Sign in to follow this  
Guest L.O.Ki.

Questionable Validity of 'Optimize'

Guest L.O.Ki.

So, I ran the free scan thing & when it was done it told me that is 4,292,974,591 KB of junk files on my PC. Here's where the questionable validity comes in:

If one takes 4,292,971,591 KB & divides by 1,024 to get how many MB that is you come up with:

4,192,357.9990234375. Almost 4,192,358MB, which when divided by 1,024 to get how many GB that entails, comes out to be:

4,094.09960842132568359375. Roughly 4,094GB. Otherwise known as 3.998144148848950862884521484375 TB*. Just under 4TB*.

So the math is all accurate, however, I only have a 300GB HARD DRIVE!!! 279 once formatted! Now, unless somebody screwed up when writing this program** & 'KB' in the Optimize report should really say 'bytes' thereby making the total just under 4GB of junk, unless this is the case, then y, oh Y?, should I waste $30 on this program?

Yeah, I'm kinda b****ing in this post, but I just woke up, checked my e-mail, saw this, & more importantly haven't had caffiene yet! So I hope that anyone that reads doesn't take offense. The latent hostility that I'm sure is easy to pick out in this post isn't meant for the readers. Unless of course, the reader is in fact a PROGRAMMER of this software.

* For those of you who don't know, stands for 'Terabyte' or 1,024GB.

** Granted I understand that simple mistakes are entirely possible when programming, but that's not a simple mistake!! It just doesn't add up given my HDD size. I mean, come one, chug some pepsi & fix it!

There is one way to tell how many junk files are on your system is to run the Pit Test & post a TechExpress link to your results.

The two links down this page are self explanatory.

Regards,

Hawk :beer:

Guest L.O.Ki.

Okay, thx Hawk for that. And not to sound rude or anything, in fact its my fault, I should've clarified my question better. I don't care how many junk files are on my computer. I know they're there & that's enuff. I'm just searching for a way to remove them, uh, for free. Furthermore, I was also asking y I should waste $30 bucks on a program that may be worthless, or could just have a programming error. Since PC Optimize doesn't provide a way to directly contact any form of tech support, unless u buy it I'm sure, I just posted my thoughts here. So to recap, my question, in detail, was 'y should I buy a $30 program that supports 2 possibilities, in my opinion, of being worthless? I mean, I just want the 'junk' off my computer for either free or like $10 bucks. I'm not gonna pay $30 to have stuff removed off my PC that I could probably remove myself, if I had about 4 or 5 hours of free time to hunt it down. Convenience is the only reason I would buy something like this. But $30 is just too much, I'm a college student, thus I am poor! But thx again, to Hawk, for attempting to answer my initial unclarified question [my bad]. :)

Hi again L.O.Ki.,

Yup, I understand what you are saying. However, I am not involved with any of the programs offered for sale at the Pit but rather, I devote some of my time in an attempt to help Members with computer problems that I may know the answer to.

I will try to divert this thread to an Administrator who should be able to offer you a more logical answer. :mrgreen:

Regards,

Hawk :beer:

1) If junk file misidentification issue is a programming error I would expect to see hundreds if not thousands of similar issues, based on the number of scans that are run. The fact is, I know of two, counting yours. If you would post a Tech Express link we might be able to spot something in the computer configuration that is a contributing factor.

2) I don't understand how you arrive at the conclusion that you would be 'wasting $30' unless you completely missed the 30 day money-back guarantee.

3) Since you state that your goal is to get the files removed for free, User to User help would have accomplished that already. (But you'll still accomplish your goal from here.) In Hawk's signature, below the link explaining how to post Pit test results, is a link to CCleaner, which is exactly what you want, and won't take 4 or 5 hours. Another similar free program is CleanUp! http://www.stevengould.org/software/cleanup/

Both programs come with complete instructions how to avoid deleting things you'd rather not.

To any potential customers that are reading this thread, Optimize does much more than remove the junk files. If that is all you want, the free cleaners above are great. If you are looking for overall improved perfomance from your computer, here's a complete list of what Optimize will do: http://www.pcpitstop.com/faq/optimize.asp

Guest Dartman

I agree with LOKI. Is it worth the $30? And with all the other programs that do the same thing, how do I know which program is the best? I researched the top error and optimize programs offered, and all do the same. Yet, all claim to be the best. Which is the best, and which will keep my system clean and better running?

There is no risk involved. We put our money where our mouth is.

Our software comes with a 30-day 100% satisfaction money-back guarantee. If you are not satisfied, just let us know and your money will be promptly refunded.

Guest Mphill

I have read all the above - had some of the same concers but 30 bucks is not that big of a deal to me. I am no longer a college student :). However - I do own more than 1 computer. I have 4. Will I have to spend 30 for each computer or will I be able to use the program on my other computrs? 120 bucks is a bigger deal ...

MP