Sign in to follow this  
Seldom

HJT Certified

don't tell anyone else, but i think lou is going to end up in the hospital dying next episode. :shifty:

:yikes:

There is no I in Team.

I realize this has become quite heated and both sides have excellent points. But before the HJT Trusted Advisers and Jacee in particular are strung up, I would like to point out that there are 3960 threads in the HJT section and Jacee has 3977 posts in that section the next top 3 posters combined have 3174 posts. Jacee has a right I believe to be protective of the forum as she has always been the backbone of it and deserves our appreciation rather than ridicule.

Next point is that Bruce also has a strong case and as I have seen in his post is very familiar with the workings of MS Windows, and is a most qualified adviser to any computing problems. I fail to see why the HJT training is protected as if they were state secrets and with as many HJT advisors we have on the rolls here why an attempt to work out some in house training and or certification cannot be worked out.

We all joined the same Pitstop and continue to come back here. We are like family and occasionally fight like family.

By the Way, there is an I in family.

OK seems like an impasse with the two camps. Here's another idea that will fly like a lead balloon.

Let people post HJT logs in user to user if they are inclined and do not specifically want Certified HJT analyst to look at them.

This is just an idea as neither side seems to be reaching out to the other.

We need to do better we are better people than that, intelligent people can communicate and work out their differences. It's that, Status Quo or :

Personally I think there is no better group of folks than these found here. We can all learn from anyone. The only ones that can't learn are those who know everything they have already closed their mind. But no matter how uneducated someone is, their life experience has taught them something you do not know, you can learn from them. There are no people without value.

I think we owe it to the Pitstop, Dave and Chengrob to stop beating each other up and name calling and work together to resolve what has become a divisive issue here.

I was sorry to see that nothing was resolved on this topic today. I didn't see any softening on either side of this argument.

I will probably be strung up myself trying to get in the middle of this and both sides will unite to pull the rope. :P

Since none of my ideas generated any support and being as hard headed as I am about seeing the infighting end, I have another though for your consideration to bring peace among pitstop membership. Since people from here have to go somewhere else for training and we are recruiting and dragging folks from their home forum to help here. What if we just closed HJT and let folks looking for help with HJT go to the other forums that specialize in that and train people. I admit this is the least attractive of any solutions. But you have to ask yourself what do you want to see happen. Is there any room for give and take on either side of this heated argument.

BTW: I just can't imagine a stampede of members going over to read HJT logs. :yucky:

Edited by Lou

I was sorry to see that nothing was resolved on this topic today. I didn't see any softening on either side of this argument.

I will probably be strung up myself trying to get in the middle of this and both sides will unite to pull the rope. :P

Since none of my ideas generated any support and being as hard headed as I am about seeing the infighting end, I have another though for your consideration to bring peace among pitstop membership. Since people from here have to go somewhere else for training and we are recruiting and dragging folks from their home forum to help here. What if we just closed HJT and let folks looking for help with HJT go to the other forums that specialize in that and train people. I admit this is the least attractive of any solutions. But you have to ask yourself what do you want to see happen. Is there any room for give and take on either side of this heated argument.

BTW: I just can't imagine a stampede of members going over to read HJT logs. :yucky:

I like all of your ideas, at least you are coming up with ideas. I still like my idea of having HJT forum open to everyone for a week on a test run, but I don't think that got any consideration.

I've never seen any of you try to help in that forum.

Were or at least I am afraid to help there because the issues there can cross into the domain of malware removal and fixes. 90%of those posts need HJT assistance ie we cant (according to the rules) help and try to fix thier problem.

For example this post

http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?showtopic=123243

Became this

http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?showtopic=123249

Maybe if more members helped out in the virus forum then there wouldn't be the need for so many folks having to run the HJT prog ... it's meant to be used as a last resort.

They are here as a "last" resort before they come and see people like me and have to PAY to get thier computer fixed.

Edited by PORTHOS

Maybe if you offered your own infested machines up for testing in an "open HJT" forum, we might get somewhere. :mrgreen:

with regards

I had gotten spyware quake on my computer, it took me a whole 2 minutes and now it is all gone; why would I sit on an infected computer when I have the means to fix it myself :)

Where is the help by all you who are against the 'HJT certified' advisor's forum?

Viruses, Spyware, Adware

http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?showforum=9

I've never seen any of you try to help in that forum. You just simply don't like the fact that you are not allowed to post in the HJT forum? :rolleyes:

I assumed the scope of the HJT Advisors extended to that section of the forum also, from previous suspensions I did not want to have another unpleasant experience :surrender:

*edited because of very poor judgement in the selection of my words*

Edited by Salo35

I assumed the HJT Nazi's would suspend me again :surrender:

I don't really care to see that word used so lightly. We are talking about computer viruses here, not a human virus that killed millions of people.

Maybe if more members helped out in the virus forum then there wouldn't be the need for so many folks having to run the HJT prog ... it's meant to be used as a last resort.

I had gotten spyware quake on my computer, it took me a whole 2 minutes and now it is all gone; why would I sit on an infected computer when I have the means to fix it myself

Would you go to the HJT forums and post a log on an infected computer, if you didn't have any idea how to fix it, if anyone was allowed to post there? Would you feel comfortable letting just anybody tell you what to do? OK, maybe it's a little easier because you know enough about computers to be able to tell you who's giving you good advice and who's not, but a person new to computers would not.

with regards

Edited by Champion_Munch

Would you go to the HJT forums and post a log on an infected computer, if you didn't have any idea how to fix it, if anyone was allowed to post there? Would you feel comfortable letting just anybody tell you what to do? OK, maybe it's a little easier because you know enough about computers to be able to tell you who's giving you good advice and who's not, but a person new to computers would not.

with regards

I would post a log, for sure...I'd also be a little discouraged if someone couldn't suggest something, I wouldn't expect help, but hope for it at least. You'll get screwed in alot of areas of your life if you trust everything you read; with that being said, I'd expect the members at this forum to give advice at the best of their knowledge. We all learn because we trust what we hear is correct, without help I received in U2U and OC my computer would be screwed and I wouldn't know a darn thing. With that being said, I didn't know much at the time, yet everyone that gave me advice was professional and helped me within the bounds of their knowledge, despite not neccesarily being trained. No one took advantage of my lack of experience and told me to take my heatsink off and run it like that, I would expect a similar level of trust if the HJT became an open forum.

I trusted alot of these fine members with my computer, I could have easily fried my computer OCing or shorted my video card putting on thermal paste; but instead the great members in these forums walked me through the steps encompassed in these situations and it all worked out well.

it's a little easier because you know enough about computers to be able to tell you who's giving you good advice and who's not, but a person new to computers would not.

This is definately true...I have received some not-so-good advice from a member or two at this forum, from my experience someone with more knowledge has stepped in and suggested something more feasible, which is appreciated.

I once made a mistake ;) I learned from that one mistake (;)) and it did not happen again; it is part of being human

Edited by Salo35

The question still goes entirely un-answered. There have not been any answers except "get over it".

Why is the HJT forum open only to select members?

Where is the help by all you who are against the 'HJT certified' advisor's forum?

Viruses, Spyware, Adware

http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?showforum=9

I've never seen any of you try to help in that forum. You just simply don't like the fact that you are not allowed to post in the HJT forum? :rolleyes:

I must admit that I am no longer a frequent visitor to that part of the site; however, I do have a number of posts in that forum where I have attempted to help people. My last post in that part of the forum stated that I was not allowed to help, so I am guessing that a year and a half ago when I last posted there was something that made me feel like I was no longer welcome to post there anymore. Being a creature of habit I guess I have stayed away ever since, I just figured that since it is so closely related to the HJT section that I should no longer post there... afterall there is alot of spillover from the HJT forum into the viruses forum and surely if I am not qualified to post in the subforum then I certainly am not qualified to help in the main forum.

We all learn because we trust what we hear is correct, without help I received in U2U and OC my computer would be screwed and I wouldn't know a darn thing.

Same here. :tup: I pretty much blame all my computer knowledge on this place. :P

But... HijackThis requires certain procedures that have to be taken in a particular order. Not to say that some of the stuff in OC and U2U doesn't, but it is especially important with HJT. Most people who have never used HJT before, would just tell the person to go disable blah blah or remove blah blah. Of course there are users here who know what they are doing, and could help properly. But there are so many people who couldn't, that would sign up and just come along and help without knowing properly what HJT is. You couldn't moderate that.

with regards

Yep...

What I meant by that was this. If you build a computer, you need to do it in a certain order. Overclocking hardware needs to be done in a VERY particular way. Installing a patch, or removing a file, or editing a file needs to be done in a certain way, in certain steps. What I, and a lot of people are saying here is that...

It is all the same.

Yep...

What I meant by that was this. If you build a computer, you need to do it in a certain order. Overclocking hardware needs to be done in a VERY particular way. Installing a patch, or removing a file, or editing a file needs to be done in a certain way, in certain steps. What I, and a lot of people are saying here is that...

It is all the same.

that is very true, you can damage or destroy potentially thousands of dollars worth of equipment if it done incorrectly

Edited by Salo35

Yeah Bill, I made the machine I'm using now. :)

But... the difference is, people who are going to make their own computer are going to know a fair bit more about computers than those who are trying to clean their computer up (which is why their computer was filled with malware in the first place :P).

Because they don't necessarily know a lot about computers, they won't be so certain what advice is good and what is coming from someone with no experience. I don't think there would be many people with very little computing experience who are going to build their own computer.

with regards

But... the difference is, people who are going to make their own computer are going to know a fair bit more about computers than those who are trying to clean their computer up (which is why their computer was filled with malware in the first place :P).

Because they don't necessarily know a lot about computers, they won't be so certain what advice is good and what is coming from someone with no experience. I don't think there would be many people with very little computing experience who are going to build their own computer.

with regards

Unfortunately, people in general don't have common sense. Trust me, they do build em and they shouldn't

Edited by Salo35

with regards

Then I can just use U2U as an example.

It is ALL the same.

with regards

You are assuming that people that build their own computers know more, people do things everyday without having a clue; infact I am going to install a car audio system in my truck just because I think I can.

I had gotten spyware quake on my computer, it took me a whole 2 minutes and now it is all gone; why would I sit on an infected computer when I have the means to fix it myself :)

I'd be up for that. In fact, now that VMWare Server is free, that makes something such as what you suggested even easier. I have a Windows 98 CD & COA sitting around in my room that hasn't been used in a while, so I could infect the crap outta 98 and see if it can get solved.

Since people from here have to go somewhere else for training and we are recruiting and dragging folks from their home forum to help here.

Hi Lou :adios:

This was my home first. I went out for training and came back. I was here every day, just like I am now. Nobody had to drag me anywhere. ;) If I can do it, so can the others that want to help with HJT. :) There is another who is doing the same, and hopefully she'll be done soon as well.

Then I can just use U2U as an example.

It is ALL the same.

Except that HJT can be learnt. There's no way anybody could possibly learn everything there is to know about ALL problems that show up in U2U. Of course nobody could do that with malware either, since it's always changing... but you can know enough with HJT to make yourself an 'expert.' If there was a relatively easy way to make yourself an 'expert' in everything in U2U, then there'd probably be restrictions on posts there as well.

I could walk away from computers for a year, come back and still be able to help some people with problems in U2U. No way I could do that with HJT, even if I was an expert to start off with, because it's continually changing. It's too much to keep up with, unless you're always doing them and staying on top of the latest infections.

with regards