Sign in to follow this  
trendwarfare

My Pc wont connect to the internet suddenly

Hi guys, i was wondering if you can help.

up until last night my pc was working fine, no problems. Installed a webcam, then it went wrong, when i restarted my pc the wireless internet is flashing (little sign by the clock) but when i try to connect to either the internet or MSN messenger, neither work. internet explorer just says the page wont load, due to no internet connection, but msn messenger says i have a bad IP address.

Has anyone had this problem, or know a way to fix it?

My PC SPECS: Windows XP Home Edition SP2, Internet Explorer 7, BT Broadband

If it is a bad IP address, you can resolve it by performing the following steps:

• Click the Start menu button on the Windows taskbar.
  • Click Run... on this menu.
  • Type cmd in the text box that appears. A command prompt window appears on the screen.
  • Type ipconfig to view the status of the computer's IP address(es).
  • If the computer is holding a current IP address, type ipconfig /release to let go of the address.
  • Type ipconfig /renew to obtain a new IP address (whether or not the computer is holding a current address).
If this doesn't work, please share what kind of webcam it is and does uninstalling it resolve the issue?

up until last night my pc was working fine, no problems. Installed a webcam, then it went wrong, when i restarted my pc the wireless internet is flashing (little sign by the clock) but when i try to connect to either the internet or MSN messenger, neither work. internet explorer just says the page wont load, due to no internet connection, but msn messenger says i have a bad IP address.

:( I've seen a lot of desperate calls for help when a wireless connection is strong and you can't access the internet or mail. One simple solution (and it's only for a few people) is that, if you have filtering software on your PC (CyberSitter, Net Nanny etc), that program may have defaulted to (or been defaulted to) it's 'no internet access' state.

It could be as simple as that.

This could happen if your on a shared PC and parents have installed the program and it's got corrupted or if someone had accidentally (or on purposes) set the access to none. Check if net nanny or CyberSitter are installed on your computer (or ask if it is) and,. if it is, this is likely the problem. If you are assured that it's not then, obviously, the will not help. Cheers.

TRY THIS TIP BY RR HIGH SPEED INTER NET

[1]Turn off and unplug your cable modem. [2] Turn off computer shut it down completely [3]Wait one minute

[4] Connect the power cord and wait two minutes [5] Restart your PC.

If your motem shows that you are connected but you cant connect and you have another modem such as a phone modem . Disconnect the phone modem and wait one min. then reconnect it.

I have experienced your same problem many times.

:wp::)

I don't live in USA, but I believe when you say broadband you mean High Speed Cable :P..

First thing is bypass the wireless router you have and connect your PC directly to the cable modem (Try it wired first). Try releasing and renewing an ip address as mentioned before, if you can thats good, please list your ip address if its not 169.254.x.x or 192.168.x.x (if neither of these, no need to mention it).

If you cannot renew the ip address and get an error message, please list the error message.

What cable modem do you use, like the brand and model of it.

Once you get the Internet working wired, go ahead and connect your wireless router.

If you can't, please reply to the steps mentioned.

Thanks and Good luck

If it is a bad IP address, you can resolve it by performing the following steps:

• Click the Start menu button on the Windows taskbar.
  • Click Run... on this menu.
  • Type cmd in the text box that appears. A command prompt window appears on the screen.
  • Type ipconfig to view the status of the computer's IP address(es).
  • If the computer is holding a current IP address, type ipconfig /release to let go of the address.
  • Type ipconfig /renew to obtain a new IP address (whether or not the computer is holding a current address).
If this doesn't work, please share what kind of webcam it is and does uninstalling it resolve the issue?

Hi im new to this site an i have a LAN connection to the internet. It was working last night and when i turned the computer on this morning it just says acquiring network. I did what you told another person to try an heres what i got. One more thing theres four other computers connected to the modem two wireless and two LAN and they all work.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Michael>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

C:\Documents and Settings\Michael>ipconfig/release

Windows IP Configuration

IP Address for adapter Local Area Connection has already been released.

C:\Documents and Settings\Michael>ipconfig/renew

Windows IP Configuration

An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection : Access is den

ied.

C:\Documents and Settings\Michael>

@mrcracker:

Go to internet options> conections> LAN settings> and check the setting for "automaticay detect settings"

Restert the PC and see if that helps.

If it doesn't, post a NEW topic in this forum and we will have a look at your problem seperatly, so as not to confuse the 2 threads in one topic (just a little bit of Pit ettiquette)

:wp:

Edited by nigsy