Sign in to follow this  
NikiLynn

Device disabled

I decided to burn some pictures to a disk today which allowed me to find out both of my disk drives are disabled. So I came here to run test. It's confirmed. Both are disabled.

As pcpitstop suggested, I uninstalled them and restarted. The computer found them, but they are still disabled.

I went to the device manager, click on one of the drives and went to enable them. Funny thing is, they are both listed as enabled, although they still both have the yellow caution ! and are not working. Here is the status message:

A driver (service) for this device has been disabled. An alternate driver may be providing this functionality. (Code 32)

-My 16 month old bangs on the keyboard and mouse quite often. She brings up all kinda of windows, could she have done something unwillingly?

-Is it possible that a power surge from lightening could have caused both of my drives to 'break'?

Nothing else on my computer seems to be wrong. I'm not sure how long this has been going on for because I rarely use disks for anything.

I'm running windows XP. How can I password protect my computer to save it from my kid? If I do the screen saver password set up, after checking the password box, how do I set the password? I didn't see an option for it.

I appreciate any help! Thanks!

I decided to burn some pictures to a disk today which allowed me to find out both of my disk drives are disabled. So I came here to run test. It's confirmed. Both are disabled.

As pcpitstop suggested, I uninstalled them and restarted. The computer found them, but they are still disabled.

I went to the device manager, click on one of the drives and went to enable them. Funny thing is, they are both listed as enabled, although they still both have the yellow caution ! and are not working. Here is the status message:

A driver (service) for this device has been disabled. An alternate driver may be providing this functionality. (Code 32)

-My 16 month old bangs on the keyboard and mouse quite often. She brings up all kinda of windows, could she have done something unwillingly?

-Is it possible that a power surge from lightening could have caused both of my drives to 'break'?

Nothing else on my computer seems to be wrong. I'm not sure how long this has been going on for because I rarely use disks for anything.

I'm running windows XP. How can I password protect my computer to save it from my kid? If I do the screen saver password set up, after checking the password box, how do I set the password? I didn't see an option for it.

I appreciate any help! Thanks!

:wub: If After you have installed new drivers And no help. Try Systems RESTORE Pick a restore point that you knew when they were working correctly. Your pc will function like it did.if no help redo back.

How to get to Systems restore Tipe this in run, MSCONFIG. click ok , click system restore at bottom

Question#2 Click control pannel, users account,Take instructions from there if you have created a previous

acc. and pass Delete them and start over.You must be logged in as owner or administrator.

And dont ever forget your pass word or your pc is locked.

Untilthe correct pass is put in exactly as it was ttyped. I went through this.

If This Fixes It Let me know

Code 32

Recommended resolution

The start type for this driver is set to disabled in the registry. Uninstall the driver, and then click Scan for hardware changes to reinstall or upgrade the driver.

On the General Properties tab of the device, click Troubleshoot to start the Troubleshooting Wizard. If the driver is required, and if reinstalling or upgrading does not work, change the start type in the registry using Registry Editor. For more information, see the Registry Reference in the Microsoft Windows 2000 Server Resource Kit at: