Sign in to follow this  
Mistress

Help removing [PCPitstop Optimize Registration Reminder]

Hello all,

How the heck is this removed permanently from my machine? It's like a bad penny,

it keeps coming back :(

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCPitstop Optimize Registration Reminder] C:\Program Files2\PCPitstop\Optimize\Reminder.exe

I must have removed it 3 dozen times from the registry, and/or HJT/or msconfig.

I do not need or want it any more! It needs to be GONE!

TY!

If you haven't purchased the program.... rescan with HJT, put a check next to:

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCPitstop Optimize Registration Reminder] C:\Program Files2\PCPitstop\Optimize\Reminder.exe

Close all browsers and other open windows, then click 'fix checked'

Go to add/Remove Programs and uninstall/remove

PC Pitstop Optomize

Next, using Windows Explorer navigate to program files and delete the folder:

C:\Program Files2\PCPitstop\Optimize

Look in the folder to make sure there isn't anything else you may have purchased....

That is all well and good but....

there is NO longer a directory called C:\Program Files2\PCPitstop\Optimize ! It has been gone for quite a while, and I KEEP deleting the value in the registry, and HJT and where ever else it refers to the registry!

I have been trying to delete it now for 3 months!

Let me ask you, where else might it be hiding aside for that 1 spot in the reg. and the

C:\Program Files2\PCPitstop\Optimize ?? I have looked and can not find any place. Maybe there is a .dll or another file that makes it return? (sigh)

I am past being frustrated! :thud:

Do you have any anti-spyware program running, such as Spybot's TeaTimer, Windows Defender, Spy Sweeper, SpywareGuard, or AdWatch? If you do, disable or exit the program, then 'fix' the O4 line in HJT and reboot.

Any one of those anti-spyware programs could be keeping you from getting rid of it.

I've got the same issue as mistress. I also think my computer gets slow because of that bug, as after I remove that reminder from the registry it starts working normal again.

I think is a shame for a paid optimizing program to cause such problems. I understand it might not be the only one guilty here but still.. it shouldn't be more complicated to get rid of it then hitting uninstall. That's how it is for the most of the programs I know, regardless of the other programs running on the computer at the moment.

Edited by zseba

ACK!

It was gone for less than 24 hours and it's back! AGAIN!

There HAS to be something that is calling it to restart and settle into the 'run'.

I have tried removing it in safemode too, :thud: no good

ACK!

It was gone for less than 24 hours and it's back! AGAIN!

There HAS to be something that is calling it to restart and settle into the 'run'.

I have tried removing it in safemode too, :thud: no good

I'm not a pro but I guess the mighty pc pitstop leaves you with 2 main options: either you buy their program and that reminder will go off of the registry, or you take the thorough approach of reinstalling the OS.

Of course, if seeing the registry entry there is the only problem I don't think it worth taking any of the above 2 options.

Maybe a pc pitstop programmer guy will be nice enough to say here how you can get rid of that "bad penny" they created for us.

If I was right and my computer was slow because of it then we might talk of a marketing strategy at least mischievous, as I guess they try to make people pay for the optimizing program as the computers will work slow after "trying" the pc pitstop optimizer.

I say "trying" because that's misleading advertising too, as you don't get to try anything: you need to pay in order to actually see if the program works.

Have either of you rebooted/restarted your computer after uninstalling, deleting the folder and cleaning the registry?

Also, if you have an Anti-spyware program running, it is possible that it is interfering with your attempts to get rid of Optimizer.

I'm not a pro but I guess the mighty pc pitstop leaves you with 2 main options: either you buy their program and that reminder will go off of the registry, or you take the thorough approach of reinstalling the OS.

Of course, if seeing the registry entry there is the only problem I don't think it worth taking any of the above 2 options.

Maybe a pc pitstop programmer guy will be nice enough to say here how you can get rid of that "bad penny" they created for us.

If I was right and my computer was slow because of it then we might talk of a marketing strategy at least mischievous, as I guess they try to make people pay for the optimizing program as the computers will work slow after "trying" the pc pitstop optimizer.

I say "trying" because that's misleading advertising too, as you don't get to try anything: you need to pay in order to actually see if the program works.

Is this problem a results of uninstalling the program correctly by using the uninstaller at Start>Programs>PC Pitstop>Optimize>uninstall PC Pitstop Optimize or was it removed some other way?

I have not seen or heard of computers slowing down from having an entry in the 'run' folder. Running a program from there, yes, just having an entry there, no. And if you were right, I would expect this board to be flooded with complaints about that issue, and it's not. I could only find these two right here.

What worked for mistress was reinstalling the trial program into the exact same folder as it was in originally, then using the unistaller that is supplied with the program to uninstall it.

If you originally allowed the program to install into the default folder of its own choice, after running the uninstaller, go to My Computer>C:\>Program Files>PC Pitstop>Optimize and delete the entire Optimize folder.

Then go to Start>Run>type "regedit" without the quotes and hit the 'enter' key.

Once the registry editor opens, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PC Pitstop\Optimize and delete that folder as well

If you originally directed the installer to a different folder, that would be the one to delete.

... it shouldn't be more complicated to get rid of it then hitting uninstall. That's how it is for the most of the programs I know, regardless of the other programs running on the computer at the moment.

And for 99.99% of those that try the free scan, it isn't.

Also, from the free scan page:

The trial version is limited to scan only.

First of all thanks to IntelGuy and Jacee who tried to come up with solutions for the problem. I hope you didn't feel offended by my earlier assumptions, but those were resulted from the frustrations the optimizer software has caused me.

Now getting back to the technical part:

Is this problem a results of uninstalling the program correctly by using the uninstaller at Start>Programs>PC Pitstop>Optimize>uninstall PC Pitstop Optimize or was it removed some other way?

I think I uninstalled the program via Control Panel> Add/Remove Programs, but I wouldn't think it made such a difference.

I have not seen or heard of computers slowing down from having an entry in the 'run' folder. Running a program from there, yes, just having an entry there, no.

What I found is an entry in the startup list, as detected by RegCleaner, Spy Sweeper and HJT, named PC Pitstop Optimize Registration Reminder, with the location C:\Program Files\PCPitstop\Optimize\Reminder.exe and loaded from HKEY_LM\Run

I tried to remove that entry from the start up list with all the aforementioned programs, but after reboot it will be back there.

I can't be sure if the computer was working slower because of this issue or others, but it's just one more reason to try and fix everything the hard way: reinstalling windows. :mrgreen:

What worked for mistress was reinstalling the trial program into the exact same folder as it was in originally, then using the uninstaller that is supplied with the program to uninstall it.

If you originally allowed the program to install into the default folder of its own choice, after running the uninstaller, go to My Computer>C:\>Program Files>PC Pitstop>Optimize and delete the entire Optimize folder.

Once the registry editor opens, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PC Pitstop\Optimize and delete that folder as well

I did that, and unfortunately it didn't work.

What I've seen happening: when the Optimizer finishes the free scan, Spy Sweeper will pop up an alert for me asking if I would let the reminder stuff to install itself in the startup.

Then after uninstalling the optimizer an other pop up with the same thing: the pc pitstop optimizer reminder wants itself in the OS startup.

I thought that delting the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PC Pitstop\Optimize was the trick to get rid of the startup entry but it seems it wasn't.

I'm sorry, but I still think it's something wrong with the Optimizer software: it isn't right that it tries to set that reminder in the start up. I don't even know what that reminder does, but it smells a little like spyware.

It is true though that none of the security software that runs on my computer identifies it as a threat.

The only thing that 'run' entry does is execute Reminder.exe in the Program Files\Optimize folder. Have you ever had the reminder popup? Clicking the "uninstall" link has removed the Optimize program and the reminder for 99.99% of those who have used it.

opt.JPG

You may want to run a registry search for the string value 'Remind' and see if anything associated with Optimize or PC Pitstop shows up:

reg.JPG

First of all thanks to IntelGuy and Jacee who tried to come up with solutions for the problem. I hope you didn't feel offended by my earlier assumptions, but those were resulted from the frustrations the optimizer software has caused me.

Now getting back to the technical part:

I think I uninstalled the program via Control Panel> Add/Remove Programs, but I wouldn't think it made such a difference.

In my experience, this could definitely make a difference, depending on what other method of uninstalling you might have used. For example, if you used, say, Ccleaner to uninstall it, that should be fine. However if you just deleted that Optimizer in C:\Program Files\..., that will almost always leave a large handful of DLLs and other files scattered around your system.

...What I've seen happening: when the Optimizer finishes the free scan, Spy Sweeper will pop up an alert for me asking if I would let the reminder stuff to install itself in the startup.

Then after uninstalling the optimizer an other pop up with the same thing: the pc pitstop optimizer reminder wants itself in the OS startup.

I thought that delting the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PC Pitstop\Optimize was the trick to get rid of the startup entry but it seems it wasn't.

I'm sorry, but I still think it's something wrong with the Optimizer software: it isn't right that it tries to set that reminder in the start up. I don't even know what that reminder does, but it smells a little like spyware.

It is true though that none of the security software that runs on my computer identifies it as a threat.

The first notification from SpySweeper was when you installed Optimizer? Or ran the online scan? That would be the creation of a startup entry by Optimizer. I agree that iof this is only a one-time online scan, then this sounds like a marketing tool.

However the second notification you received from SpySweeper, the one as you were uninstalling Optimizer? I am fairly certain that is actually Optimizer trying to remove its' startup entry. I have noticed that SpySweeper has that idiosyncracy in its choice of words - I suspect the programmers do not speak English natively. Whenever an application is uninstalled, if it has a startup entry the uninstaller removes that. Amd SpySweeper simply sees it as a program "writing data" to the startup config file. So if you had SpySweeper stop that action, that is most likely the reason you still have the item in your startup config file. And if you had SpySweeper "remember" that instruction, then no matter how many times you reinstall and uninstall Optimizer, SpySweeper is now bound and determined to keep that startup item intact!

You can go into SpySweeper's rules and delete that one. Then install Optimizer again and immediately uninstall it. This time, when SpySweeper asks about the startup entry during or right after the uninstall process - allow it, regardless of how backwards it seems to be worded. Optimizer's uninstaller will then remove that entry, (actually it will send a command to that file that will cause it to be removed - SpySweeper can't tell that from the command that set it up in the first place), and you should be good to go from there.

Give it a try and post back to let me know how it went, OK?

Take care, dude.

I have not seen or heard of computers slowing down from having an entry in the 'run' folder. Running a program from there, yes, just having an entry there, no. And if you were right, I would expect this board to be flooded with complaints about that issue, and it's not. I could only find these two right here.

What worked for mistress was reinstalling the trial program into the exact same folder as it was in originally, then using the unistaller that is supplied with the program to uninstall it.

If you originally directed the installer to a different folder, that would be the one to delete.

And for 99.99% of those that try the free scan, it isn't.

Also, from the free scan page:

Hello,

The solution given by Mistress (reinstall and uninstall via programs PCPitstop\uninstall) didn't work for me....

it even created a SECOND entry in the startup of Msconfig and in the registry HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run

(there was first also an entry left in HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\Menuorder\Startmenu2\Programs\PCPitstop)

Deleting those entries didn't help, after a restart the enties were there again..

To keep it short, I finally did this:

FIRST I deleted the VALUES ( e.g. C:\PCPitstop\optimize\reminder.exe) in the Run rules.

AFTER that only I deleted the Run rule completely...

(don't ask me why it works, maybe because there is no reference left anymore)

It never came back again, not in the startup nor in the register.

Hope this can help for some guys (and girls) who were still having the problem