Sign in to follow this  
aeroman10

OpenDNS.com - Faster, Safer, Free DNS

OpenDNS makes the Internet experience safer, faster and smarter for you and everyone using your network.

You can use the OpenDNS servers instead of those assigned to you by your ISP.

The OpenDNS servers have security features that block potential phishing and other security risk websites.

They also claim to be faster at resolving queries than others -- I cant say whether its true or not -- I am trying this now.

Main Site: http://www.opendns.com

Benefits: http://www.opendns.com/what/

Source of news: http://computershopper.com/shoptalk/2006/0...eb_surfing_fast

Quick way to get started:

Change the IP Address for the DNS servers in your router or computer to:

Edit IG: Here's the link for those of us that need a little help how to input those numbers:

http://www.opendns.com/start/

Excellent; works fine and has changed my connections response time drastically.

The best tip I have read as it isn't OS specific either.

5*!

I am using OpenDNS as well now.

I am not sure about the speed, its hard to tell for me but its just easier to remember one set of DNS numbers and not have to worry about your ISP changing the settings if you dont use DHCP.

I went ahead and set it up for my home network. :)

I gave you 5 whole stars!

It does seem that some websites are slightly more responsive like MySpace, and Google, but it could be my imagination.

Remember to go into preferences on the website and enable the spell=check thing for .com so if you accidentally put in*.cm it will auto correct it. I noticed it fixed a common type I make a lot *.copm because of my fat fingers and took me to the correct website.

Thanks!

Edited by all4sma

Its safer because they block known phishing sites - if you were ever to try to go to one for some reason it would be blocked.

As far as being faster that all depends on how fast your ISP's DNS servers were. OpenDNS says that their server network connection is faster and they arent as busy as some ISP's...so your requests may reach OpenDNS servers faster than other DNS servers..

Edited by aeroman10

I always manually enter my dns numbers into both my router and my computers. I tried out the OpenDNS numbers and saw no increase in domain resolution speed, it was just about the same speed as my usual dns numbers.

However even though they didn't work any better but because they did work as well I jotted them down for future use.

Overall great tip :tup:

I think it is important to mention that you can use any dns numbers, and do not have to use the ones supplied through dhcp or even the ones an ISP assings you manually. You can use numbers from any valid dns server.

5 stars aeroman :geezer:

Wow, this is a great tip ever before, I noticed some website are faster but you must have a fast computer to read things faster on IE or Firefox.

By the way, does it make it faster on internet games? like ping will be more stablize then it moves around like from 15 to 20 to 17 to 22 ms?

I think it is important to mention that you can use any dns numbers, and do not have to use the ones supplied through dhcp or even the ones an ISP assings you manually. You can use numbers from any valid dns server.

5 stars aeroman :geezer:

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "any dns numbers"!?!? Where does one find these "valid dns servers"?

The second dns number gave me an error...(208.67.220.220). It said it wasn't valid???

The security fix is a great idea. But isn't there a problem here?

ISPs provide DNS servers to a limited customer base. An OpenDNS server is eventually going to be over whelmed by requests and become useless.

Points out some of the catches with the service, as well as pointing out theres little advantage to be had by anyone outside the US sad.

Rubbish. My computer is now flying.

Well done Aeroman. Damn good tip.

jeff.

...as well as pointing out theres little advantage to be had by anyone outside the US :(

Would like to say Great tip - but I'm in the UK and doesn't work for me. Probably dynamite for you guys and gals stateside!

Just to add to my own post and reply to berger15, I did some digging and contacted OpenDNS and they are hoping to have a London server live before the end of the year :)

I have a question for anyone who knows about these things though - Which of my network connections do I add the DNS numbers to? I am on broadband(DSL) and am permanently connected via a Dial-up Networking connection (DUN), no router. But when I go to my network connections I have two active connections listed:

AOL Broadband - WAN Miniport (PPOE) (My DUN connection)

Local Area Connection 2 - Globespan USB ADSL LAN Modem

Heres a screenshot if it helps:

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d99/WKDP...Connections.jpg

Edited by Y kawika

Just to add to my own post and reply to berger15, I did some digging and contacted OpenDNS and they are hoping to have a London server live before the end of the year :)

I have a question for anyone who knows about these things though - Which of my network connections do I add the DNS numbers to? I am on broadband(DSL) and am permanently connected via a Dial-up Networking connection (DUN), no router. But when I go to my network connections I have two active connections listed:

AOL Broadband - WAN Miniport (PPOE) (My DUN connection)

Local Area Connection 2 - Globespan USB ADSL LAN Modem

Are you able to access the setup program of your DSL modem/router?

That would be the best place to change the DNS settings if you are using DHCP.

Are you able to access the setup program of your DSL modem/router?

That would be the best place to change the DNS settings if you are using DHCP.

I'm not using a router and can only access the relevant modem settings from the modem connection in Network Connections.

I suppose I could just try each in turn and see which it works with. Though having thought about it, its got to be the 'Local area connection 2 (Globespan USB ADSL LAN Modem)' one that I change hasn't it?.

(Just wanted to get some advice first as there are no DNS numbers in the settings at present, just a tickbox for 'Obtain DNS server address automatically', and didn't wanna mess something up :crash: )