Sign in to follow this  
DK64_MASTER

Hate Adobe Acrobat Reader?

I hate Acrobat Reader with a passion. You need to use a download center to get a 50MB file that displays PDFs, that often crashes, and loads really slowly.

Try out Foxit PDF Reader:

http://www.download.com/Foxit-PDF-Reader/3...4-10313206.html

Your PDFs will load MUCH faster, it uses less memory, and the install is only 1.19MB. I couldn't believe it when I first tried it out. So far, I have found no bugs and I read about 3-5 PDFs a day, and I've been using it for 6 months.

So, if you really like this software, uninstall adobe reader 7.0, and get rid of the bloatware on your PC. Try it out, and you'll never go back!

Edited by DK64_MASTER

Actually it doesn't even install, all you do is double click on the exe and FoxIT registers itself as your default pdf reader.

About the only problem (if it can be caled that) is getting it to work seemlessly with Firefox (it integrates seemlessly into IE). But there is a very easy work-around for FF, just install the following extension,

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/636/

which has serveral option for handling online pdf's.

Actually it doesn't even install, all you do is double click on the exe and FoxIT registers itself as your default pdf reader.

Heh, it really is like a standalone executable. I guess by install, I meant unzip/unrar. :mrgreen:

Thanks for that DK64_MASTER. I will give it a try sometime!

Although I like Adobe Acrobat reader 7, and been using for a very long time, only noticed once it took a while to download, only because the download was comming from Taiwan.

:tup:

I 've been using it for some time now but I did see on their forum about printing problems. I know I have a printing problem on ceratin pages but overall I think it is a good pdf reader.

Thanks for that DK64_MASTER. I will give it a try sometime!

Although I like Adobe Acrobat reader 7, and been using for a very long time, only noticed once it took a while to download, only because the download was comming from Taiwan.

:tup:

Oh yeah, you only need to download the software once, so it's not really anything to complain about. But the sheer size of the download, and the fact that you need use Adobe's bundled downloader to get new updates is quite unattractive. Oh yeah, speaking of updates, there is no obtrusive "update center" that plagues Adobe 7.

Why Adobe is so bloated is beyond me, especially when you are just downloading a Reader (Adobe Reader), and not the full Acrobat suite.

@mrdithers: Actually, printing is one thing I've really never done too much of. At University, we are given all of our HW assignments via PDF, but ironically, I find myself doing the HW on a separate piece of colleged ruled paper.

Great tip. :tup: Since someone posted this in GD a few months back, I've been telling everyone to switch.

with regards

That someone happened to be me, before we had a tips/tricks forum :)

http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?show...09&hl=foxit

Well, a few others may have mentioned it before me, but not created a topic about it.

Can anyone elaborate on the possible printing problems? I occasionally receive PDFs that I need to print - pay stub, rebate forms - even the IRS tax forms are PDF. I would have to reinstall Adobe if I found that I couldn't print these.

I don't print pdf's very often but the ones that I have had to print printed no problem (using FoxIT, Acrobat was banned from my computer a year ago).

Can anyone elaborate on the possible printing problems? I occasionally receive PDFs that I need to print - pay stub, rebate forms - even the IRS tax forms are PDF. I would have to reinstall Adobe if I found that I couldn't print these.

Well, you can have both installed at the same time (it's what I did when I was trying it out). If you can't open/print something with Foxit (which will be made as your default pdf viewer if you wanted it to be), manually open it with Adobe Reader.

Well, you can have both installed at the same time (it's what I did when I was trying it out). If you can't open/print something with Foxit (which will be made as your default pdf viewer if you wanted it to be), manually open it with Adobe Reader.

Thanks for that tip! :beer:

Have a look around this forum:

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/bbs/index.php

Edited by mrdithers

I first tried Foxit a few months back but uninstalled it because I couldn't see a way to get it to work with FireFox. Thanks to this thread, I've accomplished that. The workaround provided by stormy is useful, but isn't necessary. Here's how I set it up.

From FireFox:

Tools > Options > Downloads > "View and Edit Actions" button > Scroll to PDF (left column) > 'Change Action' button > check 'Open them with this application' click the Browse button and find the Foxit exe file.

EDITED TO ADD THE FOLLOWING:

I've discovered that if you uninstall Adobe first, FF will automatically pick up Foxit. The above instructions were from when I installed Foxit on my desktop wich still had Adobe, so I had to change it manually.

Edited by Phylis Sophical

Great piece of kit! I don't know why, but I have never really liked Acrobat. Just hated having to use it. This programme is great. Many thanks.

:P

A zillion thank you's! Me wuv u log time! Blew away the Acrobate reader memory hog!!

I hate Acrobat Reader with a passion. You need to use a download center to get a 50MB file that displays PDFs, that often crashes, and loads really slowly.

Try out Foxit PDF Reader:

http://www.download.com/Foxit-PDF-Reader/3...4-10313206.html

Your PDFs will load MUCH faster, it uses less memory, and the install is only 1.19MB. I couldn't believe it when I first tried it out. So far, I have found no bugs and I read about 3-5 PDFs a day, and I've been using it for 6 months.

So, if you really like this software, uninstall adobe reader 7.0, and get rid of the bloatware on your PC. Try it out, and you'll never go back!

You love the Yahoo Toolbar :yucky: that tries to get installed along with it too?

It doesn't install anything :)

Adobe,Adobe,Adobe,Adobe,Adobe,Adobe,Adobe,Adobe,Adobe,Adobe,Adobe,Adobe,Adobe,Adobe,Adobe,Adobe,Adobe,Adobe,Adobe,Adobe,Adobe,Adobe,Adobe,Adobe,Adobe,Adobe,Adobe,Adobe,Adobe,Adobe,Adobe,Adobe,Adobe,Adobe,Adobe,Adobe,Adobe,Adobe,Adobe,Adobe,Adobe,Adobe,Adobe,Adobe,Adobe,Adobe,Adobe,Adobe,Adobe,Adobe,Adobe,Adobe,Adobe,Adobe,Adobe,Adobe,Adobe,Adobe,Adobe,Adobe,Adobe,Adobe, :P:laughing:

Um... I have a rather off-topic question

How can I print out a CERTAIN page, for example; I have a 200 page file but I only want to print out only page 80 - 100... how would I do that?

You would print it out the same way you would a Word document. Click 'Print' and options should be there for all pages or pages 1 - 80. the only thing to be careful of with a PDF document is the page numbering you see in the document may well be different than the pages printing out.

Should I do this? Didn't realize Adobe Reader took up that much space!!

Give it a try. I mean, all you need to do is download a <5 mb file. If you don't like it, delete it! :).