Sign in to follow this  
OneCool

Does anyone have a PS3 yet?

Yip, quick Google search shows 360 is losing $126 per console. However this is an estimate, the exact cost of each component wasn't known.

As for the Wii, here in the UK it's on sale for $355 (£180) at the minute (HMV etc.) while it costs $238 to biuld. That's one hell of a profit... Here's a break down of the Retail/Cost for the accessories (in $):

WII CONSOLE - 249.99 / 237.50

WII REMOTE CONTROL - 39.99 / 32.00

WII POINTS CARD - 24.99 / 17.00

WII CLASSIC CONTROLLER - 19.99 / 14.50

WII NUNCHUK CONTROLLER - 19.99 / 14.50

WII GPAK ORGANIZER&TRAVEL - 29.99 / 18.95

WII RAYMAN RAVING RABIDS - 49.99 / 41.2

WII THE LEGEND OF ZELDA:TW - 49.99 / 40.00

WII RED STEEL REVOLUTION - 49.99 / 41.22

The PS3 is losing something like $250 per console.. huge loss anyway.

THere is still packaging, transport to this small island and the fact that both the the retailer and Nintendo make profit from that.

But still, NIntendo has the best priced products at the highest profit ratio, well done I say.

sony looses 250 and 300 USD on every ps3 sold. in order to break even sony has to sell 6 games with every ps3 sold. microsoft is making 75 usd on every xbox 360, and the wii is making i believe around 125 bucks on each console sold.

Sony needs to sell more than 6 games to make up that 250-300 USD, they're not making 50 per game, closer to 10. They need to sell 25-30 games per PS3 to break even, and that'll never happen.

Look near to the bottom

Assuming the lower amount of 25 games at 60 bucks a pop, they want us to spend 1500 USD on top of the 500-600 already spent on the console.

So consumers must spend at least 2000 USD for Sony to make a single cent off of a PS3.

The PS3 will have to go down in price as the market begins to become more saturated with them, there is obviously something that Sony is not disclosing with regards to their cost to manufacture a PS3. Their so called cost could be calculated as a retail cost to build, not including economies of scale. Anyways, Sony is over inflating their cost to manufacture a PS3; Sony would simply scrap the PS3 if they were going to loose money on it in the long run.

every consul loses money for at least 1-2 years from the start of production. Correct me if I am wrong but I believe the Wii is the first consul to turn a profit right away and its able to do so only because it uses last generation technology on everything but its control method. I see no reason why Sony wouldnt lose as much as everyone is saying. Look at the cost of your average Blue Ray player and then compare that to the cost of the Sony. Add in engineering and development, marketing etc and the costs for Sony clmb. What Sony did was decide to take a bigger than normal loss on its consul in order to hedge the Blue Ray name and format. Sonys plan is for the long haul. They know that they will eventually bring their costs down and people will eventually spend money on games and movies. The "and movies" part is key. Sony is making money off every Blue Ray movie that is sold also.

The Blu-Ray player itself costs $129 on the PS3 one2. I don't know why they charge so much, because it doesn't cost too much to make.

Ironically, the most expensive part of the PS3 isn't the Blu-Ray player, but the graphics chip.

so its a random out of the blue number, if it only cost $130 to build a blue ray player they wouldnt retail for over 600-1000. I can see the $130 in parts alone maybe but I doubt that includes the cost of engineering and manufacturing at this point in time.

130x3 = $390

Thats a 300% markup and it still comes in under $400.

Edited by one2gamble

I see no reason why Sony wouldnt lose as much as everyone is saying

I have no doubt that they would be willing to absorb a small loss on each console, but there is no way that they would lose $250 per system. The pricing for the components that everyone is seeing has to be retail pricing, so the price that you would pay for the component and not the price that Sony pays for the component. If I could buy a si920217as harddrive at the local computer shop, then it would be about $43... Sony probably gets it for around $20 because they are buying millions of them.

Edited by cpuguru

Ok so heres a question. Can you really see the latest 360 games, in a couple of years, fitting onto a standard dvd disk?? Ive heard talk of 4-disk games in development

Ok so heres a question. Can you really see the latest 360 games, in a couple of years, fitting onto a standard dvd disk?? Ive heard talk of 4-disk games in development

Yes, I can see them fitting onto a single DVD. The problem is that the developers are going nuts with high-resolution textures instead of filling the space with actual content. They need to learn to work with what they have and perfect that first before asking for more.

So what does happen if a developer fills up an entire 25GB blu-ray disk? I bet you the game won't actually be any longer than most games today, just bigger in scope with high-resolution textures all over. Making a long game takes effort, making a big game not so much. Think about the technical details of blu-ray:

5 times as much storage space as DVDs.

3 times the read speed of DVDs.

And that means load times that are 5/3 times longer. Up to 166% longer load times, it's what every gamer wants!

Edited by RandomX

that site says there is an $840 material cost on the top end ps3. Add in manufacturing/advertising/shipping and Sony is easily losing well over $300 per consul.

your crazy if you honestly believe that they are loosing that much per consul, I don't doubt that they are loosing money; however, I would look for it to be in the $50-$100 range.

Alot of people must be crazy then, because that is how much Sony is losing per console.

The 360 itself is losing over $100 per console, and it is far less complex than the PS3. The only system actually making a profit per unti sold is the Wii Wii.

Edited by brandon

http://www.engadget.com/2006/11/16/sony-lo...ot-on-each-ps3/

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6161925.html

Of course those numbers will drop as time marches on but lets $200 per consul and be generous. They have to sell a lot of games/blue-ray movies and accessories to recoup that kind of money.

Though the way technology is advancing I can see them turning a profit after 1 year of production assuming Blue-Ray can get a foot hold on the market.

Ive been fiddling with the PS3 for a few days now and find it somewhat unremarkable. Its brought nothing new to gaming besides "1080P HD" on certain titles.

http://www.destructoid.com/playstation-3-k...se--28860.phtml

Oh and locking up is now a "feature" per Sonys PR/Support department from what I understand. Looking at the case I bet they are simply overheating.

Edited by one2gamble

Yeah if you play the Moto demo to long the screen cracks (fake) and the demo shuts down the system.

I bought a X-box 360 about 2 weeks ago..Gears of War is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah yeah....I dont want to hear it :hammer:

A good game is just that... a good game :)

Welll I've had my PS3 for almost a month now, I'm loving it!! The launch titles leave something to be desired... but I know time will bring some amazing games to the console. Playing the Gran Turismo HD demo is proof enough of that....simply an amazing looking game.

If anyone plays PS3 online.... let's play!!! I have COD 3, Resistance, Fight Night, Madden, and Ridge Racer.

I broke down and bought myself an Xbox 360 a few days before Christmas. I only have a few games, but I am impressed with it. I've been so rediculously busy I've only been able to play for maybe 15 hours total so far. Graphics beat the heck out of the original xbox. I walked into Toys R Us and on the display there was an ad saying that you would receive a free $100 gift card with the purchase of a system. Drove the nail into the coffin. Got 2 free games from that deal.

From what I've heard PS3 and Xbox 360 have basically the same graphics.

Edited by The Dude

wow this thread is still alive? ok here we go again. MS is making money off the 360. around 75$ a unit. yes sony is throwing away 250 bucks per ps3 sold. yes gears of war is the best looking game out. GTHD for the ps3 was dropped and is not comin out anymore, thus the reason why a free demo came out. and yes the ps3 has hdmi which the 360 doesnt, but what good is hdmi when you dont have any cool games to play?