Sign in to follow this  
aeroman10

About your Mac

If you have a MAC or are thinking about getting one and have a certain configuration in mind feel free to share it ... let everyone know how its working..

Here is my config:

MacBook

Processor: 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo

Memory: 1GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM- 2x512

Hard Drive: 80GB Serial ATA drive

Optical Drive: Combo Drive

The price was $1184 (with education discount)

Plus a free 1 GB Ipod Nano (after rebate)

So far its working great ... boot load time is fast.

You can have alot of apps running at the same time and there is no lag at all.

I will have to use it more to post more details about he performance later.

True...13 inch vs 15.4 inch display.

With Pro you also get the ATI video card instead of Intel Graphics, Superdrive comes with all Pro's and they also have an express card slot.

But Apple sure does charge alot for those differences..

On the regular Macbook they charge nearly $400 extra just for the black case (I customized white & black with the same settings) -- I guess its in demand but I would never pay that much xtra just for the color of the case :)

Edited by aeroman10

If I'm going to get a laptop, I think I am going to get something portable. I'd get the 13". Maybe I could talk my parents into it as a wise "family investment". :shifty:

Found 1 issue on the Macbook.

The sound output levels are very weak (doesnt matter if you use the built in speakers or external ones).

I think that Apple is limiting the sound volume through the driver or firmware for the sound chip on the motherboard. Other people reported the same issue. So far no patches from Apple.. :nono:

I have a Dual 2.3 Ghz Power G5 on OSx V10.4.8 & use both Safari & Mozilla Fire Fox. I wanted to try Pitstop free Download & optimize test but appears only really works for Windows PC's. Any suggegstions out there greatly appreciated. TIA & Ciao >w.

I didn't even know I posted in this topic!

I bought the macbook pro with the c2@2.66 1gb/120 with an x1600 of course. It's nice, I have xp installed just for fun (never use it).

I just bought a MacBook Pro (2.16GHz, 120GB option) with my education discount, and I can't believe how long I've missed out on Macs! It is so cool, haha.

I'm going to buy the new 17" MacBook Pro.

Specs:

2.4 Ghz processor (t7700)

2 Gigs RAM

160 7200 RPM HD

8600m GT Graphics Card

What do you guys think?

Intel Mac Mini, 1.66 GHz, 1 GB RAM, 60 GB internal drive and multiple external firewire drives (approx. 1.5 TB). An upgrade to 2 GB of RAM is coming . . . eventually.

Two old G4 Towers—one a Digital Audio and one a Sawtooth. The Digital Audio has a little over 1 GB of RAM, the Sawtooth has a little under 1 GB of RAM. Both work just fine, but the Sawtooth is awaiting more upgrading (more hard drive, I hope).

I've also got an upgraded 8600 (G4 upgrade card) but I don't really talk about that one too much. As far as I know it works fine, but I probably haven't booted it up in a year or two.

Intel MacBook 2.0 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 80 GB hard drive. Tiger.

Long-time Mac user with many PowerPC Macs in the house. This is the first MacIntel, but I'm sure it won't be the last. Loving it.

Im new to mac and im loving it i dont know if this thing is a G5 or what here are my specs

MacBook Pro

Mac OS X Version 10.5.1

Geforce 8600M GT

2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

2 GB 667 Mhz DDR2 Ram

160GB Sata HD

15.4 Wide Screen w/ built-in webcam

DVD Burner

Firewire & Fiber Channel

Bluetooth

Airport Extreme Wireless Card

Intel High Definition Audio

This thing runs so fast boot time is about 20 seconds if that, will time it next time i power it on.

Edited by youngone

About time more people bought a mac!

I have several sitting around at my house.

G4 Quicksilver Dual 950Mhz Processors OSX 10.4

G4 PowerBook Titanium 800Mhz Processor OSX 10.3

G4 PowerBook 1.2Ghz Processor OSX 10.4

G4 iBook 1.5Ghz Processor OSX 10.5

MacBook Pro 2.6Ghz OSX 10.5

All of them have had their OS upgraded one version except the MacBook Pro and the Quicksilver. It is important to note that only 2 of those computers were actually mine, and the other three were family computers..lol

:sparkle:

Hi

My son just bought a MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.66GHz, 4GB Ram, 320GB for work in the Music Industry. As a Dj he uses his computer for all his gigs and the 2yr old Toshiba PC just isn't coping with work load it has been put under. Seems the Mac cruises thru a gig without even blinking while the PC is getting very hot under the collar and stuggles to keep up . . .

As the "PC techie" in the family, I am doing some research for what programs I may need to download for what I am used to regularly running with the PC's in the house....

Seems I won't be needing anything like CleanUp, Malawarebytes, Spywareblaster, Ccleaner etc.

It looks like Mac have taken care of all those extra bits & bobs. :sparkle:

Should be a bit of fun to get my head around . . . Looking forward to it.

Regards :sparkle:

I've just ordered a Mac, which will arrive in the next few days... From what I understand, I won't be needing the levels of protective software my PC currently had loaded.

Not sure about a firewall, though; will the Mac be adequately protected, or do I need to find and install one? I also gather a defrag program is not necessary.... or is it?

New to the world of Macs and realising that I'm starting all over again with computers! Grateful for any info regarding defrag and firewalls.

Thanks.

Edited by SuicideToast

Good amount of info here: http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

"OS X doesn't handle "drive" fragmentation (small bits of free space between files) well at all. In fact, OS X is prone to huge amounts of drive fragmentation."

Don't just defrag, Repair Disk Permissions too.

Firewall info here:http://davidtse916.wordpress.com/2008/01/0...-x-105-leopard/

It's all really easy. Hope you enjoy OS X! :)

Thanks for the firewall info, dimwit. It seems the inbuilt firewall is strong enough to protect. I presume there is

also a defrag program, which will be adequate?

The built in firewall works fine.

I also use an app called Little Snitch that tells me what's going on. This may not matter to you, I just like it for curiosity's sake.

Re defragmenting - don't worry about it.

Run your maintenance scripts occasionally if you like to keep things tidy, repair permissions if you ever have to do a hard restart but I wouldn't ever worry about fragmentation.

Five Mac Maintenance Myths

Edited by all4sma

Sent it back three days after it arrived: the most over-rated, underwhelming piece of tat I've ever wasted my time on.

There's a reason the majority use PCs - they are better. This is just Betamax in a party frock.

Sent it back three days after it arrived: the most over-rated, underwhelming piece of tat I've ever wasted my time on.

There's a reason the majority use PCs - they are better. This is just Betamax in a party frock.

Sux to learn the hard way. :adios: