Sign in to follow this  
Seldom

HJT Certified

There is nothing wrong with HJT, or that section of this forum. The problem is the way it is being run. Very poorly in my opinion, and obviously many others feel the same way.

I respectfully disagree. Is there a better way, I don't know. However, based on the restrictions and rules that are in place now I have seen more get better help than previously experienced when logs were posted "willy-nilly" in several different forums.

The utility is a tool. We are fortunate to have members that can dissect the readings from the tool.

:)Y

that's good. it's quite obvious, however, that these rules and restrictions are limiting you from improving it to a point where there aren't half a dozen hjt logs that are a month old that still haven't been answered.

just because you see that it's better now than it was does not mean that you have perfected it. based upon your response, it seems that you feel it's been prefected.

Absolutely correct. A great reason for us to continue this dialog. A very necessary thread.

:)Y

Hope I m not talking out of school here being a "newbie" here,

I read through this topic and I must say my head is spinning I m trying to fully understand what the overall problem is ?

I don't want to debate whether or not HJT is a dangerous tool or not and if used improperly can cause serious issues to someones computer even leave it inoperable. I saw some comments its really not that dangerous and whats the worst it could cause ? I m not quoting people here but just reflecting back on what I read,

Comments such as those will do nothing but drive people away from here looking for help, wouldn't you don't you want to have people come here knowing they are not just rolling the dice and may get their computer fixed or not ?

Isn't the end result quality help ?

There is a training program ( and I really don't want to get into that discussion of whether you need training or not) and trainees are being supervised from another forum, So first point to this, you have a trainee being supervised by an expert taking on logs here at the pit, IMO that's quality help is it not ?

Second point to that does one thing for a minute and ask why are they doing it here ? well the forum that they call " home" where they are training seems they don't have enough activity in their own forum to do this in house, so wouldn't you think that if the trainee is doing logs here under supervision until he or she has completed their training and is ready to go off on their own and take on logs by themselves wouldn't you think they would be grateful to the pit for opening up their arms and allowing them the chance to get their training done ?

The pit is now a second home to them and if the HJT section here gets really busy then my bet is they will be here and helping out as much as possible, keeping in mind the fact that their "home" forum doesn't have an issue with keeping up with logs, They want to do logs they will come here to do them,

I have been doing HJT logs for quite a few years and I can remember back when I first started logs were pretty simple and most could figure them out in a hurry, A simple run of Ad-aware and spybot, throw in a run of shredder, fix a couple lines with HJT and delete a few files and maybe a couple folders and the user was on their way, NOTE I did say years ago, Most of you know what we are dealing with today and it isn't that simple anymore, If you allow members who have not had some type of training in malware removal

( notice I didn't say HJT training, because its a lot more then that today, HJT is a malware fighters best weapon it shows us things we need to see, not all things but most and when its not showing us something we have other tools to be used, simply seeing a HJT log and nothing staring you in the face and telling a user he is good to go is not providing quality help in fact at times it is dangerous with all the scams keyloggers and the whole lot of it, Good job you didn't blow up someones computer but you told them they were clean and they had a back door trojan ad keylogger on their system and someone just cleaned out their bank account, Please blow up my computer and leave my bank account alone )

Back to the point at hand

If you allow just anybody to start replying to topics in the malware forum you will be opening up the gates to anyone and everyone who thinks they know what they are doing and I m not saying that there aren't those who haven't done training at one of the many schools out there don't know what their doing in fact I m sure there are quite a few but without the training schools how do you know ?

Trust me the ones who are dangerous will be the ones replying to every log they can and providing little help if any giving bad or dangerous advise, Now that becomes a management nightmare

By the way I m very handsome and very wealthy,, am I ? how do you know ? why cause I told you so well you should believe me because I never lie or stretch the truth just a wee bit ;)

In comparison the HJT forum here is no different then others they get back logged and they always will,

I went through a bunch of topics last night and to be honest I was on page 3 of the HJT logs and 4 or 5 had zero replies 2 of those were topics that the user posted the same problem almost at the same time as posting here at another forum, The other 3 or so were topics posted the user left after posting it and has yet to return,

Not to single you out Bruce but this comment was closest so I grabbed it ( besides you can't be all bad you live in a very nice state :P )

There is nothing wrong with HJT, or that section of this forum. The problem is the way it is being run. Very poorly in my opinion, and obviously many others feel the same way.

I am active at a few forums and again without the long term membership here I don't see it being run any differently then any other malware forum which all seem to run quite nicely,

Enjoy

Don

I could be wrong too, but I don't see anything wrong at all with asking for a Pit test, or a Panda scan here if they haven't already. Sometimes uninstalling the bad stuff you see in the installed software list is enough to help. Or, if they're just complaining of a slow computer, they can uninstall/disable 4 of the 5 AVs they have running!

Deb... when people post logs in Virus or U2U or somewhere where they gotta move them first, I used to suggest things like moving HJT out of the temporary folder, run a pit test, tell them to remove an AV if they have several at once etc, along with telling them to post it in the correct HJT forum for proper analysis. But I was told to not step in a couple of times (can't remember who exactly) because of some advice I gave that was along those lines - even though I was told the advice I gave was good. So now I just refer them to the correct place to post HJT logs. :)

with regards

I think I remember that CM, because it was in the thread.

It seems that as soon as a new malware is discovered, everyone is a little jumpy about non HJT Trusted Advisors offering any kind of help because it might make the fix harder to accomplish. I always tell them to post a link to the current topic and to describe what is specifically wrong when I have to send them to the HJT Forum.

why don't you click on the unanswered posts link and count up how many of them are in hjt.

then count up the u2u total....

1,560 in U2U

375 in HJT

And that's not including god knows how many people who never came back with their responses, plus the people who posted in several forums...

with regards

I don't see a problem with the way all our other sectons of this forum are run. It ran just fine for years and years that way. Haven't seen a single thing you said that differs from the other sections of this forum.

Things change on a regular basis, some faster then others, we adapt, progress and get on with the business of helping people, we trip, stumble, and make mistakes along the way, and things move along nicely without someone telling us what we can say and what we can't or how to say it, and how not to say it.

There are people here who are interested in helping, they should be alowed to do so, and like any other section of the forums, if and or when they give a bad piece of advice a different view is offered, and often many different methods of achieving the goal are posted.

I could right now post some very common files from the OS of my choice that are edited on a regular basis. One mistake and I am talking just a capital letter being used rather then lower case letter, and the sytem becomes unbootble, or the graphical interface just goes away, or whole directories and system files can be wiped with a two letter command........all of them can be easily repaired by som eone who knows what they are doing except of course the deletion of whole directories. But for a newcomer who is not familair with the system and used to other systems, just assumes all is lost. My point is you folks act as though you do the only thing there is that has the potential to be dangerous to a system :lol:

I fully understand that there are hazards with malware removal, but to be totally honest, they are minor compared to many others I have seen. Yet somehow we all seem to manage and get by just fine, without a school marm standing us in a corner for speaking out of turn. ;)

Edited by Bruce

I think I remember that CM, because it was in the thread.

I hope you're not thinking of a post or two I made about a year ago in the HJT section... yikes that was embarressing. :blushing: I got told off then, but with good reason. :mrgreen:

EDIT: I'd just like to know why we can't just tell them to take HJT out of the temporary folder, and simple stuff like that, while referring them to the correct forum.

with regards

Edited by Champion_Munch

Deb... when people post logs in Virus or U2U or somewhere where they gotta move them first, I used to suggest things like moving HJT out of the temporary folder, run a pit test, tell them to remove an AV if they have several at once etc, along with telling them to post it in the correct HJT forum for proper analysis. But I was told to not step in a couple of times (can't remember who exactly) because of some advice I gave that was along those lines - even though I was told the advice I gave was good. So now I just refer them to the correct place to post HJT logs. :)

with regards

Right.....I was really referring to topics without logs in them, but with obviously something wrong like a specific virus mentioned, or slowness, etc......I think I mentioned before I got my hand smacked before I went to training for stepping in too. :blushing: I didn't mean to imply otherwise. :adios:

1,560 in U2U

375 in HJT

And that's not including god knows how many people who never came back with their responses, plus the people who posted in several forums...

with regards

3000+ topics in HJT

35,000+ topics in U2U

The ratio is significant

Add in the difference in time the two have been in existance and it's even worse, considering U2U has been around since the very beggining of this site.

It is not HJT bashing.

There is nothing wrong with HJT at all, in fact it is a great tool, and the section devoted to it here is an outstandiong addition to these forums.

I too think it is great that there are a bunch of blue mebers, I just wish they actually did something.

There are a very small number that are actually doing anything. To those few I give a huge thimbs up, they work hard at what they do. :tup:

The problem with bringing folks from outside this forum is they don't have an interest here, they likely belong to another forum somewhere else and that is where they do their thing. Having 40 "Trusted Advsors" is useless if only 4 of them are active.

Well I don't normally yak back at my elders Bruce..but your way out of line...

That hjt forum is very well run...tightly run yes..but we have our reasons for that..and you know damn well what they are and why we have to do it...so all you folks who see too slow..well go get educated..otherwise you won't be posting in that forum period...

Thanks for the feedback tho..kinda.. :lol: v

My bad. :blushing: I thought you were talking about topics in Virus/U2U that needed to be posted elsewhere. Even with all the headlines around people find the wrong place to post in.

with regards

Right you are Bruce and BB :mrgreen:, but...

in hjt, 375 out of 3955. that's about 10%.

1 out of every 10 threads asking for help in hjt simply go unanswered...

It's more like 8% if you add in the "solved HJT threads" as well. Still worse than U2U, but nothing close to what I would have imagined from your bantering.

with regards

that's not including the solved logs, which are put into a separate forum.

:blink: How can you still arrive at 10%, including the several hundred solved logs the percentage becomes lower.

with regards

Even with all the headlines around people find the wrong place to post in.

with regards

It almost seems to be instinct sometimes. :lol:

Now we're fools? :blink::(

Nope, you are going to have to excuse the numerous typos and misspelling in the last couple posts, I was using a new wireless keyboard in my living room in front of the television. :lol:

I am now back at my desk and will fix that post, it is full of typos, missing letter and few where they shouldn't be.

I was just typing away and not looking to see what was appearing on the screen :blushing:

Edited by Bruce

375 posts unanswered... 4,485 posts all up... I get 8%. :P

with regards

3,955 Topics--- 375 posts unanswered. Just about 9%

35,710 Topics----- 1,560 posts unanswered. Just about 4 %

It's been around 1/4 the amount of time u2u has and has double the unanswered posts.

If you add the time into the equation, the numbers for u2u drop drastically.

Well it looks like everyone had their say...but the tough rules will stay as they are.

Anyone has something worth adding..we will be glad to reopen this one..

Just contact a mod and we'll see you get posted..thanks.. :) v

Nope, you are going to have to excuse the numerous typos and misspelling in the last couple posts, I was using a new wireless keyboard in my living room in front of the television. :lol:

I am now back at my desk and will fix that post, it is full of typos, missing letter and few where they shouldn't be.

I was just typing away and not looking to see what was appearing on the screen :blushing:

Okay, excused. :) You're lucky! All my stuff is attached.....but then again maybe that's best. I can't see myself carrying a keyboard around the house in a hip holster for handy use while I'm doing the laundry. :blink::lol:

Okay, excused. :) You're lucky! All my stuff is attached.....but then again maybe that's best. I can't see myself carrying a keyboard around the house in a hip holster for handy use while I'm doing the laundry. :blink::lol:

I am adding computer with a display built into the dash to my car in the very near future. :blushing:

Anyways, I have been thinking of ways we might be able to improve the process of getting members from "PcPitStop" certified without going anywhere other then here. There are obviously a number of people who have shown interest, but were totally put off by the other forums.

With all the bright people here, I simply can't imagine that a solution acceptable to "almost" everyone can't be worked out.

From messages I have received from others, they also think it can be done.

From another thread...

It is a refreshing change from the usual silliness that is in GD.

I couldn't agree more. :tup: Now that all the good talk is over in PD, GD has become pretty boring really. I hate discussing politics, but something like this is good. I would enjoy GD far more if there were topics like this more often. :)

3,955 Topics--- 375 posts unanswered. Just about 9%

You're not including all the posts in the solved HJT forum. Include them and it's around 8%.

with regards

From another thread...

I couldn't agree more. :tup: Now that all the good talk is over in PD, GD has become pretty boring really. I hate discussing politics, but something like this is good. I would enjoy GD far more if there were topics like this more often. :)

You're not including all the posts in the solved HJT forum. Include them and it's around 8%.

with regards

Or the duplicates....lots of those.

I do believe the administrators here should take these posts VERY, VERY seriously. This is a big thing here. It's not like the pit to do the "if you don't like it, leave" thing.

It just does not make sense to me.