sitting at the Unix/Mac/Linux machine to gain root privileges.

In windows of course anyone who sits down automatically has that power :lol: and most of the vulnerabilities allow remote attackers that same privilege ;)

Then if we are to start looking at things like how quickly the nixes are patched, versus the speed at which Windows is patched and you start to see the disparity.

But lastly, when you look at things like "apache" and other software only being included in the nix camp you start to see how lop sided the reporting is.

apache and many other applications are used in windows also. ;)

I ahve full confidence in the security and speed and thoroughness of the security patches I receive on my Linux computers.

I don't think Windows users have the same comfort level, and peace of mind. :geezer:

i disagree with system restore though, in disk benchmarking you can gain 5 to 10 mb/s, its little but every point counts :)

After reading this I now can honestly say that if I wasn,t sure that my knowledge on a computer was very weak I now can erased all doubts I,m worse than I thought :thud: .Could someone please tell me what OPENSuSe 11.0 countdown is and what does it do.Thank You PS I,d like to say Thank You to all of you people who give,s your time and knowledge to people like myself a chance to learn more and a little easier to enjoy.God Bless You all

Here are a couple of links that explain some bad tweaks and myths regarding XP that I keep seeing being posted here,

http://www.tweakhound.com/xp/xptweaks/supertweaks11.htm

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/XPMyths.html

Sad part is that some of the tweaks that I see being posted here aren't valid in XP (carryovers from the 98/Me days), or can do more harm than good (clearing/tweaking Prefetch for one).

This brings up a question in my mind. In your opinion are the Kelley's XP fixes to be trusted?

i never found any OS tweaks to be very significant. more ram usually does better than any tweak could muchless any other upgraded hardware component.

for that matter, i'd even say Nlite would be more significant than any OS tweak