Sign in to follow this  
Seldom

HJT Certified

My thought too shogan......some of you have joined a classroom and never followed through, some even got good at copying and pasting a 'fix', but had no clue how to understand what the infection does or even identify it.

In most cases, the machine would be wiped clean and Windows re-installed (or Linux)....pfft to you who say it's easy. :rolleyes:

pfffffft Condescending to say the least, and the exact response I expected from the self important people who joined another forum, and suddenly became experts, because the "forum" is called a class, certified, trained.............pffffft

I hope to god such places die a quick death, so members of "this" forum can help other members of this forum, without having to be sent to another forum to learn how to help people in other forums.

Hey Bruce, I don't intend to get into a shouting match over this....I like you and you've always done your best to help me with my questions. I thank you for your time spent with me.

Salo35....I wouldn't let you touch any of my computers with a 10 foot pole. Get your 10's of thousands of dollars worth of training.

It's really quite simple. The pit has rules that everyone must follow. One is that you must be certified to help with the HJT logs. I can do most of it myself, but I don't. Rules are rules. Live with it.

Hey Bruce, I don't intend to get into a shouting match over this....I like you and you've always done your best to help me with my questions. I thank you for your time spent with me.

Salo35....I wouldn't let you touch any of my computers with a 10 foot pole. Get your 10's of thousands of dollars worth of training.

The only thing I would do to your computer is swing at it with a 10 foot pole so I'm glad were settled on that. You don't have to be so arrogant just because you sat there and "learned" as other people interacted as functioning members of society.

PS. The "training" I am taking is also known as a degree

Edited by Salo35

I tried Shogan, and after jumping through about 5 hoops just to get to their forum, it took a week to get approved just to be a member :rofl3: They can kiss my lilly white............

Now we got some kind of light blue "undergraduates" floating around. It gets more ridiculous all the time.

Saddest thing is, these people show up here, have never made a single post before, yet they are allowed to do things that 7 year members are not. :rolleyes:

I had the same experience, took a bloody week to get approved and then the 'course' was some time consuming mickey mouse operation. I wanted to help people with HJT but gave up after being temporarily banned, helping people is not worth being banned over so I won't touch the HJT forum with a 10' poll now.

Well I tried it also but gave up because I could tell the world would be better if I didn't ruin a bunch of machines with wrong advice. I don't buy the mickey mouse, cheezy, stuff though. If it is as easy as some are saying then just get certified and be done with it. You guys sound like my Grandpa when the police told him he'd have to get a drivers license even though he'd been driving for 6 years without one. Not his fault someone came up with the idea of a license. He never did get one. Had my grandma drive him around his whole life. :P

I guess I probably just have a bad taste in my mouth from how the whole thing shook out initially, getting suspended for helping someone through PM's doesn't really make you want to go back and help more people. Someone with little or no experience can go into U2U and have someone absolutely trash their computer, tell them to pull off their cpu heatsink while the computer is playing Doom 3 and HL2 rendering their cpu a paperweight. The most damage a person can do in HJT is rendering the OS unbootable, I know it is still significant damage; however, no physical damage can be done to the computer while in U2U a $3000 computer can be rendered a piece of garbage ready for the curb.

I don't understand why there is the double standards for the different forums :blink:

How sad. :( I'm just now reading this, all 5 pages of it. Every single one of you that posted in this thread inspired me to learn how to help people with their computers. Most of you are heroes to me! Except Seldom......and I see Seldom did make it into a classroom, congrats. :) If it weren't for you guys I'd still be coming here begging for help. I don't have thousands of dollars for a degree in anything, but now I can help people who don't know anything more about their computers than to turn them on and expect them to work. It's not as easy as you think it is trying to explain to a newb how to remove traces of garbage from their registry without them pooching the whole thing, and then trying to educate them so it won't happen again. You know what? Tell me where there's a class to learn everything there is to know about hardware troubleshooting online, for free, and I'll take it too so I can help more in U2U and the other forums here. In the meantime I'll keep learning from you guys, mean as some of your posts here were, and keep helping people in the way I've been trained and know how to. HHmmmm.....and you wonder what's happened to the Pit recently? Trashing what people do to help around here, in any forum,isn't exactly what I call inviting.

Hey, teacup61

You're the hero here. You made it through school, and now your name is in blue. My hat's off to you, and I know many others thank you for your help.

:tup:

How sad. :( I'm just now reading this, all 5 pages of it. Every single one of you that posted in this thread inspired me to learn how to help people with their computers. Most of you are heroes to me! Except Seldom......and I see Seldom did make it into a classroom, congrats. :) If it weren't for you guys I'd still be coming here begging for help. I don't have thousands of dollars for a degree in anything, but now I can help people who don't know anything more about their computers than to turn them on and expect them to work. It's not as easy as you think it is trying to explain to a newb how to remove traces of garbage from their registry without them pooching the whole thing, and then trying to educate them so it won't happen again. You know what? Tell me where there's a class to learn everything there is to know about hardware troubleshooting online, for free, and I'll take it too so I can help more in U2U and the other forums here. In the meantime I'll keep learning from you guys, mean as some of your posts here were, and keep helping people in the way I've been trained and know how to. HHmmmm.....and you wonder what's happened to the Pit recently? Trashing what people do to help around here, in any forum,isn't exactly what I call inviting.

I don't think it was anyones intent to trash the great work that the trusted HJT advisors do. Turning down people who have knowledge of HJT in a forum where hundreds of posts go unanswered is absolutely asinine though. I don't care if they give me the title of 'untrusted hjt advisor' let me help, and if the person wants my help then they can use it and if they want to wait for a 'trusted hjt advisor' then that works as well. It is a skill but it certainly isn't rocket science, people who are very familiar with windows and its inner workings have no problem picking out things that don't belong. As for individual programs that are written into the registry, no matter how much classroom time you have you will never know the exact files that every program writes, there are millions of programs and there are thousands of new programs every day. You recognize patterns, you don't recognize every individual program. It is a waste to have posts go unanswered in the HJT forum, I guess these people probably just attempt to do it themselves with there limited computer knowledge.

Hey Deb. I have a lot of respect for you, there aren't a lot of people who are willing to take so much time out of their life to get certified - whether they need the training or not - just so they can help others. Keep up the good work. :tup:

with regards

Back when I was clueless, and using AOL, I ran HJT and was stunned at everything it found! I thought to myself "oh my god I need to learn how to take care of my machine". I promptly selected everything that HJT showed me and removed all of it. It didn't render my machine unbootable. It worked fine (booted up faster than usual, I was happy and thought I was clean).

The only problem I noticed was that all of my custom start-up programs, IE toolbars (one of which was spyware anyways), and most of my custom settings were gone. I don't see why everyone thinks the improper use of HJT will render a system unbootable.

Edited by _TyIzaeL_

I don't see why everyone thinks the improper use of HJT will render a system unbootable.

One specific example could be this. When you "fix" an 04 entry, it merely stops it from starting and running. You then have the user manually delete the bad file. Or, to speed up your boot time, you can "fix" many certain legit 04s, without deleting the files, as you said you learned once upon a time. On the other hand, if you "fix" an 02, it deletes it and attempts to delete the accompanying .dll. Heh, HJT has many functions, including uninstall.....which CAN render your system unbootable. It can delete an NT service.....Can you imagine? :blink: There are backups, unless you have HJT in a temp folder, then if you mess up, you're SOL. My point here is if you don't know how to use it, or know what it can do, or what to tell an inexperienced user, you can totally ruin a system. The tools we use in conjunction with HJT have to be learned as well. And, you do have to learn some of the little known functions of the computer system itself. You have to learn basic reg fixes. It's not just learning the use of one small diagnostic program here. There are many aspects that go along with it.

That said, I can't do what a lot of you guys do here....WOW! Overclocking sounds cool, but I don't have the money to replace stuff I know I would fry in all my newbness. I've never dared wander into the Linux forum. I get lost in Games and Gear......and even the Custom forum loses me before I get too far. I do well to know what's on my own system, let alone all the cool toys you guys play with in there! Most of the time in U2U if I can post anything, it's a link to the outside, or to a topic one of you posted to to help another user.

I think Shogan said it right earlier......if this is something you think is easy to do, then go fly through a classroom right quick. If you're as good as you say you are,and it is that easy for you, then you'll be back here in no time posting to anyone you want in any forum you want, with no worries. :)

Thanks Dickster and Sir Munch.....you guys are a couple of the heroes I was talking about, and even more so now. :wub:

teacup has been one of the very few....wait, thinking back....she may be the only one who signed up for classes and moved up outstandingly. I'm proud to have her working on this forum with us. She knows her stuff and she knows when to ask for help (if ever needed).

Dedication to learn about the different tools used and the different malware to use them on, makes tea an experienced HJT Advisor :tup:

One specific example could be this. When you "fix" an 04 entry, it merely stops it from starting and running. You then have the user manually delete the bad file. Or, to speed up your boot time, you can "fix" many certain legit 04s, without deleting the files, as you said you learned once upon a time. On the other hand, if you "fix" an 02, it deletes it and attempts to delete the accompanying .dll. Heh, HJT has many functions, including uninstall.....which CAN render your system unbootable. It can delete an NT service.....Can you imagine? :blink: There are backups, unless you have HJT in a temp folder, then if you mess up, you're SOL. My point here is if you don't know how to use it, or know what it can do, or what to tell an inexperienced user, you can totally ruin a system. The tools we use in conjunction with HJT have to be learned as well. And, you do have to learn some of the little known functions of the computer system itself. You have to learn basic reg fixes. It's not just learning the use of one small diagnostic program here. There are many aspects that go along with it.

That said, I can't do what a lot of you guys do here....WOW! Overclocking sounds cool, but I don't have the money to replace stuff I know I would fry in all my newbness. I've never dared wander into the Linux forum. I get lost in Games and Gear......and even the Custom forum loses me before I get too far. I do well to know what's on my own system, let alone all the cool toys you guys play with in there! Most of the time in U2U if I can post anything, it's a link to the outside, or to a topic one of you posted to to help another user.

I think Shogan said it right earlier......if this is something you think is easy to do, then go fly through a classroom right quick. If you're as good as you say you are,and it is that easy for you, then you'll be back here in no time posting to anyone you want in any forum you want, with no worries. :)

Thanks Dickster and Sir Munch.....you guys are a couple of the heroes I was talking about, and even more so now. :wub:

Thats all great, I for one think it is fantastic that you took the time to learn something new. In fact more people should take the time to learn new things.

However, I do believe you people completely miss the whole point.

These you must be certified by another forum to assist in this forum, is a ludicrous requirement.

I have said it numerous times in the past.

Do you think that HJT logs are the only way to render a computer useless or unbootable?

I have said it numerous times in the past, U2U, Linux, and the overclockers forums are far more dangerous places then spyware/adware removal ever was and far more dangerous then it will ever be.

Delete an NT service can you imagine? Of course I can imagine it, I have seen it done. It wasn't the end of the world.

I have seen complete operating systems wiped out by bad advice in these forums.

I have seen monitors lliterally go up in smoke from poorly configured xorg.conf files in Linux.

I have seen very important databases wiped out, web servers wiped out............

I don't see RedHat or Novel certifications reqiured in the Linux forum.

I don't see computer engineering degrees required in the overclockers forum.

I don't see Microsoft certifications required in the U2U forum.

I don't see programing or internet technologies certificates in the web page forum.

This place started out as a great place where people helped each other because they wanted to, they did it because they may have had a similar experience, or maybe because they had a certain expertese, what is happening here detracts from and takes members away, it does not encourage them.

If you do not understand what it is I am saying, then it is a complete lost cause.

Will people make mistakes in advice they give? Of course, it happens all the time, it is how we learn from each other. It is how people get to know more about things. It is how help based "forums" function.

You have effectively removed a great number of intellegent people, with the ability to assist from that process.

We didn't sign up here, some of us 5, 6, and 7 years ago, to be told by someone with little to no computer experience other then what they learned at coyotes or a brand new member with a blue name that we have no right to help others.

It is condescending, belittling, disrespectful and an undignified way to treat the members here.

There is much to be learned by everyone, in all aspects of computing. Most of us came here for that very reason. However it seems that process just isn't available to people "here".

I'm gonna go break an ATI card in the Linux forum, Buh Bye

You've got something a little wrong here Bruce. I teach at two forums, I admin at three, I'm a member of 18....I know who is good at what they do because I follow their training.

I also decide who is at the level of Trusted HJT Advisor for this forum. They help 'mod' that forum.

The new members in light blue are just about finished in their training. They are working on what we call "live logs". They are being supervised by a teacher with the advice they are giving....they are not set free to help willy-nilly.

I'm real glad you "teach" at other forums and admin at other forums and are a member of numerous forums.

What does that have to do with "this" forum?

I am real glad that you personally know everything about everyone and based on your knowledge you pick and choose who is worthy and who is not worthy to help out here PCPitsop.

Thank you for putting us all in our proper place. ;)

I'm real glad you "teach" at other forums and admin at other forums and are a member of numerous forums.

What does that have to do with "this" forum?

I am real glad that you personally know everything about everyone and based on your knowledge you pick and choose who is worthy and who is not worthy to help out here PCPitsop.

Thank you for putting us all in our proper place. ;)

:clap::clap:

Though I have nowhere near the experience of Bruce and can't argue some of the points he is making here, I did help out a good few people in Virus' spyware and adware, but then I got an angry PM telling me I am not allowed to post fixes anymore (and this wasnt in the HJT section), that can't be productive.