Sign in to follow this  
Inprofile

One For mp3 User's

Hello all. I hope someone else here has had this problem and has a solution.

My good lady bought an mp3 player.

This is a replacement for the first one which connected occasionally.

I've tried a couple of fixes that i found online to no avail, seems it's a WMP10 problem.

I've uninstalled/reinstalled WMP10, tried WMP11, still not detected by either, yet Windows detects it as it shows up in Device Manager.

It seems that a lot of folk have this problem. Folk with a few pc's find that it works on one or two of them but not all of them.

So if any of you have had the same problem............................How did you fix it?

Whatever happened to shellac, needles the size of darts points and wind up gramaphones? :lol:

BTW. Drivers are not required.

Is the Windows media player open when you plug in the MP3 player? Try it both ways. I have had better luck to have media player NOT open. Plug in the player and a window should open that asks what you want to do. Then let it sync and then transfer files..

Some MP3 players let you change usb settings, but I don't know if the Samsung does. If you can change the settings it shows up then as a new drive and then just send files to the new drive/MP3.

Have you tried another media player? I think Real Player allow you to sync devices.

Is the Windows media player open when you plug in the MP3 player? Try it both ways. I have had better luck to have media player NOT open. Plug in the player and a window should open that asks what you want to do. Then let it sync and then transfer files..

Have you tried another media player? I think Real Player allow you to sync devices.

Open/closed, makes no difference. :)

It does ask me what to do.....................but it can't sync because WMP can't detect it.

I'll give RP a go, but i doubt that it as something as simple as that.

If may or may not help, but have you updated the firmware for the player? There is a firmware update available on that page you linked to (ver. 2.37), with a modified date of Aug 12, 2006. Doesn't say what fixes there are, but it is a 9.4 mb file.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you guys.

The wife is away for a few days and of course she took the bloomin' thing with her, so i'll try RP and update the firmware when she gets back.

I'll post back here if it works. The info may be of some use to someone else with the same problem.

Looks like the player is knackered now, all it has been doing for the past few days is, "Connecting......".

As i'm unable to update the firmware, it'll have to be replaced again.

If WMP still doesn't detect it after installing the update, i'll dual boot XP/2KPro and see if it runs under 2K.

New technology! Don't you just love it. :mrgreen:

I would suggest this player.

I have had one for a couple months and it works great. It also has a microSD slot to expand storage.

It's available in 2gb,4gb, 6gb, and8gb

Edited by jakaach

same kinf of probs here with my Creative Zen Touch 40 GB, but upgraded to wmp 11 beta, and detected straight away, can now even use autoupdate oin the creative page, which i couldnt before

but upgraded to wmp 11 beta, and detected straight away

I'm glad it worked for you mcgr75. :)

Doesn't work for me though.

I made out a list for the good lady to choose from jakaach and the Sandisk was MY first choice, unfortunately, not many stockists in my area.

Tell me one thing. Do you require WMP 9/10/11 to use it?

I'm glad it worked for you mcgr75. :)

Doesn't work for me though.

I made out a list for the good lady to choose from jakaach and the Sandisk was MY first choice, unfortunately, not many stockists in my area.

Tell me one thing. Do you require WMP 9/10/11 to use it?

no, i usually use winamp pro, can play direct from the zen straight into it, which i couldnt do before

Problem solved.

The new player, (same model), was not connecting either, so reformatted, reinstalled XP.

The first thing i did was to connect the player and it connected no problem until i installed the onboard sound drivers, (VIA AC'97).

Tried VIA's Vinyl AC'97 Codec Combo Driver (WDM) and now everything is A ok.

Any one else have a similar problem, try disabling your sound driver in Device Manager, if it works, check your mobo/chipset manufacturer for another driver version.

Thanks all for your help. :)