Sign in to follow this  
Paultx

Undocumented Start menu tip

When you open things from the Start menu > All programs, you have to start over for every single thing you want to open. Very annoying.

But if you keep the Shift key pressed, you go clicking and opening things behind the menu, which stays open.

Notes:

- I found this one serendipitously, checked out a pretty lot of MS documentation and didn't find it, then sent it many months ago to a PC World editor.

- Tested only with Windows XP and 2000.

Who would and what to open at the same time?I find this absulutelly useless altho its a nice find.I just can not imagine someone just keep opening applications in a row like that. :blink:

Who would and what to open at the same time?I find this absulutelly useless altho its a nice find.I just can not imagine someone just keep opening applications in a row like that. :blink:

Well since you asked the question, I just used it the other day to open all the 'readmes' at one time after updating a program. I was glad to have it as a tool. :)

tip.JPG

Well since you asked the question, I just used it the other day to open all the 'readmes' at one time after updating a program. I was glad to have it as a tool. :)

post-9930-1160119185_thumb.jpg

That is just a ridicolous thing to do.Look I did what you said you did and got a group of 6 in the taskbar closed then I just opened the Infanview folder to do the same thing.From the folder it is much easier to read out than it is from the taskbar.I dont even think anybody want to read readmes like that whatsoever and the tip was for opening applications which is even more crazy.Nobody ever does such a thing. :blink:

Posted Image

That is just a ridicolous thing to do.Look I did what you said you did and got a group of 6 in the taskbar closed then I just opened the Infanview folder to do the same thing.From the folder it is much easier to read out than it is from the taskbar.I dont even think anybody want to read readmes like that whatsoever and the tip was for opening applications which is even more crazy.Nobody ever does such a thing. :blink:

Posted Image

look mem if you don't like it, don't like it, its all up to you. Other people do like it, we all find it as a useful key in ouy daily usage.

if your trying to say he doesn't deserve it, say it, because he does deserve this award.

thanks, don't wanna be offensive, rude, or bring a WAR, but its a gr8 tip for people who want it. if you don't want it, ok up to you as I said, simple as that.

look mem if you don't like it, don't like it, its all up to you. Other people do like it, we all find it as a useful key in ouy daily usage.

if your trying to say he doesn't deserve it, say it, because he does deserve this award.

thanks, don't wanna be offensive, rude, or bring a WAR, but its a gr8 tip for people who want it. if you don't want it, ok up to you as I said, simple as that.

Oh well what can I say.Intelguy said its good and you havent try it yet. Tell me what applications you do open like that at the same time?

I find that this trick is only great becouse it wasnt easy to find as it isnt recorded anywhere.Dosnt it makes you think why?

USELESS.

Oh well what can I say.Intelguy said its good and you havent try it yet. Tell me what applications you do open like that at the same time?

I find that this trick is only great becouse it wasnt easy to find as it isnt recorded anywhere.Dosnt it makes you think why?

USELESS.

never useless. at the moment I don't have time to make screenshots, but I use it too. You also said "Intelguy said its good and you havent try it yet", well he said its good, yeah but I also used it, thats why I commented here.

So the bottom line is that This guy deserves an award, its like 99% of ppl like it, and 1% don't.

USELESS.

I use it to open Adobe Photoshop CS2 and Cinema 4D at the same time.

OR

Ad-aware + Spybot + HJT.....

Edited by strukt

never useless. at the moment I don't have time to make screenshots, but I use it too. You also said "Intelguy said its good and you havent try it yet", well he said its good, yeah but I also used it, thats why I commented here.

So the bottom line is that This guy deserves an award, its like 99% of ppl like it, and 1% don't.

I also use it for deleting the "garbage" from the Start Menu. When setting up machines for a lab environment, for example, I delete the Windows Catalog and Open/Start a new MS Office file, etc...

Very handy tip for cleaning up the Start Menu! I give it two thumbs up! :tup::tup:

if you keep the Shift key pressed, you go clicking and opening things behind the menu, which stays open.

Very cool. Thanks Paultx!

Peter

I understand how you might feel uncomfortable doing more than one thing at once, with this in mind DO NOT press ctrl + alt + del, and look at the processes tab; you may just put yourself into a coma.

When you open things from the Start menu > All programs, you have to start over for every single thing you want to open. Very annoying.

But if you keep the Shift key pressed, you go clicking and opening things behind the menu, which stays open.

It is good to have this handy for times when you DO need to use it. Thanks. As for the disgruntled who don't like it: after an answer or two, not worth trying, since some people seem determined to be nay sayers. If you don't like it, skip it.

Surely we must all do this a million times a day in life or in computing. Geese, I stopped to tell others how useless their favorite things are, I would be a miserable puddleglum.

Perhaps This tip is useless to Mem because he has no USE for it. But what if you do complex photo or sound editing and use mutiple programs to achive different effects that single programs don't provide? Like I do. You might very well find this tip helpful. Like I do!

The bottom line, before you condem someone else's tip ~~ because you're jelous they got paid for it ~~ open your mind and realise that not all tips you read about will help all people. If it doesn't help you, try to find joy for those it does. It's only money.

Better advice yet, scour the Net and find that pearl of wisdom that will put the cash in YOUR pocket.

Maybe my advice will win ME the cash....hmmmm.

Congrats to the winner!

-Dean-

This tip was posted here a few months ago, I think. :)

EDIT: Repost by same bloke: http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?showtopic=115691

Would be nice if you stayed and posted in some other forums.

with regards

So does that mean the fellow gets the $100 prize twice? Well I suppose if he is clever enough to pull it off, and the PC Pitstop Co. un-clever enough not to check, to the victor goes the spoils.

Edited by paulnjean

[quote So the bottom line is that This guy deserves an award, its like 99% of ppl like it, and 1% don't.

Thanks for posting this. I have been frustrated because I have to keep going back in to the start menu so I have put shortcuts on the desktop but I then have to minimize my screens to open the programs that I want. this little tip is awesome. I have already used it and will be passing it on to my friends.

Thanks Paultx.

This tip is great! :cheers: I will use it often. Gamesteacher, for future reference right click on your taskbar to get the option for "show the desktop".

Edited by tekgirl

So does that mean the fellow gets the $100 prize twice? Well I suppose if he is clever enough to pull it off, and the PC Pitstop Co. un-clever enough not to check, to the victor goes the spoils.

The tip has been posted twice by Paultx, but it has not previously been selected for inclusion in the newsletter. Only one prize. :)