Sign in to follow this  
bacterozoid

Could not clear the DNS cache

I am having some connectivity issues with a Windows XP (home SP2) desktop computer. The error seems to be with the DNS Cache.

The other day the cable Internet went out for a bit. No computers had access. When it came back, a laptop and a desktop accessing the network wirelessly worked fine, but the desktop plugged directly into the router did not work at all. I've tried using wired and wireless connections on it, but I get the same error.

When I attempt to REPAIR the network connection, it fails because it cannot clear the DNS cache.

I have tried several command prompt attacks:

ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /release (worth a try I guess)

ipconfig /renew

and a few other things I can't remember that involved stopping and starting services.

I have connectivity and an IP address. Gateway, DHCP, and DNS are all pointing to the router (192.168.2.1)

The router is set up and working properly. I've tried resetting it but it doesn't do any good. Right now DHCP is set up on it and the other two computers on the network properly lease IP addresses. The router config page shows no errors and everything has it's number.

I've done a lot of google on this and I haven't found a solution. I'm not sure how to fix it.

Thanks!

Edited by bacterozoid

I am having some connectivity issues with a Windows XP (home SP2) desktop computer. The error seems to be with the DNS Cache.

The other day the cable Internet went out for a bit. No computers had access. When it came back, a laptop and a desktop accessing the network wirelessly worked fine, but the desktop plugged directly into the router did not work at all. I've tried using wired and wireless connections on it, but I get the same error.

When I attempt to REPAIR the network connection, it fails because it cannot clear the DNS cache.

I have tried several command prompt attacks:

ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /release (worth a try I guess)

ipconfig /renew

and a few other things I can't remember that involved stopping and starting services.

I have connectivity and an IP address. Gateway, DHCP, and DNS are all pointing to the router (192.168.2.1)

The router is set up and working properly. I've tried resetting it but it doesn't do any good. Right now DHCP is set up on it and the other two computers on the network properly lease IP addresses. The router config page shows no errors and everything has it's number.

I've done a lot of google on this and I haven't found a solution. I'm not sure how to fix it.

Thanks!

I get that error on one of my machines.... cannot clear DNS cache ... no idea how to solve :hammer:

Edited by rdf8585

Have you tried pinging the router? Are you able to reach the router from that computer?

You can also try the following commands:

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt - Reset TCP/IP stack

netsh winsock reset log.txt - Reset winsock (SP2 only)

The first command if successful will no echo anything. The second will say "Winsock successfully reset".

If you can ping the router, next try nslookup on www.google.com and see what you get.

Well, nevermind all that. I did a hundred things, even reinstalled and uninstalled TCP/IP. Turns out Norton Internet Security was messing things up. Weird part is that it wasn't even activated - the taskbar had the red by it. I just got tired of seeing the setup for it every time I rebooted so on a whim I just went through and set it up, then thought I might as well disable it...and then there it was...the Internet.

Thanks all!

We've rebooted several times to no avail.

Hiryu, I can ping the router, but nobody else. I used a program called angry IP scanner to find some information out. Here's what I found:

On a computer that works on the network, I find all machines using the network without any issue at all. The hostname, mac, whatever, is all filled in.

On the non-working machine, ran the same program at the same time. It found only two machines (including the router). One laptop was not included, but it found two desktops (all of these are connected wirelessly).

Also, none of the mac addresses or hostnames are listed when I run the scanner on the PC that does not work.

Go figure...any ideas?

Edited by bacterozoid