Sign in to follow this  
Seldom

HJT Certified

I have no objection to the discussion, but I think you will agree I had to wade through some posts that were not very helpfull.

Any thread that could lead to cutting down the number of logs that go unanswered (by someone who knows what they are doing) has my interest.

Edited nasty typo

Edited by Metallica

And those who make the rounds at other fourms will know Metallica is very well known in the HJT circles and does an excellent job as a advisor and you will see any time now his name will go blue.

I hope he sticks around and helps out more here so we can catch up on "our" logs as well. :beer:

Welcome

Addition.......... Metalica

The very fact that your only posts here at the pit are in this thread is proof that such threads spark peoples interest, and that these discussions grab peoples attention.

Such discussions are a good thing, a healthy thing, and the way that forums work best. ;)

:tup:

It's certainly tweaked my interest. I do have to think back on how things were done before there was a specific HJT forum and how help was given. I remember that Radio was about the only one trying to use the HJT utility/program. If Radio wasn't around, then no one got any help. I know the same people were here then as are here now so where was everyone before the specific forum and restrictions. It's almost like the Tom Sawyer Huck Finn fence painting bit. No one wants to do it untill they can't. :)

I don't think many people were even aware of what radio was doing. I was aware of what he was doing, and poked around with it, but it never caught my interest, because it wasn't something I was having a problem with, and at that time while malware was indeed a problem, it wasn't as prevalent as it is today. I probably wouldn't even have been aware of it, except for the fact that a project I was working on and a couple social events brought radio and I together.

Radio was certainly there in the beginning, and doing more then anyone else that I know. He is without a doubt one of the brightest members here. I would trust him any day of the week to work on one of my computers. In fact he even came to the house to do just that one day. :lol: We were both treading on new ground with a computer project for Rob Cheng. It didn't go well. :lol:

While it may have been to late for Rob, I ended up workingthat particular project sparked my interest so much that it is my favorite thing to do. ;)

My point in the statement I just made is, I knew and trusted radio from us both being long time members here. I trusted his opinion, and trusted his computer knowledge.

The thing is, I didn't have much interest in HJT at that time because it wasn't something that could benefit me and what I was working on at the time.

Radio probably doesn't have much interest in the things I am doing today. That doesn't mean that either of the things we are doing are any less important to each of us. I believe we are at opposite ends of the computing spectrum. However there is no doubt in my mind that he is still capable of helping me with the applications I use, as he has alerted me to security issues and updates that I was not aware of.

I of course researched the problem, and the remedy and upgraded immediately. While he isn't doing the things I am probably doing, and not doing them the same way, I took the knowledge a person I trusted and used it.

I didn't say sorry, you are not certified in Linux, are not certified in MySQL databases and are not certified in Apache servers, so your information is not valid.

While I may not have a need for HJT on my systems, and don't have a way of using it myself, that certainly doesn't mean I have no interest in helping people.

It certainly doesn't mean I have no interest in seeing as many people helping and being helped as possible.

Many people have a great amount of expertise in certain areas, and have enough general knowledge and research skills to assist when it is necessary. Some have mediocore skills, and do the best they can, and often through trials and tribulations end up resolving problems for hundreds of people every day. Some I wouldn't let dial a number on my cell phone :lol:

We will never get enough competent people to help out in the HJT forum the way things are now.

Thanks for the kind words Bruce :)

and Welcome to the Pit Pieter :mrgreen:

I haven't been actively helping with HJT logs for quite some time now,

I just got burnt out trying to help so many people at so many different forums, almost a dozen at the time.

Even though I was the one that started the use of HJT on this forum,

Jacee has been the one to keep it going in what I see as a positive direction for the Pit.

Thanks for the welcome radio. :beer:

I haven't been actively helping with HJT logs for quite some time now,

I just got burnt out trying to help so many people at so many different forums, almost a dozen at the time.

I know the story and the feeling. :thud:

Pick a forum you enjoy, and are comfortable with and stick with it, you will do far more in the long run to help people then jumping around to 15 different places. :geezer:

anyone with any decent knowledge of how the windows operating system works and access to google can make short work of a hjt log.

I have to respectfully disagree with you. Merely identifying which lines are bad in a HijackThis log does not mean that a person can or will successfully clean that pc. You need to know what type of infection each line belongs to. MOST of the malware nowadays requires much more than just fixing the lines and deleting the offending files. Heck, many of the files CANT be simply deleted anymore

the argument isn't how easy or difficult hjt is to interpret, but rather that people are being excluded from helping out in a much neglected area because they didn't receive their 'training' from a freaking internet forum,

Again, this goes back to knowing what you're dealing with, and how to fix the problem. By requiring training from an approved forum, we are confident that our Staff members know what they are doing, and know where to get help if they are stuck. Doing what we do every day is NOT as easy as it may seem to many people. I've been at this over three years now (thanks, Pieter love :wub: ), and I still learn something new nearly every day. The malware world changes constantly, as do the things we must come up with to combat the demons.

which has no accredidation whatsoever.

I actually almost take offense to that statement. Accredited? Maybe not by some state governing body, no. But the vast amount of expertise of all those who pioneered this fight and trained many of us here today FAR outweighs any dang piece of paper some "accrediting body" could ever give us.

because as long as their post count here stands at 5 for the past 9 months, then their post count elsewhere is meaningless.

Incorrect. Let's use Pieter as the example, as I am so fond of doing. ;)

Pieter may not be active here, as with other forums he is a staff member of. Even though he doesn't post much, he IS around. Being one of the leading Experts in this industry, it is invaluable to be able to simply shoot him a pm here if I were to get stuck on something. Knowing he is a member and can help out in a pinch, or contribute to testing or tools carries FAR more weight than his post count does. Being an Expert of this caliber carries a LOT of weight to those of us who Administrate at boards like this. At Geekstogo, we have several staff members who have very few posts. However, they can and DO poke their noses into our Special Cases threads, grab new files for testing, etc. They are just as important..if not MORE so in some ways...as our Malware removers who have over 10,000 posts.

You guys have me really curious.. how difficult would it be to set up a HJT training camp (or classroom) over here at the pit? :huh:

What does such an undertaking.. uh... take? :mrgreen:

how difficult would it be to set up a HJT training camp (or classroom) over here at the pit? :huh:

That is just one of the issues. The main issue is even if we had such classes there are folks here who want to help "and can possibly help" who would still not want to attend the classes.

That seems to be the biggest complaint about the system.

or contribute to testing or tools carries FAR more weight than his post count does. Being an Expert of this caliber carries a LOT of weight to those of us who Administrate at boards like this.

If it wasnt for people like this we would not have the special tools and fixes we have now.

Examples

smitfraudfix,Avenger,ATF cleaner, The list goes on and on. :clap:

Edited by PORTHOS

I've started HJT trainning myself before..... before Jacee was an HJT advisor and I know an HJT advisor, I also know that it does take dedication to do this, I have personally been helped by somebody that thought they knew how to do logs before being a certified advisor and after two hours the pc was still infected, after getting help from a certified advisor it was cleaned up in less than a half hour.... being certified at it. Being a certified HJT advisor does make a big difference.I think that Bruce is right about "going to other forums".... so I think that the pit should start it's own HJT school to allow members here to effectively learn and become advisors help others with their infections, I know that Jacee (overworking her) and Teacup are capabill and I see no reason that the pit can't somehow presuade other HJT advisors to start classes here at the pit

JMHO

Edited by Joe C

Examples

smitfraudfix,Avenger,ATF cleaner, The list goes on and on. :clap:

I've never even heard of those before... I guess I've been out of the Windows loop for a while now... :surrender:

I think that Bruce is right about "going to other forums".... so I think that the pit should start it's own HJT school to allow members here to effectively learn and become advisors help others with their infections, I know that Jacee (overworking her) and Teacup are capabill and I see no reason that the pit can't somehow presuade other HJT advisors to start classes here at the pit

JMHO

That's pretty much how I see it from reading this thread.

There are enough classroms for HJT on other boards. This one is too small to maintain a good classroom. We will continue to help with HJT logs, but as far as setting up a classroom, I don't have the time to put any more responsibility on my plate.

It's been mentioned over and over again....you can get the training you need (if you're serious) on outside boards. We are a 'tight knit' group and can spot those who are good and not going to waste a teacher's precious time.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with outside training and then helping on your home forum.

C'mon...HJT is not that difficult if you are familiar with pc troubleshooting..you dont have to be an expert..just look over the available tutorials (such as this one: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial42.html) ... try it on your test system and call yourself an expert and dont worry if you arent certified by some whacky online forum...

IMHO from everything I read I think its easier and faster to get A+, MCDST, and maybe even CCNA than this HJT so called certification :pullhair::rofl2:

Edited by aeroman10

There are enough classroms for HJT on other boards. This one is too small to maintain a good classroom. We will continue to help with HJT logs, but as far as setting up a classroom, I don't have the time to put any more responsibility on my plate.

It's been mentioned over and over again....you can get the training you need (if you're serious) on outside boards. We are a 'tight knit' group and can spot those who are good and not going to waste a teacher's precious time.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with outside training and then helping on your home forum.

Nobody's saying you have to personally oversee the classroom. I'm sure you know some locals that are qualified. Edited by Neo X1

I think its easier and faster to get A+, MCDST, and maybe even CCNA than this HJT so called certification

I think that would tell you something right there

Other forums only allow certified advisors, I think until you fully understand what it is that these advisors really know, you'll have another perspective on this. Software programs and what they do isn't known even by many of the peeps here that are "guru's "

Edited by Joe C

OK seems like an impasse with the two camps. Here's another idea that will fly like a lead balloon.

Let people post HJT logs in user to user if they are inclined and do not specifically want Certified HJT analyst to look at them.

This is just an idea as neither side seems to be reaching out to the other.

Edit: OK so no one found any useful information above, how about trivial history? When Jimmy Page and Robert Plant were discussing a name for their band Keith Moon of the Who was there. When Jimmy was talking of naming the band Yardbirds II, Keith said that would go over like a lead balloon. That is how we got the name of the band Led Zeppelin. I just want you to get your moneys worth here. :lol:

Edited by Lou

I think that would tell you something right there

Other forums only allow certified advisors, I think until you fully understand what it is that these advisors really know, you'll have another perspective on this. Software programs and what they do isn't known even by many of the peeps here that are "guru's "

It doesnt tell me anything other than the fact that HJT is portrayed as something that it is really not. I say again, HJT is not that difficult that it would require someone to register at some forum and take classroom training. I am not saying that educating people about it is wrong but creating a certification on a private forum for it without which you cant help people is ridiculous.

Having real IT certs is enough for me, I dont want to spend my time to try to register at some forum and then go through the various hoops just to answer some questions that I can already answer. Just doesnt make sense - if it did then all the programs that are difficult to use or that may have some serious effect on the system should require training and certification and nobody should reply in U2U forum unless they have every possible computer and software certification because otherwise they can screw up someones computer.

most peeps in U2U are hardware related folks, HJT advisors aren't into hardware, just spyware and viruses, and that's changing on a daily basis so they must dedicate most of their time keeping up with that, which is way more than I have the time to do, they do desreve a big thanks for what they do for very little in return

Also... I hear the pay really sux for the job they do

:lol:

Who said its a job? Nobody is making these people do this. They choose to volunteer.

I would gladly help for free just to help others if I wouldnt be banned for answering questions without the HJT Advisor status.

Also, last I checked I didnt know that U2U is mostly hardware oriented but maybe thats because I havent had much time to visit it lately??? :blink: