Sign in to follow this  
cmunson

Vista - RAM Guzzler

Yeah, other than people I know who are gamers. Everyone else has less. The reason is they buy the cheap $300 packages from Wal-Mart or Sams or Costco. Those things have just enough to barely work.

i would say the average is about 256, alot are upgrading to 512, lets face it, these pc's had 98 or mellenium on them, the current state of the economy wont allow them to get a new computer and they will be forced to upgrade there current pc's to the max as it will be alot cheaper than buying a new computer, but older model pc's will hold a up to a gig, it will surely be slower overall system performance compared to today's models !

a dual core setup with atleast a gig of ram for vista will be sufficient enough to get the best performance, just my opinion.

onboard graphics, well umm, thats going to blow big time

i will be fair and say 512, only because the pit gets that info from peeps who test here for performance reasons, that has to be only a fraction of computers used :P

The pit gets tests from mainly Windows XP, a non-flexible OS. People have already been forced into RAM upgrades and Microsoft will get away with it again.

:P I think it's a pretty good cross section of people testing here. Some of the more recent games really shine with more ram. I've moved up to 2 gigs. It's not because of benching, or microsoft it's because the programs and applications are requiring it. Most benchmarks don't benefit from more ram, just better ram.

As far as Microsoft getting away with it I'd have to say that it's their game and ball so what the heck. If I want to play with sticks and horseapples I can do that anytime I want. If I want to play baseball I gotta buy the equipment. :P

One thing that I think is of interest is that I see people with 3 to 4 year old machines wanting to add more memory to their machines. Somehow it's trickeled down to them to ask for more memory and not a new operating system or machine. Wonder where that's coming from.

I would say that the majority of the people who use the pit test don't even know about the forums. It's used more as a diagnostic tool for work PCs than it's used for home PCs.

older systems will surely increased help in u2u, from now maby a few years in the feature u2u will get hammered with hardware related issues!

im already starting to see pc's not booting due to upgrades or failing memory and psu's.

there are also alot of questions about upgrades for older pc's, like memory and video cards, havnt seen anyone looking for a pci-e card yet :)

The bad thing is, I'm gonna have to buy copies of basic and premium, just to work on the new PC's that come out. I was looking at Sunday's best buy flyer. All the PC's they had for sale where about split down the middle as far as each operating system. Plus I'm ganna have to have a hot line to MS, when I do a repair that requies an install. Kinda got used to that. I noticed the last 6 months of XP I had to call MS on over half the installs I did for repairs. To bad PC makers don't include OS disc with their PC's anymore. This is going to be a hassel

using readyboost for usb flash ram will help and its cheap, staples has a 1gb vista ready for $15 on sale

not sure why this thread is singling out vista for its hardware requirements...games and many applications also have higher requriements as new products emerge

many dells and hp's now come with 2 gigs of ddr2 standard

on my core2duo/2gig/2gig usb readyboosted rig i cant tell the difference, its faster than xp, games run the same if not better as far as i can notice without benchmarking which i shouldve done before i switched just so i know exactly.

i cant think of any past software throughout my 21 years of computer usage that something very new didnt require more power...otherwise we all might as well still be using tandy 5000's, now the smart:filtered: part of me just wants to sum up all that with the word "duh" lol

Of course new OS's require better hardware.

The difference is Vista has requirements that have increased 20 fold over it's predecessor, that is the first time any Operating system has increased requirements that much.

I have used numerous new operating systems that run on hardware XP would have a tough time with.

I was playing MAC OSX Tiger on a G4 400mhz with 128 ram this weekend, it ran great, I was amazed. They also had it installed on a 333mhz MAC, it also ran great. All the great 3D effects worked :tup:

Any recent Linux distribution will also run on similar hardware.

Vista.............not a chance in hell it would even come close to running on similar hardware :rofl3:

Edited by Bruce

Of course new OS's require better hardware.

The difference is Vista has requirements that have increased 20 fold over it's predecessor, that is the first time any Operating system has increased requirements that much.

I have used numerous new operating systems that run on hardware XP would have a tough time with.

I was playing MAC OSX Tiger on a G4 400mhz with 128 ram this weekend, it ran great, I was amazed. They also had it installed on a 333mhz MAC, it also ran great. All the great 3D effects worked :tup:

Any recent Linux distribution will also run on similar hardware.

Vista.............not a chance in hell it would even come close to running on similar hardware :rofl3:

20 fold? lets exaggerate shall we, but once again bruce you have managed to turn another vista thread into a linux vs vista case. however does the "not a chance" include what hardware users have put vista and xp on over at the vlite & nlite forums?

not sure why this thread is singling out vista for its hardware requirements...games and many applications also have higher requriements as new products emerge

many dells and hp's now come with 2 gigs of ddr2 standard

I was replying to this statement.

Because you use different software and applications then me does not make my or anyone else's opinions or comments any less valid.

Simple fact of the matter is there are many other operating systems and software applications that do need 2 gigs of ram to run decently.

Yes 20 fold is a pretty accurate number.

It is singling out Vista because nothing else anywhere has the kind of requirements that Vista has.

Edited by Bruce

BTW Clickme, I am not the first person to make the comparison, perhaps if you actually read the thread rather then just stabbing at people. ;)

Yes but you can understand a game eh? 2 gigs.......ok when you are playing on it.........you cant do naff all else.......I wana have PS, ImageReady and all sorts of other goodies on with Vista behind............but no I cant...........

Plus when I'm playing a game with 2 gigs...........do I want Vista to be gobbling up my precious RAM............no I dont think so

:thud:

I don't think many people will get Vista for a while...Most people will have it in years to come since the specs requried are rediculous...An operating system doesn't need to take up so many resources