Sign in to follow this  
Ash74

Downloader Virus - System32\jetvol.dll

Hi there…

Every time I open Internet Explorer, Norton AntiVirus says I have a Virus attached to Windows\System32\jetvol.dll called Downloader (no suffix after the virus name). Neither Norton or AdAware SE can remove this.

I was able to remove a similar virus in the past by starting the computer in Safe Mode and changing the dll file to a text file and then re-starting the computer again in Command Prompt mode and deleting the file in that way. This time, it will not allow me to re-name the file saying it is being used by another person or program and that I would have to close any programs it might be using first.

At this point I have reached the limits of my knowledge and am asking for assistance from anyone out there that might know what I would need to do to remove this.

I thank anyone who responds in advance for their patients, time and effort in helping me.

Perform an onlinescan with Panda

Panda Online

- Once you are on the Panda site click the Scan your PC button

- A new window will open...click the Check Now button

- Enter your Country

- Enter your State/Province

- Enter your e-mail address and click send

- Select either Home User or Company

- Click the big Scan Now button

- If it wants to install an ActiveX component allow it

- It will start downloading the files it requires for the scan (Note: It may take a few minutes)

- When download is complete, click on Local Disks to start the scan

Also, see if you can go into Safe Mode by pressing F8 Rapidly when you hear a beep on your computer, then going here: Windows\System32\jetvol.dll and trying to delete the file.

Hey Neon...

I already tried to delete the jetvol.dll but it wont let me do that or rename it. Each time it says its being used and to close the application or program first.

Hello rstones12...

Sorry for the loooooong delay in reply to your post but I had been dealing with a serious family emergancy since my computer problems began and it overtook all my time. Everything is good and Im back now and have need of this comouter once more.

Is your offer for help still good if I run Hijack This?

Please let me know....

Thanks.

My friend just got rid of a nasty trojen on his pc. I asked him what he used. He tried norton, spybot, and ad-aware he said none of those worked. He tried a program that i have never used called superantispyware. This did the trick no more virus. I had another friend try this program out on his pc and it removed three viruses from his pc as well. I have yet to get a virus on my new pc so i have not been able to test it out myself. Here is a link to get superantispyware. http://www.superantispyware.com/

Hi Ash74,

If you are still having problems with your computer, then by all means follow the link in rstones12's post.

Please be patient with us, as we all work on more than one forum.

Thank you,

Jacee :)

Wow....

I just tried that SuperAntiSpyware download as recomended by prairiedogsplatr and it did the trick. The virus is gone along with a lot of other stuff Nortons and Ad-Aware never picked up on routine scans.

Many thanks to everyone who posted here and tried to help out. Keep fighting the good fight for us weekend computer jockeys. We appreciate it.