Sign in to follow this  
pirell

"windows cannot format this drive. quit any programs.."

... hello people, ive been trying to format my partitioned drive, its not the system drive, its the partition. its slowing down the pc, as it hasnt been defragmented for a while, but i cant get it to degragment or format.

each time i try doing this, it tells me "windows cannot formatt this drive. quit any disk utilities or programs that may be using this drive, and close any open windows with the drive contents showing"

i have tried formatting in the command prompt ms dos window, that also tells me that the drive is locked.

i have partitioned my 80 gig drive into two, one shows up as system drive and the other as (page file) in computer management screen.

i am running mcafee internet suite, but i have turned everything off before formatting but still cant do it.

another thing is that like i said, i cnt even run disk defragmenter, when i try this, it gives me "disk defragmenter has detected that chkdsk is scheduled to run on the volume D: (the drive im trying to format or defrag)..pls run chkdsk. as a result, each time i restart my pc...i get a message saying chddsk is running on D drive.

i have also removed any scheduled tasks, so i dont knwo where this taks is coming from. any help..would be much apprecaiated. :beer:

p.s.

i am running windows xp pro, so its an NTFS drive.

Edited by pirell

First, :wp:

Have you tried the format in safe mode? Tap F8 at the first screen and choose safe mode from the menu that appears.

First, :wp:

Have you tried the format in safe mode? Tap F8 at the first screen and choose safe mode from the menu that appears.

i will do. any other ideas? thanks