Sign in to follow this  
cmunson

Vista - RAM Guzzler

you have to be kidding me

it not that big of a deal!!

if you went from Windows ME to XP

you didnt need to do a change, or a big one in fact.....but i think microsoft is telling you, if it has less than a gig of ram, and less than a 40 gig hard drive......UPGRADE!!!!!!

hahaha

now a days....dells got those suckers for like $500

not bad

1 gig of ram, dual core, 250 gig hard drive

one point is true though.....most of it is all looks, just a tad bit better security

I'm glad there are alternatives to Vista. I'm currently dabbling with Suse Linux and may get a Mac Mini to toy around with. I think I could get the Mac Mini for not too much more than the Ultimate Edition of Vista.

one point is true though.....most of it is all looks, just a tad bit better security

No. It's completely revolutionary to Microsoft's memory management system.

If you assemble a brand new computer with 2gb of ram, install Windows XP, and on your first boot up, you open notepad, and check the task manager to see how much free ram you have, you might see 1.7gb free ram. Great, you think. However, free ram is BAD. It's useless. It sits there, sucks power, and it's not doing anything.

Same situation with Windows Vista. You see 200mb of free ram. That means not only do you have all your automatic backups and antivirus running, but when you boot up IE7 (or Firefox/Opera, I would hope), it loads faster. SuperFetch is Microsoft's memory management process, and it learns what programs you use most often, when (weekends/weeknights, afternoon/2am, etc), and pre-loads the necessary info into the ram. So the ram is used when it might not need to be, but WHEN you need it, it helps. Even if it's wrong, it just loads what it needs into ram when you start the program, so at the very LEAST, it's no slower.

More info on superfetch can be found with googling. Is it going to work? Maybe. It's a great idea in theory, but who knows.

Edited by brett.mitchell

Hi Brett,

The main point behind the article is Vista requires more RAM than XP. That's more main memory and also more video memory. Overall, I think this is a bad thing for the industry. Not only does this further drive up the cost of PC's, but it also stops them from evolving in other ways.

In the long run, I think that we will want a PC in many of our key devices. A programmable device in a television would be very cool. Or a programmable device in your amplifier. Or in your car. In order for these things to happen, we need an operating system that looks at system resources as being precious. Not an operating system that is a resource hog.

LOL BB.

You are right that it has been a trend for the last 20 years. We used to call it the hardware/software spiral. Where innovation in one area drove innovation in the other. The problem is that the spiral is really not functioning right now. Innovation is at a low point. This ought to drive prices down, but instead prices are going up.

there are always allegations of price fixing going around too

Over the past few years, the DOJ has been embarking on a broad antitrust campaign against price fixing in the dynamic random access memory (DRAM) industry. While that investigation did not affect Nvidia or AMD, the DOJ did eventually fine four DRAM companies, including a former-executive from U.S.-based Micron Corp., who pleaded guilty to conspiracy charges.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2066727,00.asp

Rob, I completely agree with you.

I, for one, would not mind needing another 512mb of RAM every now and again. As long as the RAM was being used to achieve a feature which genuinely benefited me (I do not mean eye-candy)

Vista does have more capabilities from scratch mind, I'll give it that, but with OpenSUSE running with XGL open and with my updater, browser, IRC client, chat client, widget launcher, wallet manager, search indexer, sound mixer, power daemon, GPG encryption manager, filesystem journals and a few hundred other processes which I have selected it is using less RAM than the Vista does. All of my processes I have chosen as I think they are a genuine advantage to my system, with the exception of XGL which is running to show my friend that Aero is nothing new!

I knew Vista was considered a memory hog but my overclocking view of things said "hey just add more memory". While I can see the advantage of having a pc in your TV, amplifier, and car I have to think that things have been and will continue to get smaller. Just look at TVs and computers in general. While it might be requiring more memory it doesn't seem to me to be requiring more space. I also have to think that memories physical type is likely to provide the change in space and pricing. That is likely to be brought about by the increasing cost of it's current physical type and mfg requirements.

Besides Bruce likes Vista better than XP. :P It can't be all bad.

Besides Bruce likes Vista better than XP. :P It can't be all bad.

Ya but thats like saying if push comes to shove I prefer the smell of a garbage can over the stench of a cesspool. :pullhair:

Ya but thats like saying if push comes to shove I prefer the smell of a garbage can over the stench of a cesspool. :pullhair:

:laughing::laughing:

Are you sure you aren't British?

Something that you guys have to put into consideration is the fact that Vista will be out for a long time 5+ years.

In 5 years that memory will be the norm and you will have to have it anyway because most games will require it.

Operating systems like linux update alot more so with each release they can up it a little. Vista doesn't have that option.

I remember the same things being said when XP was released. Now alot of users have over 1gb. If you look at the gamers I believe the steam survey showed like 60% have over 1gig.

The only people now who don't have at least 1gig are those that do nothing but surf the net. Those people won't be getting Vista anyway.

Actually they claim never again will it take 5/6 years to develop an operating system. They used to release a new OS about every other year. Only Vista took this long and as I just stated they say the next one won't take that long.

To be totally honest, I think Vista is an improvement over all their previous operating systems, however after 6 years of development, I truly thought it would be much better/further advanced, a bigger improvement then what it is.

Something that you guys have to put into consideration is the fact that Vista will be out for a long time 5+ years.

In 5 years that memory will be the norm and you will have to have it anyway because most games will require it.

Operating systems like linux update alot more so with each release they can up it a little. Vista doesn't have that option.

I remember the same things being said when XP was released. Now alot of users have over 1gb. If you look at the gamers I believe the steam survey showed like 60% have over 1gig.

The only people now who don't have at least 1gig are those that do nothing but surf the net. Those people won't be getting Vista anyway.

I have a meaty (And new) linux distribution installed on a 256KB machine, runs like a charm.

But Tito does it look as good as Vista and have all the options?

Bruce I haven't heard of that quick release OS and I also seriously doubt they can pull it off. BUT If they do they had better make all the new OS's backward capable. Not only with software but also with drivers. It seems as if the video card manufacturers are having a hard enough time as it is with keeping up with the drivers.

Quick release? :lol:

You mean "normal" release ;)

Vista was not the norm for Microsoft when it comes to release schedules.

It was anything but the norm.

They claim the next release will not take four times as long as it should the Vista did.

So what is their normal timing for relese. If Windows 95 was infact released in 95, then Windows 98, then what? ME? Then 2000 followed by XP. So we had basically 5 releases in 5 years and then zip untill Vista now in 2006 or basically 2007.

The real question is when will the next release be. Because of price will it be an upgrade?

Who doesn't have 1 gb of RAM these days?

Big deal.

"In 5 years that memory will be the norm..."

In 5 years, 8 will be pretty common.

Well about 99% of the computers that I work on for other people have 256mb or less in them. Telling people they should add more memory and you get the blank deer in the headlights gaze :laughing:

We are talking about the here and now, not 5 to 8 years from now :lol:

Who doesn't have 1 gb of RAM these days?

well lets see, half the people i know :huh:

you dont really think alot of peeps have a gig of ram, do ya :blink: