Sign in to follow this  
brandon

AMD has forsaken me!

I wanted to get Cool & quiet for my X2 3800, but it said I had to get Windows XP to use it. All XP is is a bloated, slower, uglier version of Windows 2000 with some extra stupidity tacked on, instead of functionality.

The driver for Linux works just fine, but I do things in Windoze that don't require much processing power that I don't really do in Linux.

Oh well, XP Home won't cost much, and it supports two processors.

Oh well, XP Home won't cost much, and it supports two processors.

actually it doesnt ........ it does support dual core CPU's but not two processors

just thought you might want to Know :lol: .............. LINK

actually it doesnt ........ it does support dual core CPU's but not two processors

just thought you might want to Know :lol: .............. LINK

I knew that. Perhaps I should have rephrased it to "It supports dual core". They actually did something smart with their processor licensing policy.

Edited by brandon

Are you sure there isnt a win2k amd cool and quiet drive, i coul dhave sworn i seen one somewhere before but no idea where.

bahh, change a few settings in xp and it is every bit as good (or in my opinion better) then w2k could ever be.

....and a helluva lot purdier too! :mrgreen:

:beer:

Bubba: There is, but not for the X2. Oh well, I undervolted my X2 to about 1.2V, so that'll have to do for now.

JackEL: XP will never be better than 2000, because it is 2000. I could care less about IE7, WMP11, or any of the software that's only available for XP, because I know of better alternatives, so I have no reason to use XP, other than for 64bit software & Cool & Quiet.

I hate eye-candy on an OS with a passion. It's only a wow-factor that loses its effect rather quickly, and serves no purpose other than to use up resources.

Edited by brandon

I got another 2GB on the way, so I'll have 3GB. That doesn't mean I'll like XP anymore than I already don't though.

I guess I just prefer functionality out of the box.

Brandon,

XP seems quite slim compared to Vista, now there is one bloated OS. I am testing Vista at the moment and should receive RC1 shortly, so there maybe some improvements on the way, but..

With 2Gb of RAM a X2 4800 and 4 baby raptors in RAID 0 I thought it would be more like a racing snake than a lazy hippo. How wrong....

An example of this is that it doesn't matter how much system RAM you have spare it insists on using a huge chunk of pagefile instead, sometimes utilizing more pagefile than ram. Lower or disable the pagefile and it throws it's teddy out, before recreating it for you at 2-3Gb.

Another OS I think I'll be using in Windows Classic mode.

Jack.

bahh, change a few settings in xp and it is every bit as good (or in my opinion better) then w2k could ever be.

....and a helluva lot purdier too! :mrgreen:

WinXP Purdey?!?!? NO WAY!

Who on earth though that green blue and orange was a good colour scheme

Im with you Brandon, if it must be Windows make it 2k.

Edited by tito

Well, to each his own, I like win XP and I will not give it up any time soon, and it has lots of blue, and since blue is my favorite color... well, you get the picture :P

brandon, ive used win 2000 pro since back in the day of my dual p3 750s and i can tell you that if you set xp up right you cant tell the difference, i know it takes time to do but win 2000 is the past move on. ALLEN

brandon, ive used win 2000 pro since back in the day of my dual p3 750s and i can tell you that if you set xp up right you cant tell the difference, i know it takes time to do but win 2000 is the past move on. ALLEN

XP was introduced only one year after 2000. It's not as far in the past as you'd like to think. ;) I'm gonna just grab my nuts and upgrade, but I won't touch Vista.

maybe you just gotta give it a chance,

I switched to XP from 2000 that i have been using for years, XP wasn't as bad as i thought, a few tweak could make it pretty good

give it a chance

EDIT: i still like the classic feel tho

Edited by AMDX1325

then what would you like? vista that is more resource hog than xp?? i dont defend xp unless you have the kind of man who has a megabit or more of internet coneection that you can download 2k service packs & updates immediately after a reformat(2k has 4 something service packs).. In fact XP is more secure than 2k but you need to tweak some settings to make sure it run smoothly. If you touched it a little bit, then all of us will be happy (hehe lol joke):laughing:

Edited by ineedhelpregularly21

WinXP Purdey?!?!? NO WAY!

Who on earth though that green blue and orange was a good colour scheme

err, ok....i guess a dull pale blue and grey are better? :blink:

anyways, when i install xp...one of the first things i do is patch the uxtheme.dll with the uxtheme multi-patcher:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enh...tiPatcher.shtml

then grab a nice theme and pretty wallpaper and i have a very eye pleasing desktop. not nearly as nice as my linux desktop....but a lot nicer then the default. :)

i do not care for the standard xp look myself. :yucky:

....not sure but i don't think you can do any of that with w2k. :mrsgreen: ....but hey, if dull and blah are what you like then w2k is great. :shrug:

maybe you just gotta give it a chance,

I switched to XP from 2000 that i have been using for years, XP wasn't as bad as i thought, a few tweak could make it pretty good

give it a chance

EDIT: i still like the classic feel tho

then what would you like? vista that is more resource hog than xp?? i dont defend xp unless you have the kind of man who has a megabit or more of internet coneection that you can download 2k service packs & updates immediately after a reformat(2k has 4 something service packs).. In fact XP is more secure than 2k but you need to tweak some settings to make sure it run smoothly. If you touched it a little bit, then all of us will be happy (hehe lol joke):laughing:

AMDX1325: I've used XP Server 2003, XP64, and at one point I actually liked them. But then I got Windows 2000 installed, and haven't looked back until now. I've tweaked them (XP, 2k3, XP64) to oblivion, but it just doesn't have the same speedy feel & small size that Win2k has.

Ineedhelp: If you would have read back a page or two, I said that I will *NEVER* use Vista. If it becomes unfeasible to use WinXP or 2k, I will just dual boot ReactOS & Suse instead of 2k & Suse. Also, I have 6 megabit internet. XP is no more secure than 2k is. XP has a shoddy firewall, and that's about the only thing it has over it.

Needless to say, I'm now Tri-booting. I'm booting Win2k, XP64, and Suse 10. If I want to get real work done, I boot into Win2k or Suse. If I want to mess around with themes, use Cool & Quiet, or just waste my time configuring Windows, I use XP.

JackEL: If the Windows 95 GUI had never come into existance, you think XP could bloat it into oblivion? Win2k's theme works for me, and I have no trouble using the Start Menu like I did with XP. I cannot stand XP's default Start Menu because its extremely unintuitive for me to use.

Edited by brandon

.... and I have no trouble using the Start Menu like I did with XP. I cannot stand XP's default Start Menu because its extremely unintuitive for me to use.

'ya know. when i first used xp i couldn't stand the start menu either and kept changing it to the classic look. but after using that new fangled one for awhile....i got to like it! .....alot! :mrgreen:

ahhh, but then linux came along..... :wub: