Sign in to follow this  
Seldom

HJT Certified

By the Way, there is an I in family.

In fact he was here just yesterday. :laughing:

That's not our decision to make. And while Bruce may be qualified, there are probably dozens of members here who think they are qualified to help with HJT logs, when they are not. Members who have been for a long time, maybe with lots of experience in other areas. I don't think it would go down well, telling them to go away while letting Bruce do what he wants. After all, everyone should be treated equally, right? :)

with regards

I know that this has been said already but I wanted to add that the training it is not in anyway easy.

Just a suggestion and only my opinion but I have never understood why the Pit has never set up a sort of mentor program for the Anti-Spyware Brigade. That way everyone would be able to know what is safe advice and what needs to be sent to HJT. I remember times where the person was sent to HJT only to be sent back to u2u.

.......but there are still unanswered posts in HJT

If you look at those more closely, or with a trained eye, you'd see that a great portion of those unanswered logs are either dupes or non malware related. I answered a couple of those just tonight. :)

Is there some reason they can not help each other "out in the open" so that everyone can learn from their knowledge and expertise?

Actually there is. The more out in the open discussions on how malware behaves, what tools work on which infection, the easier it is for the malware writers and script kiddies to circumvent the fixes. There are tools that we're asked not to use except as a last resort so the bad guys have less chance of getting around it.

If you look at those more closely, or with a trained eye, you'd see that a great portion of those unanswered logs are either dupes or non malware related. I answered a couple of those just tonight. :)

Actually there is. The more out in the open discussions on how malware behaves, what tools work on which infection, the easier it is for the malware writers and script kiddies to circumvent the fixes. There are tools that we're asked not to use except as a last resort so the bad guys have less chance of getting around it.

If someone is experienced enough, they can easily get around just about any spyware protection. Just look at rootkits. When is the last time you've seen one that didn't require a complete reformat, because very few tools can do anything but detect it?

Besides, what if that "last resort" comes to be, and a malware writer just so happens to see the "last resort" and circumvent it?

Instead of relying on HJT, Spybot, Ewido, Ad-Aware, and the many other tools out there to fix problems, why not prevent them? RayG's thread can certainly help prevent almost all problems with Viruses or spyware. Common sense is far better than posting a fix. ;)

BTW, FaithMichelle, training is rather easy. In 2003, I was in training at the TomCoyote forums. The admin of the Spybot forums himself recommended me for "training". Then I lost interest, because I realized that fixing spyware is a futile and useless battle when it can easily be prevented.

I have noticed that many times the post is answered and the person never replies back again.

The mentor program could be a private forum. The only reason that I mentioned it is because when someone is critisized for the advice given in the Viruses, Spyware, Adware forum it seems to me that everyone offers HJT as the first step when it shouldn't be that way. Plus, there are so many changes (ie. what online virus scanners work) that what was a good option 6 months ago could very well be obsolete today.

Instead of relying on HJT, Spybot, Ewido, Ad-Aware, and the many other tools out there to fix problems, why not prevent them? RayG's thread can certainly help prevent almost all problems with Viruses or spyware. Common sense is far better than posting a fix. wink.gif

Here here! :clap: I'm sure when you did the training that you did do, you learned that we do try to teach prevention. We can't force users to listen, or apply the knowledge we've tried to pass on. I did listen.......to Bruce! ;) But that was prevention, not removal. You're right about the newer malware......sometimes we have to suggest a reformat. :mrsgreen:

If someone is experienced enough, they can easily get around just about any spyware protection. Just look at rootkits. When is the last time you've seen one that didn't require a complete reformat, because very few tools can do anything but detect it?

Besides, what if that "last resort" comes to be, and a malware writer just so happens to see the "last resort" and circumvent it?

Instead of relying on HJT, Spybot, Ewido, Ad-Aware, and the many other tools out there to fix problems, why not prevent them? RayG's thread can certainly help prevent almost all problems with Viruses or spyware. Common sense is far better than posting a fix. ;)

BTW, FaithMichelle, training is rather easy. In 2003, I was in training at the TomCoyote forums. The admin of the Spybot forums himself recommended me for "training". Then I lost interest, because I realized that fixing spyware is a futile and useless battle when it can easily be prevented.

I agree and strongly believe in prevention but there are better ways to advise someone not to use Windows or IE. We can't make anyone do anything that they don't want to do. Eventually they will learn prevention. I'm glad you found the training easy but I didn't because the amount of undistracted time needed was not easily found for me. I have a high respect for any HJT Trusted Advisor because even strong learners do not make it through the training.

I agree and strongly believe in prevention but there are better ways to advise someone not to use Windows or IE. We can't make anyone do anything that they don't want to do. Eventually they will learn prevention. I'm glad you found the training easy but I didn't because the amount of undistracted time needed was not easily found for me. I have a high respect for any HJT Trusted Advisor because even strong learners do not make it through the training.

Faith: I didn't say anybody had to switch from Windows or IE. If you get a popup blocker, disable activex, get an anti-spyware program, download spyware blaster, download a firewall, set IE to its highest security settings, and use it on sites you know are safe, it's as safe as any other browser. I was very close to graduating the class, and I found time easily, because I know Windows well, and HJT was easy for me.

Teacup: I did my training over 3 years ago, and I don't recall learning how to prevent malware infections. I do however recall using HJT, clicking on things, and sometimes doing a hail mary hoping nothing messed up when I first started learning. I learned what not to do by fixing other people's computers, so in a way I did learn how to prevent this sort of thing, but not in the manner I had hoped.

Edited by brandon

Yes, I was replying to you because prevention is the key. No, I was trying to speak generally about anti-Windows/IE views. Sorry that it was misinterpreted. :blushing:

'Tis alright. It's kinda creepy though how you posted about not using IE right before I was about to... :yikes:

Yes, prevention is the best way to get around malware. But people aren't going to care/learn until they get hit with it and it affects them - they actually have to do some work to get things running good again. Sometimes even then it won't make them do anything, but it helps to get the knowledge out. Unfortunately, as long as they can still play WoW for long enough to pick axe another orc king, they're not going to really care if their machine is infected or not. :(

with regards

'Tis alright. It's kinda creepy though how you posted about not using IE right before I was about to...

That's not really surprising, I bet you haven't gone a day without mentioning ditching IE. :mrgreen:

with regards

That's not really surprising, I bet you haven't gone a day without mentioning ditching IE. :mrgreen:

with regards

You....... You.............. *points finger*

*Walks away*

Hmmm. What have we here?

If this would have been the first thread I read on this forum I would have turned around straight away.

I still might, in case you want to bring up my postcount, it could still be at 1 next year since my time is limited and I find it too precious to waste.

The discussion, although hard to follow is interesting, but got started a few years too late.

Even in the very beginning when HijackThis was used on SpywareInfo where Merijn posted, there were unwritten rules not to jump in on someone else's thread uninvited and let new malware be handled by the experts.

Unfortunately HijackThis became so pouplar and malware so divers that the small gang of experts couldn't keep up and neither could the anti-spyware industry.

Imagine if they could and you could just say: use Spybot and AdAware and aqll your worries are history. You can go out and get re-infected, see you later.

So initiatives were taken to train interested people in dealing with logs.

And some people started helping unsupervised on other forums, like Radio did here and I did elsewhere.

Only to find out that at one point we couldn't cope with the number of logs anymore and needed help.

Trained help

As I see it you have two options: show you are really interested and get training.

After doing this successfully you will be accepted at a great number of boards.

Or show that you can do it all by yourself. There are plenty of boards where you can start posting straight away (even a few respected ones) or you can start your own (as many have tried).

But I do not think it is feasible to talk any of the big boards (that have a name to live up to) into changing their rules according to your wishes.

Regards,

Pieter

Someone earlier posted that HJT is a specific tool with specific training, a dangerous oneif in the wrong hands.

Sounds a bit like cmd.exe really.

-Tito.

I think I also saw someone that was under the impression that the max. damage would be $ 1000 or a new OS.

Reconsider the consequences if someone would miss a Banker trojan in a log or has fallen for a phishing scam.

There are so many ways you can make yourselves usefull and be a help.

If you don't like training elsewhere, it might be advisable to think about ways to expand the program here rather then opening the section for untrained helpers.

Hmmm. What have we here?

If this would have been the first thread I read on this forum I would have turned around straight away.

Regards,

Pieter

Thats too bad, because it is in fact threads such as these that prompt people to get interested in things.

There is nothing like a good discussion to spark interest, nothing like a good discussion to get people involved, and nothing like a good discussion to make people seek out information, and to possibly try new things. In fact it was a couple discussions like this one that got a couple of our members interested in HJT in this place.

You see my intentions are not to discredit anyone, my intentions are to try and get our own members involved, but to keep that involvement right here at PcPiStop.

Personally I could care less if someone has 4000 or 40,000 posts at another forum, because as long as their post count here stands at 5 for the past 9 months, then their post count elsewhere is meaningless.

Such an individual may be a well respected member of another forum, that is a fantastic thing for the other forum, but it does nothing for this forum.

My Uncle is an incredible Mechanic, and an even better auto body mechanic, but you see when I get up in the morning, if my car won't start, my Uncle is of no good use to me, because he lives 400 miles away, so he won't "here" when I need him.

So I go to the "local" mechanic, because he is close by and available when needed.

You see when people have a problem and come here for help, the fact that we have numerous unavailable certified people does nothing for us here. There 38 trusted advisor's, about 4 of them are actually active here at this forum.

That is because people are dragged in here simply because they are trusted somewhere else, well the sad fact of the matter is, they are probably active somewhere else and had no interest in this place in the first place. I don't blame them for not being interested in this forum, as their interests probably lay elsewhere, and that is where they go to help folks. More power to them.

I contend that we would do much better, and serve this forum much better by working with our own members to help them understand and work with HJT. They are interested in this forum, and are likely to stay right here and help other members here.

As far as changing the way things are done. Well I think it is needed and necessary step that has to be taken. Out in the open is the best way, always has been and always will be. It promotes trust, and confidence.

As for the "last resort" tools that are hidden from people, I do not and never will agree with such security models, the best security models in the industry have been proven to be the open models, however that is a philosophical debate best kept out of this topic.

I would however love to discuss it in another topic if someone is interested debating the two models. :tup:

Addition.......... Metalica

The very fact that your only posts here at the pit are in this thread is proof that such threads spark peoples interest, and that these discussions grab peoples attention.

Such discussions are a good thing, a healthy thing, and the way that forums work best. ;)

Such discussions are a good thing, a healthy thing, and the way that forums work best.

Couldn't agree more. I've never seen so many people in GD at this time before. :mrgreen:

with regards