Sign in to follow this  
Minnie

Do you really want to know how to forward emails?

1) When you forward an e-mail, DELETE all of the other addresses that appear in the body of the message (at the top). That's right, DELETE them. Highlight them and delete them, backspace them, cut them, whatever it is you know how to do. It only takes a second. You MUST click the "Forward" button first and then you will have full editing capabilities against the body and headers of the message. If you don't click on "Forward" first, you won't be able to edit the message at all.

(2) Whenever you send an e-mail to more than one person, do NOT use the To: or Cc: fields for adding e-mail addresses. Always use the BCC:(blind carbon copy) field for listing the e-mail addresses. This is the way the people you send to will only see their own e-mail address. If you don't see your BCC: option click on where it says To: and your address list will appear. Highlight the address and choose BCC: and that's it, it's that easy. When you send to BCC: your message will automatically say "Undisclosed Recipients in the "TO:" field of the people who receive it.

(3) Remove any "FW :" in the subject line. You can re-name the subject if you wish or even fix spelling and take all the junk [emotions etc] off the end of the e-mail as well !!

(4) ALWAYS hit your Forward button from the actual e-mail you are reading. Ever get those e-mails that you have to open 10 pages to read the one page with the information on it? By Forwarding from the actual page you wish someone to view, you stop them from having to open many e-mails just to see what you sent.

Learned this from a great gal! :)

If you don't see your BCC: option click on where it says To: and your address list will appear. Highlight the address and choose BCC

Great tip! I wish everyone would get the hang of this. I have a standard email regarding this issue that I send to newbies.

In order to always see the Bcc: heading along with To and CC, after you click the Forward button, click up top on View > All Headers. Once checked you will always see Bcc. Then when you click Bcc to access your address book, simple double click the name and it will go into the Bcc: area.

1) When you forward an e-mail, DELETE all of the other addresses that appear in the body of the message (at the top). That's right, DELETE them. Highlight them and delete them, backspace them, cut them, whatever it is you know how to do. It only takes a second. You MUST click the "Forward" button first and then you will have full editing capabilities against the body and headers of the message. If you don't click on "Forward" first, you won't be able to edit the message at all.

(2) Whenever you send an e-mail to more than one person, do NOT use the To: or Cc: fields for adding e-mail addresses. Always use the BCC:(blind carbon copy) field for listing the e-mail addresses. This is the way the people you send to will only see their own e-mail address. If you don't see your BCC: option click on where it says To: and your address list will appear. Highlight the address and choose BCC: and that's it, it's that easy. When you send to BCC: your message will automatically say "Undisclosed Recipients in the "TO:" field of the people who receive it.

(3) Remove any "FW :" in the subject line. You can re-name the subject if you wish or even fix spelling and take all the junk [emotions etc] off the end of the e-mail as well !!

(4) ALWAYS hit your Forward button from the actual e-mail you are reading. Ever get those e-mails that you have to open 10 pages to read the one page with the information on it? By Forwarding from the actual page you wish someone to view, you stop them from having to open many e-mails just to see what you sent.

NEVER USE BCC! For some obscure reason, many otherwise intelligent organizations (such as MIT) decided that "BCC" was only used by spammers, and automatically delete such messages. A long time ago, I used to recommend "BCC" to my friends, to help reduce spam, and now I do not receive any emails from them anymore.

Strange how things come back and get you.

Bob Covelli (From firsthand ad experience.)

I do this all the time with my e-mails and wish everyone would! I do have friends that use AOL, however, and I know that when you "forward" from them, the original message appears as an attachment and corrections and/or deletions cannot be made. How do you do this when forwarding AOL messages?

Thank you,

Poochie5288

:pullhair: 50% you say? Oh, no. More like 10% who know how to forward things. I'm sick and tired, sick and tired, do you hear of having to delete that junk, all those addresses so it doesn't go on and on around the world. It's real easy. Just click forward, delete all that junk and send it on. If I were evil and I am, I could have the address of 20,000 people by now. Don't they have a clue as to what they are doing? :thud: Edited by beloved

I've been harping on this for several years. I even have a special folder in my 3 email programs just for items like the previous link ( which is one I'd not seen before, Thank you ) that I've sent to pretty much everyone in my address book if they weren't already using Bcc. Some were happy with the info , some have just ignored it & continue to send their usual way ( maybe not understanding how to do it? ) and one pretty much told me "where to go", that she was tired of my harping & that no one else complained. She uses AOL & I noticed that most of the addresses she sent to or received from were also AOL , so I'd be interested also if someone knows how to use Bcc in AOL. One said he liked having all the addresses visable so he wouldn't forward to someone that had already received it.

NEVER USE BCC! For some obscure reason, many otherwise intelligent organizations (such as MIT) decided that "BCC" was only used by spammers, and automatically delete such messages. A long time ago, I used to recommend "BCC" to my friends, to help reduce spam, and now I do not receive any emails from them anymore.

Bob is right! The original post recommended using BCC, but many new spam filters will filter out your emails and put them in the trash, never to be seen by the recipient. Unfortunately the best approach is dependent on who your sending it to and if you really want them to get the message.

I like the original recommendation and wish more people would use it.

Mozilla Thunderbird apparently hides the message-in-a-message from the reader, but sends it all when it's forwarded. I get those messages where you have to open up many embedded emails to get to the original. I'm still using ...(embarrassed)OE, because of several hotmail accounts.

- Rower

Even if you don't BCC Spam Filters could pick up emails in companies that get sent emails. I do a mass emailing of a newsletter every month for work and I use BCC and yes some of them get blocked but also some get blocked when not using BCC. There are many factors in why Spam Blockers would pick up the emails. And saying NOT to use BCC because it WILL automatically get picked up or deleted is not true. And there are many reasons for using BCC just not Spammers use it.

Here's how to use Bcc on AOL. First right click on the E-mail you want to forward then click forward when the window pops up with the E-mail at the end of the Cc colom it says show Bcc click it then just put in your E-mail addresses.

I'd say the problem is with Spam filters and need to tweak that Bcc thing a bit. Bcc is a very legitimate tool. They should have an option to allow Bcc'd emails.

I have and always use Bcc, all my recipients only see their own name and no others.

I have a list called "funny friends" with close to 400 names and we pass around hundreds of jokes, good ones, no slop, every month.

My web site is built and managed by me, and has a spam trapper program. This program is similar to the jumkmail filters in many other message programs such as hotmail, AOL (cussword sorry), yahoo, google and others.

I have found that if your recipient does not have you in their safe list, even to large corporations, you might, note "might" get blocked as spam. If your address in in their safe or accepted list or their address book, you will probably never get a message blocked.

As far as corporations, the use of some companies email for personal use is strictly prohibited. I know of some folks who have came close to losing thier jobs for this, so the corporations that block Bcc'd mail, may even block you otherwise, if they have a spam program.

My own program makes you reply, if you're not already in the "whitelist", to prove you are a real live human being.

It even says this in the message. Once you reply, you are automatically added to the whitelist. If you don't, the message is deleted after a couple days and I never see it.

If you know of someone working for a company with strict email policies, you should respect this person and not get them in trouble. Otherwise keep on using Bcc, then you never have email addresses ripped off as mentioned earlier.

Just my opinion, however I am sure as always my wife will disagree :argue:

Good day.

Edited by jimholley1

Hello, :D I am new here, but this did catch my eye as I find it a problemas well.

I have been doing this since the very first one I received, not only to protect the other receivers' addresses (never know where it will be forwarded to) but also the length issue!

I would add - know what type of emails your contacts would appreciate and those they would not. Personally, I never forward a chain and I don't read any with a religious connotation. I have let my contacts know this, yet I still receive them. I believe my address is included in a group to whom mail is forwarded.

My mailbox has been flooded with this type of mail at times, sent the same day or next. It is almost becoming as much of an issue as spam. :erm:

mikayla :adios:

Using my MSN Hotmail account, I have a devil of a time getting "attachments" to travel with the note to their destinations. Hotmail is no help. I click on the paper clip, or the "attach" setup......have tried just about everything. Nothing seems to help.

I've threatened to sell all those addresses. "Please send me more addresses Mrs. X. I make a lot of money selling them to spammers."

I don't receive any chain letters about anything from anyone anymore.

Every time I have I would thank the sender profusely for the profit and ask that they send more. It wasn't too long before they stopped coming all together.

By the way, does anyone know where to sell E-mail addresses? :shifty: