Sign in to follow this  
Seldom

HJT Certified

Except that HJT can be learnt. There's no way anybody could possibly learn everything there is to know about ALL problems that show up in U2U. Of course nobody could do that with malware either, since it's always changing... but you can know enough with HJT to make yourself an 'expert.' If there was a relatively easy way to make yourself an 'expert' in everything in U2U, then there'd probably be restrictions on posts there as well.

I could walk away from computers for a year, come back and still be able to help some people with problems in U2U. No way I could do that with HJT, even if I was an expert to start off with, because it's continually changing. It's too much to keep up with, unless you're always doing them and staying on top of the latest infections.

with regards

Granted, malware wasn't as big a problem 3 years ago as it is now, but like I have said before, the training for me was incredibly easy. It was the futility that made me stop. Anyone with a basic knowledge of Windows and its accompanying services can use HJT with very little risk. In fact, with such knowledge, it's actually more dangerous to use Spybot, or Ad-Aware since they're so automated.

Also, if Champ's idea comes to be, I have VMWare Server & Windows 98 to ruin 98 moreso than it already is.

Edited by brandon

You guys with VMWare should have your own forum here and test out ways to get rid of malware. That would be a huge help! I often wish I had an extra PC laying around that I could do that with, but I don't. :(

You guys with VMWare should have your own forum here and test out ways to get rid of malware. That would be a huge help! I often wish I had an extra PC laying around that I could do that with, but I don't. :(

Admins, I think she may be on to something. ;)

Why would you need an extra PC? VMWare runs an OS inside of your OS, so no extra PC is needed, just another Windows license. ;)

Edited by brandon

You are assuming that people that build their own computers know more, people do things everyday without having a clue; infact I am going to install a car audio system in my truck just because I think I can.

Except... you probably go into that expecting that you will probably stuff it up. Someone coming here with a HJT log didn't get malware on their computer on purpose, it was probably because of their negligence. They come here, to forums, thinking they are in safe hands because they are being treated by experts. They expect to be guided properly. And they are uneducated. They are going to do whatever the first person tells them to do. And if it's bad advice, then they are stuffed. And they will likely never come back here ever again... we don't want to lost members because of that.

with regards

Admins, I think she may be on to something. ;)

Why would you need an extra PC? VMWare runs an OS inside of your OS, so no extra PC is needed, just another Windows license. ;)

I'd rather have a completely different setup, and besides, I only have 40 gigs on this one. I'd take something smaller to work with VMWare, since all I'd be doing is demolishing it anyway :lol: but I want to keep this one separate.

I'd rather have a completely different setup, and besides, I only have 40 gigs on this one. I'd take something smaller to work with VMWare, since all I'd be doing is demolishing it anyway :lol: but I want to keep this one separate.

An install of Windows 98 only takes up about 300 megs. Give it a gig of space to use, and you're set. Using VMWare will be keeping it seperate (from the OS).

Any PC with more than 2GB of space on the HD and 256MB+ RAM can run VMWare and an OS inside it. Vmware Server is free, and a Windows 98 license can't be more than $20-$30 if you look hard enough.

As to your quote "since all I'd be doing is demolishing it anyway", what's wrong with that? The only thing being harmed is the OS inside VMWare, nothing else can get damaged. The risk of learning is much higher than the risk of damaging anything, which is basically 0. It's as simple as clicking the close button on a program. ;)

Edited by brandon

As to your quote "since all I'd be doing is demolishing it anyway", what's wrong with that? The only thing being harmed is the OS inside VMWare, nothing else can get damaged. The risk of learning is much higher than the risk of damaging anything, which is basically 0. It's as simple as clicking the close button on a program. ;)

Nothing wrong with it at all, that's why I said it. :lol: I do have an old 98 in the back room, come to think of it.....now if there was a forum for it here, you guys could show me how to set it up so I could tear it up! :rofl2:

You don't need two computers to run VMware, the whole idea of vmware, is running multiple installations on one computer without each harming the other, however I am more then happy to help you out and do my part in the best way that I can. Soooooooo

Your wish is my command. Where shall I send it. :) Pentium-4 2.0 gig processor, 512 DDR ram and a 120 gig hard drive. Even toss in the a data switch so can run two computers with one monitor.

I am dead serious.

The host operating system will be one that can not be damaged by malware, and you will be able to run all the tests you want in numerous virtual machines simultanously. In fact I do believe you would be shocked to find that an operating system installs inside a virtual machine approximately 10 times faster then it does when you install it as the only operating system.

You can image the os in the virtual machine, once you get it set up and updated so a "reinstall" is a simple copy and past, click boot and a fresh OS is up and running.

Edited by Bruce

Your wish is my command. Where shall I send it. :) Pentium-4 2.0 gig processor, 512 DDR ram and a 120 gig hard drive. Even toss in the a data switch so can run two computers with one monitor.

I am dead serious.

The host operating system will be one that can not be damaged by malware, and you will be able to run all the tests you want in numerous virtual machines simultanously. In fact I do believe you would be shocked to find that an operating system installs inside a virtual machine approximately 10 times faster then it does when you install it as the only operating system.

You can image the os in the virtual machine, once you get it set up and updated so a "reinstall" is a simple copy and past, click boot and a fresh OS is up and running.

I'm with Bruce, it's far faster. I can show you how to set up & use VMWare & install an OS in it, as can alot of ther people I'm sure.

Edited by brandon

Nothing wrong with it at all, that's why I said it. :lol: I do have an old 98 in the back room, come to think of it.....now if there was a forum for it here, you guys could show me how to set it up so I could tear it up! :rofl2:

While you won't find any VMware certified assistants, the u2u forum and the Linux forum are great places to get advice setting a VMWare.

But please first see my post above. The work will all be done for you.

Sounds like a good idea. :tup: I probably wouldn't have the time myself though, at the moment. It would be interesting to have a subforum like that set up somewhere though. :)

with regards

While you won't find any VMware certified assistants, the u2u forum and the Linux forum are great places to get advice setting a VMWare.

But please first see my post above. The work will all be done for you.

Well, this is most assuredly setting myself up here. :lol: I've trusted you with my computer before Bruce, and I'd trust you with it again. ;)

Well then I will get a few of the folks here who want to contribute to HJT but don't want to do it in other ways to help with the costs of shipping.

I gave several old computers to the FAH team last year, don't see why I can't give one to the HJT folks.

In a few days I'll be getting my 3800X2 & Mobo, so I'll have a 3400+ & mobo sitting around gathering dust. Maybe I can give it to Bruce & he can do something with it.

Edited by brandon

Sounds like a good idea. :tup: I probably wouldn't have the time myself though, at the moment. It would be interesting to have a subforum like that set up somewhere though. :)

with regards

Interesting for sure. As far as HJT goes, I know a few that have used their VMs in training. Pop a certain infection on their machine, generate a log, and have the trainee fix it. No harm no foul. :) Some just fill them up with garbage to see if they can clean it. :lol: What else can you do with it?

OK considering it will be a VMware host I will bump up the ram from 512 to 1 gig. :banana2:

Also just realized it has a 160 gig hard drive with a 130 gig home partition, soooooooooo I do believe that at 4 gigs per Vmware installtion, there is ample room for about 32 windows installs in vmware. :pullhair:

Interesting for sure. As far as HJT goes, I know a few that have used their VMs in training. Pop a certain infection on their machine, generate a log, and have the trainee fix it. No harm no foul. :) Some just fill them up with garbage to see if they can clean it. :lol: What else can you do with it?

You can do anything you want with it. It is a computer operating system inside a computer operating system.

OK considering it will be a VMware host I will bump up the ram from 512 to 1 gig. :banana2:

Also just realized it has a 160 gig hard drive with a 130 gig home partition, soooooooooo I do believe that at 4 gigs per Vmware installtion, there is ample room for about 32 windows installs in vmware. :pullhair:

I'll be a monster. :yikes: My own kids will be afraid. :lol: My husband will be :pullhair: Sounds like fun. :rolleyes:

Well then I will get a few of the folks here who want to contribute to HJT but don't want to do it in other ways to help with the costs of shipping.

I gave several old computers to the FAH team last year, don't see why I can't give one to the HJT folks.

You can put me down for the shipping maybe that would be a great tool and help to establish some kind of training program here, even if it's not certified.

OK considering it will be a VMware host I will bump up the ram from 512 to 1 gig.

Good I idea have a machine that has only 512 on it and trying to run VM on it is painfully slow throw into the fact that once it is infected its even slower, cleaning up process gets interesting running the likes of Ewido set it up at night and let it run might be done by the time you wake up in the morning :blink:

I m one of those who infects the machine for training purposes I have another machine that I use for just that an old computer someone was tossing out just enough mem to support XP but it does the job,

Even toss in the a data switch so can run two computers with one monitor.

I have been curious about this care to expand on it a bit ?

I get tired walking from the different machines :mrgreen:

Ewido won't run on 98....so that's out :P

I think a VMware forum would be a wonderful idea.....I've posted the question in the Boardroom.

Folks need to remeber there is a huge difference between a VMWare server and a vmware player.

The vmware player is slow and not nearly as full featured as vmware server.

I am talking about a vmware server machine that will do a complete full install of any operating system the person has, that includes everything from dos right through every version of windows made to date, and possibly even Vista.

I will test a Vista install as soon as I have everything ready.

vmware player is indeed very limited I m using virutal PC well I was

Ewido won't run on 98....so that's out

Yep Im running XP on the test machine and was running XP on the virtualpc,

Had an old machine that had ME on it ( come on now no laughing)

Can't tell you how many times I had trainees having me run Ewido and a few other programs that will only run on 2k or XP

don't see very many 98 machines in the HJT log sections but always good to have around just the same ;)

I administrate one of those 'other' forums spoken of herein. We too do not allow any replies to HJT posts except by a trained and qualified person. Sounds uppity?

I see quite a bit of bitterness in this thread from many people who no doubt have great knowledge, yet do not own a completed course to their name. As an administrator, I must insure that my site, my forums, do not do harm to the community at large. How best to do that? By warning and scaring the public with disclaimers? Or offering them the best option we have available, a trained volunteer staff to assist them?

Issues can be argued to the tune of 29+ forum pages, but it still comes down to "I am responsible. I have to decide".

What I truely would like to see, is a committee developed from the several fine sites which provide free assistance to the public in removing malware from their computers, join up under the umbrella of ASAP and develop a Universal Final Exam to be passed by trainees.

Now isn't that worth taking forward?

Tom