Sign in to follow this  
stormy13

Little fingers

This is for anyone with small children that like to come along and push the power button on the computer, usually right when you're in the middle of something.

Go to Control Panel-Power Options and click on the Advanced tab. In the drop box called "When I press the power button on my computer" set to either "Do nothing" or "Ask me what to do". The first is self-explanatory, and the second brings up the option window when you click "Turn off computer" on the Start menu.

Now you won't have those little fingers coming along while you are in the middle of something and turning the computer off on you while you're in the middle of something and causing you to lose what you're working on.

Haven't come across something similar for the Reset button (if present) other than to disconnect it from the motherboard. Then again if your computer has frozen to the point that you need to reset, flipping the switch on the power supply will accomplish the same thing.

Nice one!

It will come in very handy for some people.

Not much chance of a reset one, if that can be set anywhere it would be the bios. Of course you could always disconnect the switch.

Just a note...if you do this with a laptop you may have some problems..

For example..if your computer is not responding and you have to press the power button to shut it down...the computer wont do anything if you change that option and with a laptop you will have to unplug the AC power plus remove the battery just to turn it off (in cases where the normal shutdown/restart does not work) :P

i give this a thumbs up stormy, i for one have kids running about causing habbik :lol:

im constantly doing things sensitive on my pc and hitting the power button will destroy the countless hours of data i compiled, its happened before and never thought of this trick, i blocked the button with my hands though :rofl2:

as for laptops, the button is on the keypad and you wont need this setting, the odds of it happening on a desktop are much greater!

:clap:

Great tip, I applied this on all the pc's in our school, especially in the kindergarden classes its very, very appreciated

Good tip!

Did this when my little brother would crawl around on the floor and push any button he saw.

Made my parents crazy when they would be on the computer and he would crawl up press the power button and then look up smiling at them.

:lol:

I am not really that far advanced as far as this computer stuff goes, I have my brother fix it if it decides it wants to have a mind of it's own. lol But, one thing I remember from my computer classes in High school, (we worked on Apple II GS that's how long ago) we were always taught to save stuff about every 5 minutes if it was really important. Myself, having 3 kids, I have found this advice invaluable also. Just my 2 cents worth.

This is for anyone with small children that like to come along and push the power button on the computer, usually right when you're in the middle of something.

Go to Control Panel-Power Options and click on the Advanced tab. In the drop box called "When I press the power button on my computer" set to either "Do nothing" or "Ask me what to do". The first is self-explanatory, and the second brings up the option window when you click "Turn off computer" on the Start menu.

Now you won't have those little fingers coming along while you are in the middle of something and turning the computer off on you while you're in the middle of something and causing you to lose what you're working on.

Haven't come across something similar for the Reset button (if present) other than to disconnect it from the motherboard. Then again if your computer has frozen to the point that you need to reset, flipping the switch on the power supply will accomplish the same thing.

LOVE THIS!Junior will have to find a new game to play with daddy.

:) Awesome tip. I had mine set like this as well. My kids no better to touch our computers but my puppy always sleeps by me and he had a habit of turning my puter off on me at times..