Sign in to follow this  
thehulk18

Dead Gateway Laptop

Hey folks. My young neighbor brought his laptop over to me today to check out for him. It is stone dead, will not start. The AC Adapter is putting out the proper voltage, so it has to be internal. It is a Gateway 400SD4. I can only find external views of it, and I'd like to open it to check for anybroken or loose connections, etc. If anyone can help with a schematic or instruction manual on how to open it, I'd appreciate it. TIA

Try taking the battery out then putting the ac power in and see if it will turn on, also if it has WWW buttons or wifi buttons, sometimes they will power a laptop on if the power button wont, check the dc jack at the back with a pen to see if it wiggles about, it shouldn't move much if it at all.

I found some info on it, that shows basically how to disassemble the thing. Its for replacing the mobo, but requires removing everything else first. The DC power jack is tight. There is a reset hole on the bottom for resetting power if the on/off button doesnt work, but it had no effect. Unless there is an internal fuse, I'm almost sure something has broken or shorted, etc.... Without a schematic all I can do is visual checks and maybe some ohm and continuity readings.

Thanks much for the quick replies guys. :tup:

I'll keep at it....tomorrow...

We :geezer: s need our rest.