Sign in to follow this  
rmcvey

Automatic restart

Have you ever had your computer do a restart and you don't know why because your blue screen will not be on long enough to see what caused the restart? Well, you can turn that feature off.

Go to System Properties, click the "Advanced " tab, and go to Startup and Recovery and click on Settings then unclick Automatically restart and the next time your computer restarts because you have a problem it will stop at the blue sceen and you can read and see what caused it to restart and fix it.

where is system properties? the one in control panel doesnt have an option when you right click :nono:

Double click on System in Control Panel, or go Start-right click My Computer and select Properties. ;)

Double click on System in Control Panel, or go Start-right click My Computer and select Properties. ;)

Does this also disable restart after a power outage?

Does this also disable restart after a power outage?

no! to do that you have to go into your BIOS (as your computer boots up, it shouls say press __ to change settings or something like that, its oftin the del key or maybe a F key ) and changeit there, thats part of the motherboard, not windows XP

That tip seemed to be just what I've been looking for, for a couple of years now; I cannot turn my desktop 'puter OFF. When I do, it restarts so when the text starts again, I hold in the power button until it stops. Then it is OFF. So, I removed the checkmark as you suggested. I then tried to turn it OFF but I was left sitting at the Blue Screen. Now what? I finally hit the power button and held it in until the machine is truly off. Any suggestions, please?

That tip seemed to be just what I've been looking for, for a couple of years now; I cannot turn my desktop 'puter OFF. When I do, it restarts so when the text starts again, I hold in the power button until it stops. Then it is OFF. So, I removed the checkmark as you suggested. I then tried to turn it OFF but I was left sitting at the Blue Screen. Now what? I finally hit the power button and held it in until the machine is truly off. Any suggestions, please?

I have the same problem with my computer. Have not found a proper solution yet but I do know what is causing it on my pc: my Logitech Dinovo keyboard! When I use my old ps2 keyboard the computer shuts down without any problem but the Dinovo causes my pc to restart all the time unless (just like you have to do) I hold down the power off button. :(

Disabling restart did not fix my problem, I also do not get any blue screen.

Edited by marijtje

[/u]

I have the same problem with my computer. Have not found a proper solution yet but I do know what is causing it on my pc: my Logitech Dinovo keyboard! When I use my old ps2 keyboard the computer shuts down without any problem but the Dinovo causes my pc to restart all the time unless (just like you have to do) I hold down the power off button. :(

Disabling restart did not fix my problem, I also do not get any blue screen.

Found a fix for my restart problem. It was such a simple fix, can't believe I couldn"t think this up myself.

All I did is this: I disconnected the USB keyboard and mouse (and any other usb device), shut down the PC with the power button - The system shut down completely correct.

I reconnected the USB keyboard and mouse and now it's working perfect, no more restarts at shutdown! :clap:

I should mention that I have an Asus PW5 DH motherboard and I cannot use USB ports number 3 and 4 for the keyboard and mouse (ports are dedicated to remote wake-up etc.)