Sign in to follow this  
Assi

No signal

Friend brought me his PC cause it didnt work and when i powered it up, it didnt say ANYTHING! Only thing that made me believe it even had power was that the power switch blinked once when i pressed, but nothing else happened, no PSU fan no CPU fan, nothing.

The mother board is ASUS K8V-X SE and it should be brand new. The mother board has a "power on" light and when i put the power on, it lights. So the MB isnt completely dead, but thats the only thing it does.

The MB has a 4-pin ATX12V power connector, with the normal 20-pin, so it has two power connectors. To try something i pulled the 4-pin connector out and WOW, the CPU fan woke up :blink: The hard drive also started to make sound but the monitor said No signal.

The next thing i tried was another graphics card, in case the "no signal" was because of the big time graphics card ATI9800prowhich requieres it's own power connector, and swhiched it to an old 32Mb card, but nothing.

Thats about what i tried. Can someone give me any ideas what could be wrong with it? Is the MB broken, or maybe the CPU? They should be both new, but my friend installed them by himself so ...

The PSU is also brand new Antec.

Other than make sure that the BIOS is set either for onboard graphics enabled if you use that port, or disabled if you use secondary card.

Well, the PC doesnt boot so i cant do anything in BIOS. Also, it doesnt have onboard graphics.

Thanks anyway- :adios:

Well then your next bet would be to go to the ASUS website and lookup some of the solutions there. Not knowing how experienced your friend is in installing hardware only says we can't rule out the possiblity that it was damaged or installed incorrectly. Damage or incorrectly installed hardware being ruled out, the next thing would be to check the compatability of the devices- I would think that the card mentioned should work as it is newer and more likely to match. I would be suspicious of the memory however.

The PDF on this page is the installation and user guide.

Thanks again. Im not sure about his experience either, if i remember right, this was his first time installing CPU but yes, i guess he used his old DDR.

I could also be wiser tomorrow cause i forgot to ask him what did he do with it last time cause it didnt boot at all.

I will check the memory next.

Nope, changing the memory didnt help.

I noticed today that if i have the both, 4-pin and 12-pin power pluged on the mother board, the CPU fan moves a bit, like it gets a little bit of power, but doesnt want to run anyway ... :huh:

Still if i un plug the 4-pin plug, the fan stars to run.

This is really weird since the manual says the 4-pin is for "provide sufficient power to the CPU".

Could it be the PSU thats broken?

My friend said today he tried to update the BIOS but it failed and then nothing...

Do you know what capacity the PSU is? An old, insufficient, or defective PSU will cause that problem as well.

Check the Mobo for discolored, ruptured, or blackened capacitors as well- this will indicate an overload or short has damaged the board, otherwise the PSU if sufficient capacity (at least 350watt) would be a possibility.

The PSU is Antec Smart Power 450W, and it should be brand new, so thats not the issue.

Ok, will check the discolored, ruptured, or blackened capacitors next ... im no good with those things but im sure i can see if some of them are burned or something.

Thanks again :adios:

If the BIOS failed to completely update that can be a problem. Remove the onboard battery (a small silver disc... I'm sure you know what it is and can locate it) and let it sit for a few minutes without either that or the power cord from the wall socket. That should reset the BIOS and allow you to work with a clean system. If there do not appear too be any bad or ruptured capacitors, chips, or circuits then you should be able to mount the video card, power it and then recieve a signal. If third party drivers are required you may need to create a boot disk that provides them temporarilly so that you can continue setup.

Aside from that you are taxing my knowlege of this issue as I do not personally use ATI or ASUS components. If there are peculiarities to those items someone else will have to provide a solution.

If you are certain that all hardware components should be good, double check the user guide for compatibility and then try a clean setup.

Ok, i kept the battery on my table for 5 hours, lol, but nope, it didnt help.

I noticed that if i plug only the power to CD drive, it wroks but if i plug also the IDE cable, nothing. So, the mother board seems to be the problem, cause CD drive and hard drive both works if i dont plug the IDE cable.

I think i now tried and checked all, so i'm afraid its time to give up :dead-horse:

Thanks for trying to help FrankenBox :adios:

Are you saying the CD drive works? If the IDE jumpers are on the wrong setting (slave, master, or CSM) then you wont be able to boot correctly... it's a last ditch try, but it's better than ditching the board yet.

If the BIOS is set to find a boot sector on a disk which isn't correctly set by something like that then it could be part of the problem.

Are you saying the CD drive works? If the IDE jumpers are on the wrong setting (slave, master, or CSM) then you wont be able to boot correctly... it's a last ditch try, but it's better than ditching the board yet.

Oh i dont know if i explained it correctly :unsure: ... the CD drive works only if the power cable is connected ... i mean, the CD drive gets the power straight from the PSU, so when i press the power on, the CD drive starts to work. ... but if i connect the CD drive to motherr board, it doesn work.

If the BIOS is set to find a boot sector on a disk which isn't correctly set by something like that then it could be part of the problem.

Erm ... never heard of that one before :huh:

I mean, the computer should boot without ANY device right? It just say "no devices detected" or something.

I once had a problem with hard drive and it kept on saying "no operating system found on any devices", and then i tried everything, ... but the PC still booted, even tho there was NOTHING connected, not even a floppy.

Anyway, i should have more time with it today, so i will give it one more go :mrgreen:

Ive seen that problem a few times and most of the time reseating the cpu will sort it, since this is a new build i dont know if this will work or not, best thing to try is to strip everything down to the bare minimum, unplug all optical drives and hard drives, pci devices etc, thats including power to the devices aswell, just leave the motherboard, psu, cpu, ram and graphics card connected up, also the cpu fan of course.

Like this? :

Posted Image

(i uploaded it that big on purpose, if someone could tell something looking at it)

I have only CPU, RAM and the leads from the case. ... thanks Bubba, but i tried this already.

Tell me, if my friend messed up the CPU install in the first place, could the computer still run a bit unstable for a few days and then after a BIOS update, totally refuces to give ANY signal?

Also, if there went something wrong when he installed the mother board, could it still work unstable for a few days and then do this?

@FrankenBox the jumpers in HDD and CD drive are in the same place where they were when the machine still worked.

Edited by Assi

Have you got it fixed?

I have the exactly same problem. The problem exists when I remove a hard drive from the system. The power light on the Asus motherboard is on, when I press the power button, fans turn about 1/2 cycle then stop and nothing happens. When I remove the 4 pin power cable, with only the 20 pins power cable connected, fans will turn, but system won't start. I've tried different PSUs, no luck. So, is it a problem with the 4Pin ATX power connection on the motherboard, burned?

Edited by btboy

Ok to run the system hardware the 12v plug must be plugged into the motherboard. That power is passed through the motherboard to power the slots on the motherboard (AGP, IDE,usb). If the motherboard is bad it won't pass the power through. Parts being new doesn't mean that they can't fail immeditately or after a few days. If it were me I'de RMA the motherboard for replacement. Status light on the board only means power is getting to the motherboard not that the power is getting out of the motherboard.

Have you got it fixed?

I have the exactly same problem. The problem exists when I remove a hard drive from the system. The power light on the Asus motherboard is on, when I press the power button, fans turn about 1/2 cycle then stop and nothing happens. When I remove the 4 pin power cable, with only the 20 pins power cable connected, fans will turn, but system won't start. I've tried different PSUs, no luck. So, is it a problem with the 4Pin ATX power connection on the motherboard, burned?

I have same problem too, i post it here also. I will keep you updated of what will happen. My motherboard is passing the power through but when as it's happening with you, the system starts for few seconds and then turns off.

I guess the sudden power shut off is causing such problems and maybe affecting some parts of the motherboard, but even one small piece is bad then you have to change it all and sometimes it's not worth it with old pc's.

Hopefully this will be solved or the motherboard manufacturers will be very happy this month.

My problem turned out to be the Monitor. Just disconnect it from the Graphic Card and see if your hard disk work normally.

If yes, like in my case, connect a smaller monitor and then it will work fine.

Try it before you give up.