Sign in to follow this  
OneCool

Does anyone have a PS3 yet?

This thread should be renamed to "Does anyone want a PS3 yet?".

Limited availability, graphics on the same level as the less expensive (and easier to buy) Xbox 360, expensive games, expensive peripherals, ridiculous power usage, and having to put up with Sony's first generation :filtered:? Nah I don't think so.

If you really want one, I very strongly suggest that you wait a few months (at the least). By then they should be more widely available, have dropped in price, have more games out, and you won't be stuck with as many of the first gen hardware failures.

Example. My neighbor imported a PS2 for 2 grand when it first came out in japan (idiot). It broke in 2 weeks. 1st generation products from Sony = beta testing at the consumer's expense.

I wont be getting one, at least not any time soon, but I did hear on the radio that they are making it so it's like seti, basically when your done playing for the day you plug it into the net, then they use it's processing power to help find cures for the worlds illnesses.

i gotta say i have played a ps3 and im not impressed at all. no way is it worth 500 and 600 bucks. the games looks no better and in some games worst than the 360 release. loadtimes are soo long, like 27 sec load without the files loaded on the hard drive. ill pass on this pos3

I wont be getting one, at least not any time soon, but I did hear on the radio that they are making it so it's like seti, basically when your done playing for the day you plug it into the net, then they use it's processing power to help find cures for the worlds illnesses.

Yes, you can run folding@home on it.

PS3 will not do well, unless the idiotic market falls for it again.

This idiot wants one and will snap one up at the first opportunity.

Comparing the PS3 to the 360 at this point is simply unfair. Compare the titles being released a year from now, that will be fair. The PS3, in my mind, is better because it's compatible with 90+ % of PS2/PS1 games, it plays next-gen media(bluray) right out of the box, has the superior controller, better graphics(not yet, but all developers has said it will), the online service is free, and (least importantly) it looks way awesome.

This idiot wants one and will snap one up at the first opportunity.

Comparing the PS3 to the 360 at this point is simply unfair. Compare the titles being released a year from now, that will be fair. The PS3, in my mind, is better because it's compatible with 90+ % of PS2/PS1 games, it plays next-gen media(bluray) right out of the box, has the superior controller, better graphics(not yet, but all developers has said it will), the online service is free, and (least importantly) it looks way awesome.

Yup, somehow a GPU based off nVidia's 7900 series card will have better graphics than a souped up X1900... PS3 is a joke, and the only good thing about it is its backwards compatibility with PS2 & PS1 games.

The graphics chipset is basically an underclocked 7900.

The PS3 will do fine, though, as long as the games don't develop Doom 3 Syndrome like I know at least half of them will. It'll have its ups and downs, but the cost of it doesn't seem justified. It's a game machine, but Sony's trying to make like it's not.

dunno if you guys knew, but sony released a press statment on it's release day saying that the ps3 wouldn't be able to either play correctly, or play AT ALL, 8000 of the 16000 titles made for the ps1/2

as far as being a game machine, it really isn't. just like the xbox/xbox 360, they're now in the market to attract people that wouldn't normally buy a console by making it a dvd/media player also. smart marketing move, sad move by way of game performance. only real game console that has been released lately is the Wii since it's made to actually play games on, LOL

Honestly, I do not think that Sony is going to get very far with PS3 at the rate they're going. For one it's extremely overpriced, far more than the casual gamer, or some hardcore for that matter, are willing to shell out for one console. I also think the fact that they made Blue-ray their disc format of choice was poor. Lots of console owners not only use their systems to play games but also DVD's, not all DVD's are available in the Blue-ray format. The Xbox 360 is a real threat for exactly these reasons, it's more reasonable in price, they use the standard DVD/game format for their discs, and if by any chance they deem it neccesary to play catch up with the PS3 they have the ability to develop an external Blue-ray drive for seperate purchase that'll hook right up to the console. Not to mention from what I've seen of the games the PS3 sports, not impressive or inspiring at all. So, there's my $0.02.

Love how things get twisted.

200 out of 8000 PS2 games are not compatible. That is nothing. Almost all of the PS1 games work.

As for the power of PS3

The PS3, it seems, packs quite a punch.

So says John Carmack, the legendary programmer of the Doom and Quake series, in an intriguing interview with Buzzscope. Though Carmack expresses a "preference" for the Xbox 360's CPU design, he admits that the PS3 "will have a bit more peak power."

http://www.gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=50983

Hmm Hmm....we shall see.

Edited by ChrisR

The Wii is the only one that interests me, backwards cmpatible with nes, snes, n64, GC and sega.

The superior controller.

Graphics which are perfectly adequate.

A price tag you can't say no to.

Nintendo never has the games I like..seems to be pushed more to the pre-teen crowd.

Besides im WAAAAYYY to lazy for all that jumpin around and moving hands and crap.

Ive seen HD-DVD (Xbox 360)and Blu-Ray(PS3) on the same brand/model HDTV playing the same movie side by side...theres no comparison Blu-Ray looks sooo much better.

This thread has just convinced me that I am officially old. I definitely can't see spending that much money on any console and the idea of arguing about it seems even more troublesome. I'm gonna go find a blanket, watch Quantum Leap, drink some ensure, and take a nap. :geezer:

If you want to play PS1/PS2 games, buy a PS1/PS2. :shrug:

If Sony wanted to make it viable to the average user, they could have easily dropped the backwards support and the blu-ray. DVD's have been around for a while and by now most of the kinks have been worked out. Why start over with a new format. The answer they tell you is that it's to provide more storage space, which is true, but the real reason is that Sony wants to install an artificial user base for blu-ray.

Who really wants to buy just a 1000$ player to rebuy movies you already have on an expensive new format, so you can watch it in a quality that most tv's don't even support?

Plus: more powerful cards and bigger files does not always equal better graphics.

The louvre has some beautiful images, but the FPS is terrible.

This thread has just convinced me that I am officially old. I definitely can't see spending that much money on any console and the idea of arguing about it seems even more troublesome. I'm gonna go find a blanket, watch Quantum Leap, drink some ensure, and take a nap. :geezer:

:rofl2:

But Neo it will run Linux :lol:

the GPU in the PS3 has been proven weaker than the 360's. from what i have read the 360's gpu is based off the r600 which is ATI's unreleased top dog. the RSX is a watered down 7900 gt, which nvidia just made obsolete with the release of the 8800.

Epic President Mark Rein ripped SONY. Responding to the Playstation maker's claims of being the inaugurators of "true" next-generation videogameing, the outspoken Rein retorted:

"Sony says the next generation starts when they say so. I say , that's bull****. Gears Of War is the first second-generation game for X Box 360 and it looks very fine. You will never see [PS3] launch titles that look this good." Now that SONY has upset Epic as a company, many believe Unreal Tournament 2007 is a sure thing for 360.

finding quotes are fun.

Why does this all even matter? We know the PS3 will sell out no mater how good or bad of a console it is. The only thing I see wrong with the PS3 is the price.

one :the price is way too high. only hardcore gamers or people who want to sell on ebay will get a ps3 for 500 and 600 bucks, everyone else has to deal with the crazy high auction prices.

two:sony is forcing an unproven media on people . if the ps3 didnt have a blu-ray drive, the price could be about 200 dollars cheaper.

three: exclusives are a thing of the past. sony had all the big games back in the day, which is why so many people bought a ps1 and 2. now it costs too much for 3rd party devs to create games for one platform, which is good for us now.

four:currently with the games which were release on both platforms like call of duty 3 they run smoother, look better,and load fater on the xbox 360.

i could go on

The PS3 is the best system to get. its better then the 360 obviously and it can play bluray DVD's.. the Xbox 360 requires the hd dvd module which is about 150$ or even $200 to watch movies on.(PS3 doesnt need this) also you need to keep in mind that the PS3 is a next gen gaming console. just as well a home computer.. you can get online and goto ebay.. simply with the controler or hook up a usb keyboard and a mouse. consoles like these are confusing me.. we already have a computer.. and a console is just slowly turning in to a computer as well.. but for $499 you cannot get a better buy. the thing is a home computer. a Bluray player.. and a next gen gaming console.. before you start talking :filtered: about the console. itleast look at the video review from c-net.. the xbox 360 may be cheaper. but its game availability isnt as good as the ps3.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_PlayStation_3...7-31355103.html

Edited by burned-ati

It has a web browser, that does not qualify it as a home computer.

The Nintendo DS has a web browser, as does the Wii.

omg please show me the good games that are out on the ps3 right now. ps3 has nothing.all of the games that are out now are ports of xbox 360 games and flops. not one AAA title in the ps3 lineup. and the games that are on both the 360 and the ps3 look and play better on the 360. as far as blu-ray built in, tell me how many people bought a ps3 did it for the cheap blu-ray player they installed? blu-ray movies dont look at good as hd dvd movies and thats a fact. the new york times and time mag just did a story on the ps3 saying it wasnt worth the money and that they werent impressed at all by what sony did with the ps3.