Sign in to follow this  
donnabon

Windows XP password

I hoped to never come here again...yet here I am. :help:

Anyways, lately my college roommate has been snooping around my laptop so I created a startup/login password just two nights ago to safeguard my precious.

I tried logging in, but laptop won't recognize my password so apparently, I mis-typed my password when creating one and now I can't log in.

I tried different variations of my password and I failed miserably. :thud:

After viewing your forums and topics that are relevant to my problem, I concluded I need to either reset the BIOS, boot in safe mode, or use a recovery disk.

The problem is that I don't have a recovery disk since it's 450 miles away in California and I have little to none computer knowledge so BIOS to me means ooglydoogly didawap. :mrsgreen:

I plan to boot my laptop in safe mode later today to see if it works.

Any suggestions on how to reset my laptop password without killing my data?

Ironically, my roommate's uncle owns a computer repair shop near campus called Lanes Repair, however, I would like to fix it myself before paying a hefty amount to a repairman. :bawling:

COMPUTER INFO:

Gateway® MX6441

AMD Turion® 64 mobile technology ML-34

• Genuine Microsoft® Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005²

• 15.4" WXGA Ultrabright™ TFT

• 512MB DDR memory

• 80GB hard drive³

• Multiformat dual-layer DVD±RW drive

• 802.11g wireless LAN

• Microsoft® Windows® Vista™ Capable

*Proof that I'm computer illiterate. I found my computer's specs on Gateway's website. :clap:

Anywhos any help at all is appreciate and claps to your ongoing effort in protecting and serving our country..from viruses and whatnot.

EDIT: tried to boot in safe mode but comp still required me to input password.

Edited by donnabon

Will heed your advice slurpy...but two questions:

1. How does one go about and make a bootable floppy?

2. If I do the latter part of your reply, do I just pop the CD into my laptop? Or are there other explicit instructions on how to execute the files on the CD?

Edited by donnabon

you pop the cd in your laptop and it will boot up.. Go into system tools..then go into reset passwrods.. Note you have to set it up as a bootable cd/rom though..

I may be wrong, but couldnt you log on using the administrator account and reset the password from there?

Thats if it wasnt the admin account password you changed! :P

@ Slurpy, I popped into CD at login screen and nothing happened.

I downloaded UBCB basic .iso file (83mb) and burned it onto an empty CD-R.

Am I doing something wrong?

If it's any help I found out that my computer is a BIOS 68.04 (?)

My friend told me I can reset my password through BIOS settings using a BIOS password.

Any help on this?

By the way I only have one account on my computer so logging onto other accounts is out of the question.

You cannot reset the Windows password through the BIOS.

But go to the BIOS and check the boot order. Make sure that CD-ROM is set as the first/primary boot device.

By the way I only have one account on my computer so logging onto other accounts is out of the question.

By going into safe mode, you will see two accounts, the admin and the owner (your account) you don't see the administrator account while you're in windows, but you'll be able to access it from safemode. from that admin account, you can change the password on your account

You cannot reset the Windows password through the BIOS.

But go to the BIOS and check the boot order. Make sure that CD-ROM is set as the first/primary boot device.

I changed the value list around so that my DVD/CD ROM is the first to boot. However, that did nothing for me.

By going into safe mode, you will see two accounts, the admin and the owner (your account) you don't see the administrator account while you're in windows, but you'll be able to access it from safemode. from that admin account, you can change the password on your account

what are the login details of admin account?

Is it username: admin ?

I changed the value list around so that my DVD/CD ROM is the first to boot. However, that did nothing for me.

what are the login details of admin account?

Is it username: admin ?

The username will be Administrator and password is usually blank, in windows xp pro (not sure about media center) but while at the logon screen you can press ctrl alt delete twice to bring you to a logon prompt and log into the administrator account that way, if not just do it in safe mode and it should work fine.

UPDATE: had to burn the .iso image of UBCD onto a new disk. changed boot list and had DVD/CD ROM boot first. working fine. i did a reset on passwords for my account through system tools but for some reason after rebooting to apply changes, it doesn't work.

donnabon..try this:

Start/Run/ type in .... control userpasswords2 .... /OK

A window should open allowing you to fiddle with your passwords...

^ I can't get into windows. I'm stuck at windows login screen because I don't know my password. In addition, I can't go into windows through safe mode. Safe mode still requires password from my account. Admin account won't work either.

Anyways thanks for all your help, I'm going to visit the dreaded computer shop to get it fixed.

Oh wow looks very promising. I'll go ahead and get a floppy and see if it works.

Thanks DonJayok~

EDIT: the part of the site where one submits the line of code along with their email address doesn't work. Always says timed out connection to results.loginrecovery.com. Screw it I'm going to the computer shop first thing tommorow morning.

Thanks for your help though, Good Day all.

Edited by donnabon