Sign in to follow this  
d0nut

Running TSP (Scrabble) on XP

I have attempted to run my old version of TSP (US Gold) on my PC, but the board does not show up. All I get is the green background. It runs OK with Win. 98. In an attempt to overcome the problem, I purchased Scrabble 2005 but it turned out to be a load of rubbish. All bells and whistles, and very little Scrabble.

Is there any adjustment that I can carry out on my PC to make my old programme run?

Thanks in advance.

d0nut

PS Does anyone know if there is a decent updated edition of Scrabble available? I can't locate one.

US Gold Scrabble TSP is 15 years old and originally for Windows 3.1. There has has never been a better implementation of Scrabble since. I bought it in 1995, after having had the previous US Gold DOS version. Like you I could not run it from 2003 onwards when I got XP.

However I have found 2 workarounds - (1) in 2005 just after my XP upgrade and (2) last week in May 2009. Astonishingly this latter workaround works also on Intel Mac using OSX Leopard.

(1) Dual boot into Windows 95 and run a TSP partition. I did not know how to do this using Windows itself. So i bought BootNG in 2005. (I still use it for multi booting). However Windows 95 stopped booting when I increased memory from 500MB to 1.5GB recently. There seems no workaround. Actually it was hard to make Win 95 boot on even a 500MB machine, but there is an officially issued MS fix for Win 95 on large ie less than 500MB machine. But in view of the 500MB limit of the large machine fix, TSP Scrabble is now dead in 1.5GB, as Win 95 won't boot. You might still make it work with Window 98 using BootIt. But I have not tried it. Incidentally these forums are full of people who offer untried advice - like try compatibility.

(2) Use Virtual machine software. I have now got TSP Scrabble working perfectly in both XP and OSX. Thank goodness I hung on to the TSP software, and the old Windows95 CD through all these years!

Using Virtual Box in Windows XP and Mac OSX.

Virtual Box is free and I have it running under OSX and XP. I believe it runs in Vista too, but have not tried it. I installed Win95 in Virtual Box. Then I setup TSP in the virtual machine. It works entirely satifactorily in both the Mac and XP environments. I assume it would also work with Win98 in Virtual Box, but have not tried it myself. Asonishingly, if you export the virtual machine on Mac, you can import it into XP using Virtual Box. And vice versa. Expect a bit of difficulty working out how to get your stuff setup. You may no longer have a diskette for instance, so you need bootable CD or diskettes to start the 95 (or 98 I assume) install process. These bootable disks require the original MS CD drivers.

Using Parallels on Mac

I successfully got TSP working in Win95 on a virtual machine in the Parallels environment. It was easier even than Virtual Box, but obviously this is a Mac only solution. Also Virtual Box being free and multi platform, this is probably the best and cheapest option - especially if you only want a virtual machine for TSP Scbble.

I have attempted to run my old version of TSP (US Gold) on my PC, but the board does not show up. All I get is the green background. It runs OK with Win. 98. In an attempt to overcome the problem, I purchased Scrabble 2005 but it turned out to be a load of rubbish. All bells and whistles, and very little Scrabble.

Is there any adjustment that I can carry out on my PC to make my old programme run?

Thanks in advance.

d0nut

PS Does anyone know if there is a decent updated edition of Scrabble available? I can't locate one.

Hi,

I am so pleased to have found this thread! TSP was the greatest thing to happen to my life in the 1990s - i spent all my university years playing it obsessively. I did have a copy of the original EXE but after i failed to install it on any modern version of Windows i gave up and i have no idea where it is now.

However, the copmment about VirtualBox sounds promising - i have virtualbox, all i need now is the TSP installation files! Can anyone help? I would be eternally grateful if anyone can email them to me.

Many, many thanks