Sign in to follow this  
stormy13

Add Group Policy Editor to XP Home

This is for anyone running XP Home and would like to add the Group Policy Editor that you have probably seen mentioned many times, but can only be used in XP Pro. You can find all the necessary files required to have gpedit here,

http://files.filefront.com/GPEdit_Fileszip/;6235551

and instructions on where to put the files. Once installed you can instructions on how to use gpedit here,

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307882/en-us

very nice stormy, we wont need xp pro to use gpedit :tup:

now if only you could figure out how to get ASR to work in home addition :mrgreen:

now if only you could figure out how to get ASR to work in home addition :mrgreen:

Simplicity in itself. If a XP Home user wants the NTBackup utility it can be installed easily from their XP cd. Just pop the cd in and navigate to VALUEADD\MSFT\NTBACKUP, and you will find the installer. :mrgreen:

DUH, i just answered my own question :rofl2:

edit: again, it still doesnt function regardless for the fact that it will not format the drive, it will only work similar to system restore!

Edited by duanester

Well it may not do it automatically (ASR that is) but it can still be done manually, which is better than not working at all.

i guess you are correct, once in in windows after a reformat the pc can be restored from a bkp. makes sense :)

again, great tip stormy

I tried to add the Group Policy Editor to Windows XP Home Edition but I was unable to get it to work. :(

I downloaded the files and followed the instructions but for some reason I couldn't register this file (appmgmts.dll).

Error Message: (appmgmts.dll) was loaded, but the DllRegister Server entry point was not found, file can't be registered. All of the other (dll files) could be registered except for the one listed. I have tried this with SP1 & SP2 and I still get the same result.

When I type in (gpedit.msc) the Group Policy Editor does load but it doesn't keep any of the settings. :blink:

Any ideas on how I can get this to work? :pullhair:

Plain and simple you can't add GPE to Windows XP Home Edition, so don't waste your time trying to install it!

Edited by Randy1

i guess you are correct, once in in windows after a reformat the pc can be restored from a bkp. makes sense :)

again, great tip stormy

this is how M$ explains it....

NTBackup Backup/Restore and ASR release notes

Backup/Restore

ASR

1. ASR is not supported on home edition.

IF you install NtBackup from the CD to the Home Edition, ASR functionality will appear to work fine during

the backup session. Since the setup does not support ASR in the home edition, there is no way to initiate

the ASR restore in case of a disaster. If you need to restore from this session, install Windows XP manually

and then restore from the ASR media.

2. Backup to CDRW

If you decide to backup to a CDRW, you cannot target that device directly. You must create a backup set of

650MB or less and backup to a file. After the file is complete, copy the file to the CDRW.

Please refer to the readme for XP home edition for additional notes.

Same here too as Randy1 said any solutions?

Same here, is it possible?

I found many links saying it is not supported, "XP home is not designed to enter a domain" or something like that.

Hi, i am new here in this forum, but This tip ofgetting gpedit.msc in Win Home XP makes no sense because I tried the same with one of my friends pc and couldn't succeeded.

I tried to add the Group Policy Editor to Windows XP Home Edition but I was unable to get it to work. :(

I downloaded the files and followed the instructions but for some reason I couldn't register this file (appmgmts.dll).

Error Message: (appmgmts.dll) was loaded, but the DllRegister Server entry point was not found, file can't be registered. All of the other (dll files) could be registered except for the one listed. I have tried this with SP1 & SP2 and I still get the same result.

When I type in (gpedit.msc) the Group Policy Editor does load but it doesn't keep any of the settings. :blink:

Any ideas on how I can get this to work? :pullhair:

Plain and simple you can't add GPE to Windows XP Home Edition, so don't waste your time trying to install it!

I had the same problem till I put all the files in the \windows\system32 directory and not in subfolders in the \windows\system32 directory.

I had the same problem till I put all the files in the \windows\system32 directory and not in subfolders in the \windows\system32 directory.

Hi Ethan:

I just tried doing the install of the necessary files and folders to activate Group Policy Editor on XP Home, but like a prior member pointed out, I'm also not able to register 'appmgmts.dll'. It was saved, as directed, in the windows\system32 folder. I was not clear on what you did to make it work.

Can you clarify? Thanks Ethan. -SA Jack

Hi Ethan:

I just tried doing the install of the necessary files and folders to activate Group Policy Editor on XP Home, but like a prior member pointed out, I'm also not able to register 'appmgmts.dll'. It was saved, as directed, in the windows\system32 folder. I was not clear on what you did to make it work.

Can you clarify? Thanks Ethan. -SA Jack

I've had that error. It doesn't seem to matter.

Anyway, I've managed to work a DOS installer into this package so you don't have to manually copy, paste and register the files:

http://www.robertthompson.me.uk/GPedit2.zip

i tryed follow the directions and it didnt work can you help me stormy!! ty

mine didnt work at all i put both the folders in and tryed to put the c:\windows\system32\gpedit.dll nothing popup couldnt find it whats up! ? HELP!

Edited by MrDrEaMeRs

You're not trying to run gpedit.dll...you need to run gpedit.msc. Try my version with an installer (http://www.robertthompson.me.uk/xptricks/gpedit.htm) if it still won't work. The installer makes sure everything goes where it needs to. Then try running gpedit.msc from the start menu. =)

I just want to thank everyone involved w/ this, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!.

I had the same problem also with the appmgmts.dll not registering and I was able to use group policy to modify the annoying windows update restart...

CHEERS!!!!

:tup::tup::tup::clap::clap::clap::b33r::b33r::b33r::wub::wub::wub:

Hello,

It didn't work for me.

I have try differant package and take files from som XP pro, the install of gpedit console works fine and i can use it but all change i have try don't aplly.

I have try with User - startup script / Machine - Firewall setting / Machine - Software restriction. All of these didn't apply.

When i watch in registery i don't see any new keys registered in HKLM/Software/Policies and HKCU/Software/Policies.

The system who i m trying it was a XP Home SP3 French.

Anyone have Idea?