Sign in to follow this  
Dark12

Thinking of purchasing a laptop

Hey everyone!!!!

Well I finally gave in and decided to take out a student loan. I really do need a laptop. I will be using for typing up papers, gaming, watching movies, etc.

Ive been configuring systems on the sony, dell, and alienware websites and I gotta say the prices sure are inflated. Id like to stay under 2000 i think... Id like a high end video card, good processor, and good battery life. My girlfriend is going to school 4 hours away so Ill need something to do while Im on the train.

Hmm it might be easier to list my requirements -

- Preferably under $2000

- Would like it to be portable (Would like to stay well under 17" I think)

- Needs a good processor and video card for gaming

- Battery life needs to be atleast 3-4 hours

- Atleast 1 gig of memory

Also, I heard the core 2 duos are kicking :filtered: so Im probably going to wait until the centrino is available with that, unless turion x2 is better?

Yea. I really need some help picking one out. Thanks in advance for suggestions and help!!!!

High end video card + 3 hour battery life is not going to happen. Bigger the screen mean less battery life as well. I can give you certain advice but I'm afraid the final decision is yours.

With my laptop it comes with the Intel Integrated graphics and a geforce go 7400 and I can switch between them using a switch on the lappy, a neat feature, if you can get this you may possibly get a high end card and switch to it when gaming.

Merom based lappys will start appearing towards the end of this month though the prices may be a bit steep.

Went to the Toshiba website and started configuring a Satellite R20 lappy:

Intel Core Duo cpu T2500 2Ghz/2Mb L2 667Mhz FSB

XP Tablet Edition 2005 O/S

2x512 PC5300 DDR2

14.1 Diag WXGA+ Display

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950

80Gb 7200rpm hdd SATA

DVD Dual Layer burner

Atheros WiFi

Spare tablet pen (yes you can write on it....!!

Standard 1 year warranty

$1892.70

http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/ebtext...fam&seg=HHO

Here's a link to some "high perf." goodies:

http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/srch.t...p;in_dim_srch=1

;)

Thanks for the suggestions guys. i wanna keep it well below 17" though and it needs to have an ok video card. I wish they offered video card upgrades on the tablet pc. :-(

I configured an XPS M1210 for around 1700 and I think thats what Im gonna go with. I just hope 12 inches isnt too small...

it will be small unless you hook it to a monitor when you are at home or the dorm. 12'' will be ok fo ryour train rides though....

i'm typing htis on my 17'' e1705 from dell.

HUGE FREAKING SCREEN

Best one I have tried is the "Acer Ferrari" Line.

Here are a couple of links:

http://global.acer.com/products/notebook/fr4000.htm#

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16834115221

X_C

whats all this .......... a ferrari laptop ....... a Lamborghini laptop whats next a Hyundai laptop :laughing:

LMAO, gotta love the truth of that article.

prolly couldn't push the envelope on speed BECAUSE the case badge of that lambo, lol.

dell can easily whop that, hell, my inspiron, not xps, can beat that, lol.

Well I think Ill be purchasing an E1505 Laptop from dell.

The specs are

Intel® Core™ Duo Proc T2400 (1.83GHz/667MHz/2 X 1MB L2 Cache)

15.4 inch UltraSharp™ Wide Screen SXGA+ Display with TrueLife™

1GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz, 2 Dimm

120GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive

8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability

Dell Wireless 1390 802.11b/g Mini Card (54Mbps)

256MB NVIDIA® GeForce™Go 7300 TurboCache

Integrated Sound Blaster® Audigy™ HD Software Edition

53 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery

85 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Additional Battery

The final price is $1462.

Is that a pretty good system for the price? Should I wait for the Core 2 Duos??

Thanks in advance!!!

core2 duo will take a few months once released to get stable w/ the laptops, just like the core duo did.

you don't need two batteries unless you'll be doing heavy using for extended periods. either way you don't really want the 6 cell battery, not much capacity.

also, the SB audigy is just software, i don't think ya even really need it 'cause before i install that, i have to get drivers for the normal sound card anyways.

Ok cool. So Ill just get a single 9 cell battery.

Is the core 2 duo really better performance? If so Ill just wait for it... i heard its gonna be the same price.

Yes but can't remember where it was on the net. We did some test comparing them at work. Check sites like Anandtech and those for the comparison, I can't remember which one published the comparison. The new CPUs will be pin compatibe and if you have a i945GM core logic based motherboard will be able to just drop on in, probably require a BIOS flash first, and just go from there.

ok, from what i have heard, the core2 pin out is different from the yonah.

second, i haven't seen ANY laptops out w/ the core2 chips yet......

and they'll also use less power 'cause they'll be paired w/ the centrino stuff, unless you disable that

ok, from what i have heard, the core2 pin out is different from the yonah.

second, i haven't seen ANY laptops out w/ the core2 chips yet......

and they'll also use less power 'cause they'll be paired w/ the centrino stuff, unless you disable that

Core2 DUO Conroe is LGA 775 (Socket T) but Merom will be BGA 479.. mobile Core2 Duo. Santa Rosa will be Socket P but that will be introduced next year. :)

They use the same power per MHz as the Core Duo, both part of the Centrino package, but have better performance in most instances.

You can't disable Centrino as it's a package of components.. a hardware platform. I think you're referring to Intel's power management feature known as SpeedStep.

Edited by Intratech

if they're gonna be the same pinout i wouldn't wait.

besides, from how dell handles brandnew releases of cpu's, i dunoo if it's product wide, but there seems to be several months of unstability before they get all the drivers and xp patches worked out.

Well the turion x2 doesnt seem very good. The battery life looks worse and it seems slower.

Any suggestions?!?!?

if they're gonna be the same pinout i wouldn't wait.

besides, from how dell handles brandnew releases of cpu's, i dunoo if it's product wide, but there seems to be several months of unstability before they get all the drivers and xp patches worked out.

Dunno but Intel's road map show a rapid ramp of core2 duo Merom to replace the current Yonah. Dunno about DeLL but we had no problem with the Merom in a Toshiba system.. not sure about what patches you're on about. Just need a BIOS flash to update the microcode and install the CPU.. business as normal.

Dark, you'd be better off on a Centrino platform mate.

Edited by Intratech

Awesome Intra. Thanks much!

My student loan will be here in a week. Who do you recommend I buy my Core2 through?