Sign in to follow this  
frenchbob

INTERNET DESKTOP SHORTCUT ICONS DON'T WORK

Hi,

I have a problem connecting to the net via my shortcut icons, none of them will connect. Other desktop icons, folders & shortcuts work but not internet shortcuts. I have had this happen in the past but a restart usually solved the problem. I usually run Firefox but use IE for the Pit tests.

Some of the times when I click on a shortcut and nothing happens I then look in task manager, I see firefox showing in the process window. Thinking about it now, this happened before and I clicked on terminate process and then firefox would open, but not this time!

I've been having a few problems with my laptop this last week, and I had to do a restore from a full system backup which appeared to do the trick, I then had a problem where the LCD monitor remained dark and had to use a torch to see the icons on the screen! That was wierd.

So, any idea's would be greatly appreciated. Below is my techexpress link from todays test.

http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=BS9SFWTN6PJSKPLC

Regards,

Bob

france

Your NIC card shows a Code 22 error:

Code 22

This device is disabled. (Code 22)

Recommended resolution

The device is disabled because a user disabled it by using Device Manager. Click Enable Device. This starts the Enable Device wizard.

Your NIC card shows a Code 22 error:

Code 22

This device is disabled. (Code 22)

Recommended resolution

The device is disabled because a user disabled it by using Device Manager. Click Enable Device. This starts the Enable Device wizard.

Hi there Hulk,

Sorry, but I'm not sure what an NIC card is or where I find it. I looked in device manager but don't see it.

Though I was up and running earlier when I uninstalled and then reinstalled firefox with latest version. The icons started working fine, but when I returned after dinner (about half hour), the screen had gone black again, with the system running apparently Ok but I have to shine a torch onto the LCD to see what's on the screen.

Thanks for your help, if you could just point me to the NIC card, and if you have a few extra moments. tell me what it is and does? Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Bob (retired in not so sunny france)

In the Device Manager it will be under Network Adapter. It will have a yellow or red mark on it if there is a problem...click on it..remove..and reboot..let windows try to install drivers for it.

Hi,

I have a problem connecting to the net via my shortcut icons, none of them will connect. Other desktop icons, folders & shortcuts work but not internet shortcuts. I have had this happen in the past but a restart usually solved the problem. I usually run Firefox but use IE for the Pit tests.

Some of the times when I click on a shortcut and nothing happens I then look in task manager, I see firefox showing in the process window. Thinking about it now, this happened before and I clicked on terminate process and then firefox would open, but not this time!

I've been having a few problems with my laptop this last week, and I had to do a restore from a full system backup which appeared to do the trick, I then had a problem where the LCD monitor remained dark and had to use a torch to see the icons on the screen! That was wierd.

So, any idea's would be greatly appreciated. Below is my techexpress link from todays test.

http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=BS9SFWTN6PJSKPLC

Regards,

Bob

france

:pullhair:

Fallow your tune up tips from your test. I had this same problem with desk top icons . Seemed to occur after i downloaded Firfax Browser. I adjusted the moose speed.it helped. Also try clicking icon and hit enter.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. Very sorry for not getting back sooner but my pooter went from bad to worse, I had no backlight on my laptop screen. In the end I did a re install back to factory settings with the restore disk.

This at first still did not solve the monitor problem, so I hooked up an external monitor which worked. My mate said it was finished as the backlight wouldn't work, then as I was reinstalling some software (such as AVG, spybot etc), upon a restart the monitor lit up and stayed on. It has now been working OK since yesterday, bizzare! Laptop acted a bit strange after the reinstall but now seems to going fine.

So once again, thanks and I appreciate your help.

Regards,

Bob

france