Sign in to follow this  
lindalou

Get rid of AVG and only use Adaware

I have postini provided through my IP. The last couple of weeks, a couple of emails came through to my outlook express that shouldn't have. One of them said I had a "network worm" and to download a patch to fix it. I'm not stupid. I didn't open it, deleted it and blocked messages from sender. I WAS concerned because I've never had a problem with unwanted email getting to my private email (outlook) before. So, I emailed them and asked why it was happening, how to prevent it.

Here is the emails I received back from them:

Try removing AVG if it is the Free version, we have seen that cause many problems, you have too many spyware programs on your computer, you should need just Adaware.

What do you mean have a computer shop clean up my pc? I have AVG, it's

updated, I used spyblaster, spybot, and ad-aware. Run spybot and ad-aware?

Shouldn't that be enough? since I didn't open any attachements, isn't it

ok? Or, by the email coming to my outlook express, did the worm get in?

Anyway to prevent anymore from coming to my outlook?

Thanks

Linda

----- Original Message -----

To: <

Sent: Friday, October 27, 2006 5:18 PM

Subject: Re: Web Customer Support Inquiry

Yes it is scamware do not download it have a computer shop clean up your

computer and use Adaware.

---------- Original Message ----------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 03:37:30 -0800 (PST)

User Info

-------------------

email address:

phone number:

last name

first name: Linda

emails are coming through that shouldn't be. Some telling me that I have a "network worm" and need to download a patch to fix it. I didn't. I don't open anything from anybody I don't know, but since it's getting to my outlook express, can it effect my pc? I have everything set high. Thanks.

Linda

Now, why should I removed AVG? I've always used spybot, spyblaster and adaware. Is that really overkill? I've never had any problems before with AVG or the others. And, why would I need a computer shop to clean up my pc??? He never did answer that question!

It is ok to have all that on there isn't it? I mean I know it is, guess I just want confirmation from someone saying so.

Hey, guess you did Jacee! Should I ask them if I can do a HiJack this and if they will read it for me? :laughing:

Seems a weird suggestion IMO, obviously they may have reasons I don't know for saying it and have proof of what they are saying, but to suggest someone running without an A\V is just irresponsible, I run all those and a whole lot more, and they've never caused a problem, if you want to get rid of AVG because of their comment try using Avast as a replacement, see if that helps, also try running some online scans from the usual big names to see if they come back clean as well.

As to that mail causing problems just because it got into outlook I have doubts, it might of but in my experience it's usually when you open the attachments or click non any links in it the problems start, it just sounds like your email address might of just fallen into the hands of spammers, another possibility is that it might of been a wild-card mail, either multiple recipients or simply guessing at the address, time will tell there, and they probably suggested a computer shop assuming you not to know about these things, they probably get so many clueless people with problems it's probably a blanket response they give everyone then if something goes wrong they can say we told you so.

Do you want a copy of Mailwasher ? it was the last free multi account version, otherwise you may be able to download the latest single mail version, not sure if they still do that or not, that way you can preview your mail before it ever touches your PC and delete it without having ever touched it, that way it never touches your PC and removes any risk of infection altogether, also you can add mail to friends lists or blacklist it as appropriate so any further mail's from those sources are automatically marked up so you know instantly, wont be able to send it for about a week (depending on when I get my new motherboard) as it's on my other PC, but if you want it just holla, hope this helps anyway.

Sure I'll try mailwasher. Had it before, but if wiped out somethings in outlook couple years ago. Maybe, I did something wrong. I'll try it again.

Postini had stopped everything and even email I wanted to come to me, I had to approve of first.

This one IP tech once had me look up my modem, and when I couldn't find the name under modems, in control panel, he said your just going to have to get a hold of the company that made your machine. While he was telling me this I opened devise manager and found the name. His reply? "oh, yeah, good idea." :blink:

To answer your question, it is absolutely OK to have all of that anti-adware software on your system. I use 3 or 4 different adware programs as well as an AV and a firewall. I can see turning off the AVG just to check to see if things change but I think you will find that the AV is not the problem. If you only got to the first level "tech guy" then call them back and have your problem turned over to one of there upper level tech advisers. The first person you get when dealing with technical help from an isp provider usually does'nt know very much.

NP I'll let you know when I can get to it again, TBH not surprised about that response, you think because your speaking to a tech person they should actually know what they are on about, when in actuality they probably know nothing more than the average person and are just reading from a manual, this becomes obvious when you know more than they do and your waiting for them to keep up lol.

But Mailwasher doesn't touch anything in your PC, it simply deletes it from the server nothing more, and to do that you have to tick the delete box first, or have left a tick box ticked that it thought was spam, but deleting from outlook is just not possible in my experience with it.

:sparkle:You haven't gone into over-kill with your layered protection.

Another line of defense that many use is IE-SPYAD and it's free.

IE-SPYAD puts over 5000 sites in your restricted zone so you will be protected when you visit innocent-looking sites that aren't actually innocent at all.

Tutorial

I think your ISP is blowing smoke up your backside, My ISP used to use Postini also, and every once in a while something would get thru, so I think you're ok with what you have, using mailwasher is a good idea