Sign in to follow this  
The Dude

Wii

I find myself looking forward to the Wii. The 360 has been tempting all this time though. The Wii is more suitable for my price range and I do like the arcade games a lot. I still play my N64 at least 3 times a week for an hour. :mrgreen:

Anybody here held out on the 360 for the Wii or considering the Wii? It still has games I enjoy like Call of Duty 3 while it also has classic games like Zelda which I missed on the original xbox.

Edited by The Dude

Wii is the only console that captures my interest out out of the wii, 360 and ps3.

Who cares if it hans't got a graphics card to match the others, the graphics will be stunning anyway (Look up sadness for the wii)

It is unblike anything else, and I can play my old favourites on virtual console.

360 is full of racing and FPS, bores me senseless.

PS3 is certain to be a letdown, a letdown which requires you to remortgage!

But, each to their own, Im getting a Wii on day of release for sure!

I am certinly looking forward to it, i purchased a 360 on a release and was instantly disapointed by its lack of visual performance, both in looks and frames per second, it lacked in both in lots of games i played, im looking forward to the wii because i think it will be a very good console with the motion sensor controls and i think the graphics will enough to keep me playing for hours, im going to pre order mine some time this week along with zelda :D

Edited by Bubba

I'm going to get a Wii because it's the only one that will have the console games I want.

As far as I'm concerned, the PS3 will have 2 Final Fantasy games, 1 or 2 GTA games, and about 1500 WWII shooter games, none of which I care for.

The XBox 360 is the land of racing games, sports games and mediocre shooters.

I, on the other hand, enjoy a good platformer such as the later Legend of Zelda or Super Mario games. Also, Metroid Prime was by far the best console shooter/platformer I have ever played, and I look forward to any iterations of it on the Wii. And, of course, there's always Super Smash Bros. which isn't a platformer, but is still excellent fun.

I'm just hoping there is no mass shortage after release. I plan on buying one shortly before christmas as I will be on winter break for a month and it will give me free time to use it.

Remember the mess with the xbox360 launch? Those were impossible to find for 3 months after. As for the original xbox, I walked in a week after launch and picked one up. :)

I'm going to get a Wii because it's the only one that will have the console games I want.

As far as I'm concerned, the PS3 will have 2 Final Fantasy games, 1 or 2 GTA games, and about 1500 WWII shooter games, none of which I care for.

The XBox 360 is the land of racing games, sports games and mediocre shooters.

I, on the other hand, enjoy a good platformer such as the later Legend of Zelda or Super Mario games. Also, Metroid Prime was by far the best console shooter/platformer I have ever played, and I look forward to any iterations of it on the Wii. And, of course, there's always Super Smash Bros. which isn't a platformer, but is still excellent fun.

Xbox has always been the console for shooters.

Don't know what you mean by "mediocre".

Xbox has always been the console for shooters.

Don't know what you mean by "mediocre".

I mean Halo, the epitome of ho-hum shooters.

I mean Halo, the epitome of ho-hum shooters.

Halo is a pretty good game. Maybe you didn't like it, maybe shooters aren't your genre?

...and by the time Sony is done with it, PS3 is going to have a few hundred games in every genre (maybe thousand). Doesn't mean they'll all be good, they just like to pump out games.

I would really prefer to wait until all three are out to judge, but as I've said before, I'm probably going to get the Wii just because of the price. I don't care how "amazing" the PS3 is, I can't afford that kind of "amazing". Hopefully we'll get a new Animal Crossing for the Wii.

I didn't say it wasn't good, it's decent enough, I just said "ho-hum", nothing special. I'd agree with people who thought Halo was so great and needed all that commotion if it wasn't just a generic shooter with an interesting setting. It brought nothing new to the genre nor did it do anything extraordinarily well, thus it earns the title of "ho-hum".

Edited by RandomX

the wii is nothing but gamecube hardware with a remote. not saying it wont be fun, but i just know nintendo is going to flood the wii with a bunch of baby games. sure they will have red steel and a watered down COD3, but the rest of the games will be for kids. ps3 turned out to be a huge letdown in my eyes. all of the launch games i have for my 360, except RFOM which doesnt look too good.

halo holds the record for most games sold, so much for ho-hum. also as of june 06 there have been over 500 million halo games played on xbl.

Edited by N-Forcer

halo holds the record for most games sold, so much for ho-hum. also as of june 06 there have been over 500 million halo games played on xbl.

That doesn't stop it from being ho-hum, nor does the general populace have good taste. Outside of setting, name 1 thing that Halo did that other games before it did not.

That doesn't stop it from being ho-hum, nor does the general populace have good taste. Outside of setting, name 1 thing that Halo did that other games before it did not.

not trying to be an :filtered: but maybe its you that doesnt have good taste when it come to good games. halo must have done something right to become the killer app it is today. i mean when new shooters are brought into play they are always compared to halo by top game websites and mags. no fps has come close to what halo is.

the wii is nothing but gamecube hardware with a remote. not saying it wont be fun, but i just know nintendo is going to flood the wii with a bunch of baby games. sure they will have red steel and a watered down COD3, but the rest of the games will be for kids.

Gamecube hardware with a remote!!!

In that case the xbox 360 is xbox hardware with....nothing!

Same goes for the ps3; I don't think a console manufacturer has added so many new features in one releasxe ever before!

When you say "with a remote" you neglect to mention that it is an omnidirectional, 360-degree, gyrosensitive receiver!

And as for kids games, I see one (Thats if you count Rayman); but rayman looks like an excellent drinking game and I will be purchasing a copy!

Zelda, Mario, Red Steel, Sadness, Far Cry, Splinter cell, Smash bros., Xcite truck, etc. aren't kiddy games. If people consider games to be childish if they don't have sex and violence then I heartily suggest they get a girlfriend; unless in-game pronography is seen as mature now :surrender: . Violence can be fun in doses, but to dismiss a game due to lack of is absurd!

Maybe it's swearing that makes a game; "Hey peach, fetch me some ****ing pancakes".

Furthermore the Xbox 360 (and probably ps3) has only three genres available; FPS, other shoot-em-ups, sports and racing, and real childrens games (Thats right, Viva pinata!).

PS3 does have final fantasy; which I would love to get a copy of; but at that price tag I'd rather emulate it.

Things I liked about Halo.

-The artwork, all of the character models looked pretty good, skins matched. Nothing was out of place.

-The huge levels. Halo's levels were BIG, and they looked great.

-The music. It fit the theme of whatever part of the game you were in perfectly.

-Storyline. FPS games aren't usually known for their story, Halo being an exception.

-The weapons were all pretty balanced, there wasn't really one weapon that you could dominate with for long (rocket launcher, but you have what? 6 rockets?).

-Cooperative mode. More games have this nowadays but back then I remember it being pretty rare.

-Vehicle psyhics were great. Driving around a warthog with the shocks bouncing around was just plain fun. Vehicles with turrets on them for other players to use were an added bonus.

-The AI wasn't stupid.

I could go on for awhile, but the point is yeah, some of this has been done before. But not all in one game, and not this well. Halo's marketing was certainly a huge success, and it was one of the main reasons I bought an Xbox in the first place.

its already been confirmed by nintendo that the wii really has the same hardware as the gamecube.

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/shiggy/miyamo...a-gc-205086.php

Except that the very article you posted says that the Wii will have better graphics capabilities than the GC. I think what Miyamoto means when he says it's basically the same as a GC is that it's an upgraded processor and graphics chipset, but it's based on the same technology that was in the GC, thus you can run GC games right on it.

Except that the very article you posted says that the Wii will have better graphics capabilities than the GC. I think what Miyamoto means when he says it's basically the same as a GC is that it's an upgraded processor and graphics chipset, but it's based on the same technology that was in the GC, thus you can run GC games right on it.

Same architecture.

It's like upgrading to a new processor, your old programs will still run as long as it's the same arch, they'll just run better

while there are better games out and i mean BETTER GAMES than listed, i can see how the sims came out in first as far as units sold. IMO this link doesnt support your "the general populace having bad taste" case at all. its all about what people like. people like a game and they buy it. if you dont like a game you dont buy it. in the case of halo millions of people loved it for the xbox and pc. halo took fps shooting to another level which is why people love it. if you wanted to make me a supporter of the general populace having bad taste claim you should have used the election of George W. Bush some 5 years ago.

Edited by N-Forcer

people like a game and they buy it. if you dont like a game you dont buy it.

And this is where you're wrong. People don't buy games because they like it. People buy games more because it has a brand name or whatever on it. Why else would Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone be at #4 on there? Why does WoW have 6 million subscribers? Why do movie games make any money at all? Why did the PSP sell even a single unit?

It's not because the games are great, spectacular games, it's because they have these names on them. Bungie could release :filtered: on a stick, call it Halo 3, and millions of people would buy it just because it's Halo 3. They don't care how good it actually is.

Edited by RandomX

that still doesnt explain why millions of people bought into halo 1 and 2 before anyone knew anything about the halo universe and before bungie made a name for itself. harry potter i can kinda understand, but then again i never played the game. anyone who has played WoW will tell you that they didnt buy the game because blizzard made it, they bought it because they liked the series and wanted to play online with other people.