Sign in to follow this  
jra64

WINDOWS WON'T START!

One day I was shutting down my sister's computer and it got stuck at the 'copying user preferences' for a looong time... After waiting a good amount of time, I decided I should just turn it off manually by holding the power button down... Now every time I start up the computer it says that my computer has not been shut down correctly. I choose to start it in safe mode but every time it tries to start windows, it just restarts! Any ideas on what's going on? I really appreciate your help... Thanks...

EDIT: Please note that it never enters windows at all anymore...

Edited by jra64

ome times his can be related to a program or programs still running.

hit ctrl and alt key at same time then hit delete .programs appear you can end their task. RESTART<REBOOT USUALLY WORKS.

:wp:

Moving to user to user help.

Improper shutdowns can corrupt the Windows installation. I would suggest booting to the Recovery Console and running chkdsk on the volume.

You can take a look through Y Kawika's link for some appropriate suggestions: http://ykawika.googlepages.com/home

If all else has failed and you are up to it, you may want to try resetting the BIOS. Warning though, this could mess up the system and it won't boot at all.

Hopefully, you have on hand a backup of the BIOS.

I could go into how to do this but there are many good url pages that tell you how. Or go to the manufacture's site. Instructions as to what to do will probably be there.

Have on hand everything needed in case the BIOS gets corrupted and you need to restore it. just as a precaution.

unplug the computer. open the case. find the BIOS clear, jumper. It will be on a row of three pins. Move it to the other side. Let it sit there for a few minutes. That should clear everything that may be bad and put back how things were oringinally set up. Return the jumper to the locked position (nb some systems may have the jumper already on the unlocked side. If so, just take the jumper off, wait and put it back.

If you get into trouble there, you'll have to use the back up to restore the BIOS. Hopefully you won't. About the only thing that would mess it up is the power going off, and even then if the original is burned in, you still should be able to recover it.

If clearing the BIOS and resetting it doesn't work, uplug the computer again, find the battery and remove it for a few minutes. This should set everything back to a new situation. Clear the BIOS again.

Put all back together and give it another go.

If still nothing, you don't even boot, then I'd look for another source of the problem, such as a bad power supply. Oh, when you are inside the computer, make certain that you touch the metal of the case before you unplug it or anything else that will take away any static charge you may have on you, else a zap to the CPU or Memory from your finger will fry the component.

one other thing--before you do any of this, if you can get into safe mode--pound on F8 key as soon as the comptuer comes out of its beeping, start up, there is a choice given of selecting to make a bootlog.

Turn that on. then reboot back to the safe mode screen and choose instead of going into safe mode directly, the option to start each component, in order. Do this until the system freezes or gives the error message. Go back, using a boot disc, get the system on or use the system recovery option to find the bootlog.txt and read what happened just before things went down. This should tell you what driver failed. YOu then may be able to reintall that by extracting it from the original disc. good luck.

If not, before you do anything, get one. Find a computer, go to the manufacuter's web site, download the BIOS and the program to run it. Put these on a floppy. --have this handy, just in case...

Unplug the power (don't just turn it off). Open the case. Find the jumper that clears the BIOS. It will usually be a jumper on a three pin row. Move it to the other pins for a bit, then back. This should clear what was on there and may have become scrambled, back to the original settings.

put things together, plug it in and try to restart.

If still nothing, go in again and this time, pull the battery for a few minutes. Put it back together and restart the system.

If nothing at all happens, then I'd look somewhere else for a problems, such as a bad power supply.

But let's say, it starts to boot then hangs.

This time you will put on the backup BIOS.

Do the BIOS thing as metenioned earlier, putting the jumper on the pins that allow you to reset the BIOS.

Start the system, go into the BIOS immediately by pressing usually F1 or delete. and the system could become non-bootable.

If you are game though,

1) find out the current BIOS on the computer. It should flash on the screen for a second or so before it starts into any windows boot. when you see it, hit the "pause/break" key, to make it easier to read. If you are in windows, you can go to accessiories/system tools/system information to get it.

Improper shutdowns can corrupt the Windows installation. I would suggest booting to the Recovery Console and running chkdsk on the volume.

How do I do this? I still haven't solved this problem and it's been 3 months!

You can take a look through Y Kawika's link for some appropriate suggestions: http://ykawika.googlepages.com/home

Okay, I did all these steps:

Made an Emergency Boot Floppy from a xp professional computer (which is what the nonfunctional computer is). Does it matter if I have the right service pack or not cause I don't know if the down computer is SP1 or 2...

I copied these 3 files to the floppy as well...

xcopy c:\boot.ini a: /h

xcopy c:\ntdetect.com a: /h

xcopy c:\ntldr a: /h"

but when I type this

"xcopy a:*.* c:\ /h"

It says bad command or file name... Can anyone help? Please I've been messing with this thing on and off for a long long time now! :pullhair:

EDIT: When I try to start it up it says this error before quickly restarting... I said "Disable automatic restarting" or something like that and I wrote it down...

"STOP: c0000218 {Registry File Failure}

The registry cannot load the hive (file):

\systemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE

or its log or alternate.

It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.

Beginning dump of physical memory

Physical memory dump complete.

Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further

assistance."

I haven't tried messing with the bios or anything like mentioned above, I will look at that option as a last resort because I'm not that good with hardware...

But I am going to do 'this' right after I get done typing:

"one other thing--before you do any of this, if you can get into safe mode--pound on F8 key as soon as the comptuer comes out of its beeping, start up, there is a choice given of selecting to make a bootlog.

Turn that on. then reboot back to the safe mode screen and choose instead of going into safe mode directly, the option to start each component, in order. Do this until the system freezes or gives the error message. Go back, using a boot disc, get the system on or use the system recovery option to find the bootlog.txt and read what happened just before things went down. This should tell you what driver failed. YOu then may be able to reintall that by extracting it from the original disc. good luck."

Edited by jra64

How do I "Go back, using a boot disc, get the system on or use the system recovery option to find the bootlog.txt and read what happened just before things went down."?

Hmm I guess that guy wrote down the wrong command at http://ykawika.googlepages.com/windowswon'tboot

Okay, doing this now...

Oh and do you copy those three files by themselves or in addition to a emergency floppy disk (created by formatting a disk to be a ms-dos startup disk)

EDIT: Also...

When I load the Recovery Console from floppy disks, chkdsk complains that it can't locate autochk.exe. When it asks for that file's location, I pointed it to c:\windows\system32 like instructed from a help site. But it says the file is not there!

Also, when I copied those three files to a floppy and booted up with the floppy in the inoperable machine it says:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.

Please re-install a copy of the above file.

Can anyone help or do I have a severe problem?

Edited by jra64

When I run a MS Startup disk created from another computer. At the A:\> prompt if I try typing in “C:” or “dir C:” it says “Invalid drive specification”. Does this mean it doesn’t even know I have a C: drive?!

When I run a MS Startup disk created from another computer. At the A:\> prompt if I try typing in “C:” or “dir C:” it says “Invalid drive specification”. Does this mean it doesn’t even know I have a C: drive?!

It's probably because that disk can't see NTFS partitions. I'm guessing, but that's likely.

If you have an XP CD, you may want to try using the recovery console:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documen...e.mspx?mfr=true

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654

You're going to need a Windows XP Recovery Disk.

It's a registry problem. When you hard-rebooted the computer I'm assuming something was copied completed therefore a registry entry is corrupt.

Unless you have a backup of the registry you're pretty much SOL.

The simplest solution would be to perform a system restore from the restore app on your xp cd. Alternatively an upgrade or parallel installation of Windows XP either on top of your current install or on a separate drive/partition.

Both of these methods will preserve your data and personal files however things like applications will need to be re-installed. If you chose the latter option however you will need to manually move your personal files.

If you're not worried about losing data do a clean install and format the drive.

In short, unless you've backed up the registry previously, then you're SOL. If you haven't you're going to need to re-install Windows.

Good Luck

Generally when you turn on your computer there will be a prompt telling you to press a certain key combination usually, F2 or F10.

Press the combination as soon as you see the message.

Note that on keyboards that designate the Funtion Keys on the top to work as office shortcuts for example you may need to press a button to disable the shortcuts.

You should now be in the BIOS.

From there follow the onscreen instructions and find something related to boot order, or boot from, etc...

System Restore should work to fix your problem. So, once you're able to get into the Recovery Console type: %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe to start system restore then follow the on-screen instructions.

Also, before trying the above method even -- Have you tried choosing the last known good good configuration from the F8 Menu?

Good Luck.

Edited by all4sma

dir C:\

or

C:\

Why are you posting those dos commands?!

dir c:\ will list all of the files and folders in the root directory of the c:\ drive.

c:\ will simply navigate you to the root directory.

Also, before trying the above method even -- Have you tried choosing the last known good good configuration from the F8 Menu?

Good Luck.

Yeah, I've tried that =(. Those files seem to corrupted as well...

JoeC, thank you the site you listed (http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm) let me get into my BIOS.

Edited by jra64

Okay, I have my BIOS prioritizing it to boot from CD first if possible, but what CD do I need? Is there a special kind? Just XP Installation or do I need some sort of "Recovery CD"?