Sign in to follow this  
Carlton

Sabayon - Gentoo based

http://www.sabayonlinux.org/

Has anyone looked at this distro? If the torrent speed hold up, I'll burn the dvd after work. Make my triple boot a quad boot.

My Fedora Core , Suse and PCLOS installs are working so good, I'm getting bored. Hmm, maybe it's time to install a couple of games.

This distro looks to have the latest and greatest of just about everything. The dvd is an installable live dvd with a few different options including installing game demo.

Posted Image

What's the turning desktop thingy called GLX ? It looks like it runs straight out of the box.

Sabayon is a real easy install. Uses the Anaconda installer so it's pretty well the same set up as Fedora Core. The desktop effects are pretty neat, I thinks it's Beryl...not sure though. Here's a shot of Firefox being minimized

Posted Image

Sabayon is a real easy install. Uses the Anaconda installer so it's pretty well the same set up as Fedora Core. The desktop effects are pretty neat, I thinks it's Beryl...not sure though. Here's a shot of Firefox being minimized

Posted Image

Sabayon is using Beryl, you have both the choice of aiglx and xgl, aiglx being the preferred choice. I think that Sabayon is the easy way in with Gentoo, and Portage is an excellent software management tool.

Sabayon is using Beryl, you have both the choice of aiglx and xgl, aiglx being the preferred choice. I think that Sabayon is the easy way in with Gentoo, and Portage is an excellent software management tool.

It's nice that all that eye candy comes pre-installed, but don't use it just for that. Xgl, aiglx, beryl, and compiz are easy enough to install on pretty much any distro, from what I can gather.

I installed it on Ubuntu Edgy in a matter of about 10 minutes.

Getting X64 version now. I'm probably not going to install it, but it looks worth it to try it out.

Tagging along at 600KBPS now. :tup:

Edited by brandon

It's nice that all that eye candy comes pre-installed, but don't use it just for that. Xgl, aiglx, beryl, and compiz are easy enough to install on pretty much any distro, from what I can gather.

I installed it on Ubuntu Edgy in a matter of about 10 minutes.

I'm not saying Sabayon is good because of xgl or aiglx, what I say is that it is the easy way into Gentoo. In my opinion, Portage as nothing to envy from the likes of Synaptic and apt-get.

I'm not saying Sabayon is good because of xgl or aiglx, what I say is that it is the easy way into Gentoo. In my opinion, Portage as nothing to envy from the likes of Synaptic and apt-get.

Gentoo now has a GUI installer, similar to the likes of Ubuntu.

It was never hard to install anyways, the handbook told you exactly what to do. It just took a little bit of effort. Well worth it really.

Went to their website, and it looked pretty nice.

I'm dl'ing the live dvd now, and I might play with it this weekend. Thanks for posting this :clap:

This distro's really pretty good. It's got everything but the kitchen sink :) I disabled all the fancy desktop effects, now it flies along pretty quick. :)

More notes on this distro for anyone thinking of trying it.

Package sources are added during the install. Karoo is the gui for the Portage package manager. Emerge is the command line installer. I've only installed a couple packages but Emerge really seems to work well.

su

emerge [i]packagename[/i]

Emerge will find the package, resolve dependancies, then run ./configure, make and make install. :)

Ubuntu and Fedora Core have been kicked off my machine......Suse, PCLOS and Sayabon remain.

I tried suse 10.1 and 10.2 and got rid of both of them. Tried pclos, and there are not enough software available, thought I could compilte what I needed.

I'm currently running Slackware 11.0, Fedora Core 6 (which I think is better then Suse) and Sabayon.

Isn't it great that there is so much choice out there between 1st class versions of Linux? I think so. :)

I would expect a user with long experience with Slackware not to want to dump it for SUSE. You're used to the way Slackware does things and it does them very well as does Fedora.

I'm more used to SUSE than any other with Redhat/Fedora being 2nd. That's really all there is to it for me.

Isn't it great that there is so much choice out there between 1st class versions of Linux? I think so. :)

Overall, yes. But to the Linux noob, like myself, it can be overwhelming. I have so many distros downloaded sitting on my file server, I don't have time to try them all. At least not before the versions are outdated.

I installed Suse 10.2 last night. I haven't had much time to play around with it. I'm trying to install it here at work on an old compaq, but it seems to be hanging up early on. It's stopped at the point that says

"NET: Registered protocol family 2"

Edited by Cowboy3000

I just replaced the DVD version with the miniEdition. The Mini version has plenty of apps available, the DVD had too many for my liking. K3B is all I need for burning....and so on.

Beryl effects are pretty neat at first, but I find it gets old pretty quick.

If anyone tries the miniCD, there are a couple apps and files you'll want to install. While the apps most folks use are installed from the miniCD, not all the plugins and necessities like libdvdcss are installed and neither is the Portage or Kuroo.

All are easy fixes, but just so you know going in.... :)

Edited by Carlton

If anyone tries the miniCD, there are a couple apps and files you'll want to install. While the apps most folks use are installed from the miniCD, not all the plugins and necessities like libdvdcss are installed and neither is the Portage or Kuroo.

All are easy fixes, but just so you know going in.... :)

Thanks for the heads up about Sabayon Carlton, I was thinking I would go for the miniCD myself to check it out. I always learn from and enjoy your posts. :tup: