Sign in to follow this  
Seldom

HJT Certified

I think it would be far better to help the folks here learn it, rather then to bring in people from other forums who have no interest in sticking around.

If I had no interest I wouldn't be posting to your tunnel vision responses.

A perfect example of what I am talking about is rstones12. This trusted advisor has been a member for a year, has only posted 5 times in the spyware forum this year.

That is no reflection on that individuals expertise, only a reflection on the commitment they have to this forum.

Real life commitments and other forums I participate in take up alot of my time, its not about quantity it all about quality.

Helping our own members right here to learn about it, will get knowledgable and committed members of PcPitStop interested, when you do that, the forum benefits more then any other way of doing it.

Again, since there is nothing setup right now, how would you propose a solution and are you willing to provide your time and resources to do this??

Its all about sharing knowledge between everybody, it doesn't matter where you post most often or how long you have been on a forum. People come to this forum for help, as they do many other forums if I didn't feel the need to help out and give back what I have learned from many others I would find something else to do.

rstones12

I am not missing the point. You are.

If I want hamburg, I cook it myself. :lol: I'll even cook a few for my friends. I won't cook one up, and tell them to drive ten miles and get their own, when I have plenty for everyone.

I am well aware of what HJT is, am extremely familair with the windows registry and file system and I am well aware that there are numerous tools used in conjunction with it, and am well aware that certain infections are far more difficult then others to remove.

As far as the resources I use. I read, when I find something that interests me, or something I need to know or need to do, I read, then I read some more, then when ready, I read the documentation, when the documentation refers to something else I read about that. That is the way I learn best. It may not be the way others like to learn, but for myself, it is what works best. I have always done much better that way then in a structured hand holding environment.

I don't have a specific question, as there is no specific problem.

However I think it is a fantastic thing that you offer to help me with any questions I might have, and if you are around more often, I will probably take you up on that offer as you are the very first person to make such an offer here at this forum.

You keep coming back, and I will likely have some questions for you eventually. Of course you have to be here more often if you are going to see my question when I ask it. ;)

The HijackThis Logs and the [solved] logs are available for any to read and to learn from. These things are here at the Pit. Nobody is limiting learning other than the person that does not go forth to find the knowledge that they are seeking.

I could study those logs for weeks on end and still not be allowed to help in the forum though, that is the whole problem with letting only approved members to post in that forum. You are not letting the best people in, just the people with formal training. Many of the dumbest people I know have degrees or are working towards degrees, they will end up getting jobs because of pieces of paper and not on their own merits... I think you know where I am going with this, and I am not implying that trusted HJT advisors are dumb either I just think that there are much more qualified people without the formal training.

I will get here as often as I can.. :)

BTW.. 40 posts now... ;)

Congrats bro, I'm sure at least 20 people of the thousands that post their HJT logs really appreciate your insight :laughing: ; you kind of proved what we've been saying all along, you have the knowledge now, and I'm sure your intentions are good but you don't have the time to devote to make a substantial dent in the battle against spyware. Yet someone like Bruce has like 20,000 posts; rather than having to reply to insults by small minded individuals; Bruce could have used these posts for something productive, Bruce probally has exponentially more computer knowledge than alot of Trusted Advisors yet he isn't allowed to post his insight...makes absolutely no sense.

Maybe one day someone from inside will realize what the hell is going on, but until then there will be alot of unanswered logs; fine with me...I have the knowledge to fix my own computer so why should I give a :filtered: about anyone elses computer?

Sometimes this forum makes me sick

Congrats bro, I'm sure at least 20 people of the thousands that post their HJT logs really appreciate your insight :laughing: ; you kind of proved what we've been saying all along, you have the knowledge now, and I'm sure your intentions are good but you don't have the time to devote to make a substantial dent in the battle against spyware.

I appreciate the not so subtle dig.. :clap:

No one person can make a substantial dent, thats why there are these types of forums.

I have the knowledge to fix my own computer so why should I give a :filtered: about anyone elses computer?

Then why do you??

and I'm sure your intentions are good but you don't have the time to devote to make a substantial dent in the battle against spyware.

That's a great way to encourage people. :blink:

Kinda like Folding. Most people who fold won't do hundreds of points a day, but all added up it helps. If only people who posted help here had enough time to make 20k+ posts then Bruce and Volt would be very lonely. :mrgreen:

with regards

Edited by Champion_Munch

Kinda like Folding. Most people who fold won't do hundreds of points a day, but all added up it helps. If only people who posted help here had enough time to make 20k+ posts then Bruce and Volt would be very lonely. :mrgreen:

with regards

1 person at a time will not do much against spyware, he was just being realistic. Goto the HJT forum and look at all of the empty posts and say that we are beating spyware. They come out of the classroom at a trickles pace while computers are infected by the millions. Just like folding, every little bit helps... too bad they are not capitalizing on all of their potential here.

with regards

Folding is a great cause, because your help is actually appreciated. 40 posts in a year is nothing though, help one person every 10 days with your divine knowledge; Any bit helps but there are still unanswered posts in HJT, why wouldn't you invite the opinions of experienced members despite not being TRUSTED.

I will get here as often as I can.. :)

BTW.. 40 posts now... ;)

assuming you help 1 person with every post you make, then you help 0.1 people a day... a drop in the bucket

Besides, who are the Trusted Advisors, trusted by? Jacee? I don't trust Jacee so what does that say about the whole situation :adios:

I agree, it would be great to be able to teach people here at The Pit. I would be all for it. Hell I might even learn if they had it here. But it probably won't happen. Y explained before the reasons for HJT requiring certification... they sounded pretty damn good to me. If we took away the certification that's currently required, there'd be hundreds of people getting computers ruined by bad instructions every day. You can't moderate that. And having to spend hundreds of dollars to replace computer parts is nothing compared to important data that could be lost.

To basically tell someone that their contribution and hard work is of no value is terrible.

with regards

stats on rstones12 from just one other site :

Total Cumulative Posts 3,140

Most active in: Malware Removal - HiJackThis Logs Go Here

He's an expert at this, and does share his knowledge by teaching others, as well as helping users. Just because he doesn't have 20,000 plus posts here doesn't mean he doesn't help anyone. ;)

This is more akin to a pick your poison scenario if you ask me. I'm sure the people you help appreciate it, but there are still many unanswered posts in that thread. There should be a "classroom" here. I took a class once, it was easy as pie since I'm rather familiar with the registry, and I knew what I was doing.

What's stopping a class from being here? Well, besides what seems to be an aristocracy....

I look at a classroom here as a great opportunity for many people to learn the rather easy workings of HJT.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=A...racy&db=%2A In case you are unfamiliar with its meaning.

My three fav. definitions:

1. Government by the citizens deemed to be best qualified to lead.

2. A state having such a government.

3. A group or class considered superior to others.

Edited by brandon

Now all we have are one liners going back and forth...sweet, just what I wanted.

I'm sure they are all very pleased he knows something, he has saved the economy millions of dollars and is a god amongst men ;) What do you want me to say, HJT Advisors are amazing people; in a few short weeks they went from dummies to gods and all because they took one short course? They still don't know the difference between a stick of RAM and a stick of gum but I'll still trust them because Jacee does...Yay for me!!!

I'm not stupid so don't patronize me

Well I guess I am because you're doing it to me. :rolleyes:

This guy has posted 2000+ posts on another forum, and probably hundreds on other boards, and Tea commended him. He obviously has a good reputation, and experience.

with regards

Edited by Champion_Munch

Well I guess I am because you're doing it to me. :rolleyes:

This guy has posted 2000+ posts on another forum, and probably hundreds on other boards. He obviously has lots of experience.

with regards

You'd assume that Bruce would have alot of experience at 27,000 posts, but everyones head is so far up their :filtered: that he isn't allowed to help; :filtered: like this makes assumptions garbage

Wow... :huh:

It's almost comical, this thread is. Between the logic, and the accusations, it has the makings of a great thread.

Edited by brandon

There is no I in Team.

I realize this has become quite heated and both sides have excellent points. But before the HJT Trusted Advisers and Jacee in particular are strung up, I would like to point out that there are 3960 threads in the HJT section and Jacee has 3977 posts in that section the next top 3 posters combined have 3174 posts. Jacee has a right I believe to be protective of the forum as she has always been the backbone of it and deserves our appreciation rather than ridicule.

Next point is that Bruce also has a strong case and as I have seen in his post is very familiar with the workings of MS Windows, and is a most qualified adviser to any computing problems. I fail to see why the HJT training is protected as if they were state secrets and with as many HJT advisors we have on the rolls here why an attempt to work out some in house training and or certification cannot be worked out.

We all joined the same Pitstop and continue to come back here. We are like family and occasionally fight like family.

By the Way, there is an I in family.

Edited by Lou

You'd assume that Bruce would have alot of experience at 27,000 posts, but everyones head is so far up their :filtered: that he isn't allowed to help; :filtered: like this makes assumptions garbage

I have a lot of respect for Bruce, and I often agree with the points he makes. From what I've seen of him, he does have a lot of experience. But not everybody is Bruce. In fact 99.99999% of people aren't Bruce. And you can't tell me that they are all experienced enough to help with HJT logs. :)

with regards

I have a lot of respect for Bruce, and I often agree with the points he makes. From what I've seen of him, he does have a lot of experience. But not everybody is Bruce. In fact 99.99999% of people aren't Bruce. And you can't tell me that they are all experienced enough to help with HJT logs. :)

with regards

Without sounding like an :filtered:, we are talking about Bruce though; I know I'm not Bruce, but Bruce should be able to do whatever he wants in this forum and if he wants to help, why should he be limited?