Sign in to follow this  
Seldom

HJT Certified

OK--- now what do we do?

:shrug:

:laughing::laughing:

No explaination, just opened again?

You got me, Mate???

This and others have not been closed by Mods! Just Admin Staff!

Are we just Numbers to Admin?

:sparkle::pullhair::pullhair::sparkle:

Edited by Drovers Dog

Back in the early days of Merijn's gift of HijackThis to the world, there were very few that were educated in it's workings. Most learned through cross-forums/web sites and asking one another for assistance and explanations, all the while doing lots and lots of research.

Here at the Pit, radio was the first that I knew of that had a "true grip" of the program and did very well in answering most, if not all of the logs presented in our various forums. Others, myself included, wanted to help. I honestly do not remember whether Bruce or fragged one or any others that are posting in protest were actively responding to HJT logs, but back then it would have been permissible. There was no structured classroom yet, nor any set guidelines, just a bunch of us helping one another to help those with infected rigs. Even back then, knowing the proper proceedures and exersizing proper precaution was priority. Learning the tools and the inner workings of the various threats at the time ("about: Blank" comes to mind) was and is still to this day very time consuming.

Once the classrooms were created, it was a joy to be included and to learn from others better versed than I and to be able to offer my own discoveries as well. The classrooms got the ball rolling. A new community was created. One of the finest structures put in place and adopted thoughout this community was to respect a responder to a HijackThis log and not to step into their thread unless you had been asked. PM's were and are still used alot, but this "unwritten rule" makes it much easier for the poster to avoid confusion and bad or possibly malevolent advise.

Many websites created a separate forum just for HijackThis. The Pit did as well, lots easier to find the logs this way.;) Anyway, this worked for awhile, but then sadly, there were those that clearly had no training with HijackThis, or perhaps they did and just wanted to be rude and :filtered:-roached threads. Some Googled a problem and pasted a Fix as if they knew what the "fix" actually did. Wrong fixes, proceedures done out of order, steps missing that would re-infect on reboot, and most often, incorrect items being removed from the log files. I am absolutely not pointing any fingers at anyone in particular. This is what I saw and experienced.

These are but a few of the experiences that I personnally learned to weed my way through. The person that jumped in the thread, would commonly abandon the person needing help, leaving us to go back and start again, cleaning up the damage, if any done, as well. This was also a bit more difficult to moderate as there were no specific rules being broken.

HijackThis Advisors were given recognition and exclusivity to prevent these types of occurances from continuing. These restrictions were discussed among the staff here at the Pit and we were all in agreement. It allows them to do their work in a structured and semi-sane environment with a utility that they are trained to be familiar with. There are very few boards and certainally none of the major HijackThis boards that will permit members to post fixes in a HijackThis forum. Why? Because this works best for the end-user. When a HijackThis Advisor posts to a thread, they will stick with that person until the problem is resolved.

If you wish to offer help in the HijackThis forum, then become an Advisor. To become an Advisor, complete the training. It takes time and commitment, and to those that are HijackThis Advisors here at the Pit, I thank you for all that you do. :tup:

Now then, with that being said, I would like to know what alternative method(s) do any of you see as being more productive as a means of getting proper help to those in need of it?

:)Y

Y kawika,

One point that was made is that other areas of help here (U2U and others) can do as bad if not worse if bad advice is given....

So if that is the case, why is Hijack this special... I can go to U2U right now and give advice that will blow away someone's computer without them knowing. But I cant in Hijack this....

so why the difference?

Back in the early days of Merijn's gift of HijackThis to the world, there were very few that were educated in it's workings. Most learned through cross-forums/web sites and asking one another for assistance and explanations, all the while doing lots and lots of research.

Here at the Pit, radio was the first that I knew of that had a "true grip" of the program and did very well in answering most, if not all of the logs presented in our various forums. Others, myself included, wanted to help. I honestly do not remember whether Bruce or fragged one or any others that are posting in protest were actively responding to HJT logs, but back then it would have been permissible. There was no structured classroom yet, nor any set guidelines, just a bunch of us helping one another to help those with infected rigs. Even back then, knowing the proper proceedures and exersizing proper precaution was priority. Learning the tools and the inner workings of the various threats at the time ("about: Blank" comes to mind) was and is still to this day very time consuming.

Once the classrooms were created, it was a joy to be included and to learn from others better versed than I and to be able to offer my own discoveries as well. The classrooms got the ball rolling. A new community was created. One of the finest structures put in place and adopted thoughout this community was to respect a responder to a HijackThis log and not to step into their thread unless you had been asked. PM's were and are still used alot, but this "unwritten rule" makes it much easier for the poster to avoid confusion and bad or possibly malevolent advise.

Many websites created a separate forum just for HijackThis. The Pit did as well, lots easier to find the logs this way.;) Anyway, this worked for awhile, but then sadly, there were those that clearly had no training with HijackThis, or perhaps they did and just wanted to be rude and :filtered:-roached threads. Some Googled a problem and pasted a Fix as if they knew what the "fix" actually did. Wrong fixes, proceedures done out of order, steps missing that would re-infect on reboot, and most often, incorrect items being removed from the log files. I am absolutely not pointing any fingers at anyone in particular. This is what I saw and experienced.

These are but a few of the experiences that I personnally learned to weed my way through. The person that jumped in the thread, would commonly abandon the person needing help, leaving us to go back and start again, cleaning up the damage, if any done, as well. This was also a bit more difficult to moderate as there were no specific rules being broken.

HijackThis Advisors were given recognition and exclusivity to prevent these types of occurances from continuing. These restrictions were discussed among the staff here at the Pit and we were all in agreement. It allows them to do their work in a structured and semi-sane environment with a utility that they are trained to be familiar with. There are very few boards and certainally none of the major HijackThis boards that will permit members to post fixes in a HijackThis forum. Why? Because this works best for the end-user. When a HijackThis Advisor posts to a thread, they will stick with that person until the problem is resolved.

If you wish to offer help in the HijackThis forum, then become an Advisor. To become an Advisor, complete the training. It takes time and commitment, and to those that are HijackThis Advisors here at the Pit, I thank you for all that you do. :tup:

Now then, with that being said, I would like to know what alternative method(s) do any of you see as being more productive as a means of getting proper help to those in need of it?

I do appreciate you taking the time to write an explaination.

I will bring up the same point that has been made countless times, in U2U you can do alot of damage to a persons computer and you don't need any training infact you don't need anything other then a computer and internet to help them.

Also the countless number of posts that have no been responded to are not helping anyone.

Anyways, I do really appreciate your levelheadedness with this though. At least you do not treat us like crap for addressing this situation.

Yep a quick search for unanswered posts reveals that 1/5 th of all the unanswered posts are in the spyware forum. That is an extremely high number, considering there are 19 sections to these forums.

People keep saying, go get training.

Well perhaps the people saying this didn't actually read the question that started this thread.

The thread was started by an interested "PcPitStop member".

Who was promptly told training was not available. ;)

So in the mean time 1 in 5 of the people seeking help, go with no assistance at all.

I contend that any good effort help is better then "no help".

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

People will make mistakes, just like they do in every other section of these forums, some may even do damage, just like every other section of these forums, but like every other section of these forums, most of the time people will help, and most often results in a solution.

It is the way forums work. It is the way the most successful ones I have seen work, and is the way the largest, and fastest growing forums work.

A great example is one of my favorite forums. Online at this moment ( Currently Active Users: 1330 )

They are successful, and are growing at rapid rates because it is open to all members.

It's the way this forum worked for years, and in my opinion in years past we had a more involved and personal user base. As things get more and more restricted, limited, and exclusionary, the smaller the number of people willing to help gets.

The more you take away, the less you get back in return. ;)

By the way, I feel a need to comment on the remark about people posting on my behalf.

I have not seen a single person on this thread post "on my behalf". I do believe I have been posting for myself and am quite capable of doing so. The fact that others agree with me, does not in any way mean they are posting on my behalf.

To clear things up. If anything I am posting on behalf of others, who would like to help but can't. I personally do not have a windows computer, and have no desire to have one, that of course means any help I could possibly offer would be for ohhhhhhhhh gasp, can you imagine the horror of it.........reading information available on the internet.

So in light of that, my concerns are for the members here, and the forum. What I see is a negative way of treating the membership, and an ill way of running a forum.

I was once actually in training at the TomCoyote & Spybot forums to become better with HJT. Not sure why I stopped. I guess I just lost interest.

Like Bruce and others were saying, far more harm can be done in u2u than can ever be done with HJT. I fried some very expensive parts on my computer when I read how to overclock an A64. Of course, the only reason it happened was because was due to an error in my judgement, but it still goes to show you what can happen if newbies get too ambitious with their hardware.

A reformat, or even a new copy of Windows 98 doesn't cost anywhere near $1,000. ;)

Edited by brandon

Not interested thanks.

But, you said we should all learn new things. That was nice invitation.....I know I would have taken it. :)

I am not looking to join another forum, I certainly don't need an invitation.

So rather then just the first line of my post, I will transfer the whole thing into this thread.

Not interested thanks.

I am a member of this forum, and I choose to learn from the members here.

I have learned more in my time here from great members willing to help here, then anywahere else on the internet.

I find it sad that the best people can do these days, is say go somewhere else to learn.

You have again made my point for me, in a better way then any ever could.

So the comment I will make in "this thread" about HJT, is this, when we send people away to learn the things we know rather then sharing them here we do our own members a serious disservice.

When we do not allow our members to offer assistance, then we do everyone who comes here for a help a serious disservice.

When we don't help our members here to learn new things here, and then deny them the opportunity to help others here because they haven't learned, the we do the forum a serious disservice.

Edited by Bruce

But you have learned about Linux at forums other than PC Pitstop, right. And you do share what you've learned with others here,right. And YOUR/OUR Linux forum is growing because of what you've learned and brought here, right?

Is it the idea that some other forum is naming themselves as the end all certification of HJT. Are they in someway affiliated with whoever wrote the program?

Also this will be my last post here because it is infact the perfect example. It demonstrated why there are rules. Governing forums, thread, and how they are enforced. Sorry for posting in the wrong area. I'll accept your moderation and move along. :)

I belong to one Windows forum, and two Linux forums. I spend the great majority of my time here now.

I joined those Linux forums, because when I started using Linux no one at PcPitstop was using it, and in fact I can't remember another member who even knew what it was, other then Dave and Rob Cheng, maybe Martin did, but he didn't post much in the forums.

That was almost 7 years ago now. When I did bring back what I had learned, I certainly didn't stop other from posting about it. In fact I have done nothing but encouraged it, so much so that I got the very small Linux forum started here. I didn't tell people they had to go anywhere else to learn, I did the best I could with my limited knowledge to help in any way I could.

Today, while we only have a few Linux members, they share what they know freely with others, we correct each other, and sometimes even bicker over methods of doing things, but in the end 90% of the time we find a solution to whatever issue is at hand without sending anyone anywhere else to get a Linux Certification.

I find it sad that the best people can do these days, is say go somewhere else to learn.

Since there is no formal classroom here you have to find alternative sources to gather information and learn.

You wouldn't go to a Linux forum to learn about Windows now would you?? This would require you to broaden your scope and go outside the box to get the information and training that you may or may not need.

I am not looking to join another forum, I certainly don't need an invitation.

No worries, it was only a gesture of good will inviting you.

Well at least we can discuss it.

My thoughts:

Other Forums vs HijackThis Forum:

The posts for help presented in the other forums are quite diverse, in the HijackThis forum, they are rather specific. Yes it is very true that the absolute demolition of hardware or corruption of software can be achieved with bad advise. Fortunately, you all, in addition to the staff here do police this stuff rather well. If it became apparent that help was being compromised on a regular basis in these other forums, then action would need to be taken. Either against repeat offenders or through restrictions on all of us. <<<<I don't want that.

The primary difference with the HijackThis Forum is that it is dealing with the use of a specific tool, with specific knowledge and training to identify and remove various vermin properly, safely and completely using the utility. :nospys: This just isn't the place to "try" to help, especially if one does not know the ramifications of a fix gone wrong and how to correct it.

There seems to be a "hang up" with the way the wording is stated there in the HJT forum: Serious damage to an operating system can result if advice is given by a novice. Maybe that should be posted over every forum here, including GD :lol:

I agree that we can all mess up a noob's rig pretty good in any forum. So what. Helping a member with a specific tool to help in the removal of malware, requires a person that is trained with that tool and is familiar with the workings of the malware in question. We all know that those that are HijackThis Advisors have this training and are actively learning and helping one another behind the scenes as well. As I mentioned prior, it's a new community.

So damaging someone's computer really isn't what differentiates the forums. It is that to be proficiant with a specific utility, in this case, HijackThis, requires specific training. That's why it is being said repeatedly. If you wish to offer help in the HijackThis forum, then become an Advisor. To become an advisor, complete the training.

Bruce, your opinion, is noted. I do not agree completely. I do not see any of this as a disservice to our members. We just don't happen to have a HijackThis classroom here at the Pit. Doesn't mean that it won't happen, it's just not here at the moment.

The fact that other forums do have this training available for free is a blessing. You may not know the names in blue, but many of us do and are grateful for what ever time that they are able to volunteer. Shoot, I'm grateful for all of those who volunteer on any of these boards, HijackThis Advisor or not.

...........and because of the Linux forum, I have enjoyed a few distro's myself. ;)

We all know that those that are HijackThis Advisors have this training and are actively learning and helping one another behind the scenes as well.

Is there some reason they can not help each other "out in the open" so that everyone can learn from their knowledge and expertise?

After all, it is how we all learned the things we know.

If we limit who can learn, then we stifle the process, when we limit who can learn we stifle innovation, when we limit who can learn we limit who can help.

Can't you see the irony in what you people are doing? :lol:

Stop sending people away to learn at other places, only to have them come back saying things like sorry no classes are available.

Stop sending people away to learn at other places, only to have them not return to help out here.

Stop sending people away!!!!!!!!!!!

Not every thing has to be etched in stone, not everything has to be rigid, not every method has to be identical, my point is, this whole process is taking away from PcPitStop, not a great addition to it.

If there is some need to "train" people, then do it here, where our members can learn from our members, the way a forum is supposed to operate.

Sending forum members to other forums is not conducive to promoting our own forum.

You folks have become so obsessed with removal of malware and other forums that you have neglected and disregarded the "membership" here.

You are in essence alienating the members of this forum in favor of another forum. That is about as backasswards an idea as I can think of.

Just a reminder this forum is called forums.pcpitstop.com.

There was a time when we were mentioned regularly on world wide television, because of the great reputation we had for helping each other, and sharing the great things we had learned here.

With the main focus of Windows based help forums these days being on malware, we won't find ourselves being mentioned in too many places, if the best we can do is tell people to go elsewhere to gain the knowledge and help we should be offering to all comers right here.

Trusted members?

You bet, the people and members I trust are right here in these forums. A couple I would actually trust with far more then a piece of software.

This is a community, how about we start treating everyone as equal members of the community. ;)

This is a community, how about we start treating everyone as equal members of the community. wink.gif

Did you make sure to look in the mirror when you said that? :) Edited by teacup61

I want to thank Bruce for being so vocal in expressing his opinion on this matter. He is a very well respected member in these parts and his thoughts should mean a great deal to the members of the pit. I don't expect anyone to listen to me, I'm only 20 years old; but I'd hope we'd give some thought to what Bruce says. I obviously agree with Bruce on this matter and think that people come to the pit hoping for ideas and insight not always the perfect answer all the time; I've learned so much from veteran members such as Bruce over the years it is insane. We all learn by making mistakes, if the HJT peeps can't accept this then they are losing the insight of alot of very talented people.

Did you make sure to look in the mirror when you said that? :)

Comments like that don't help, it only proves Bruce right

Since there is no formal classroom here you have to find alternative sources to gather information and learn.

You wouldn't go to a Linux forum to learn about Windows now would you?? This would require you to broaden your scope and go outside the box to get the information and training that you may or may not need.

No worries, it was only a gesture of good will inviting you.

I never took a formal Linux class and seem to do just fine with it.

I never took a formal Windows class either and did just fine with it for many many years. Far more years then I have used Linux.

This is a Windows based forum, where people help each other with the Windows operating system, Windows based software, and Windows based problems. I see no need to send them for "formal" training as you call it, when in fact all it is is another forum.

What you call a "formal" classroom is just another forum. :lol: Unless there is some room somewhere with desks, chairs, books...........then it ain't no classroom. ;)

I have never seen anything done anywhere we couldn't do right here ourselves and often do it better, when the members were given a chance.

That opportunity does not exist here, because rather then educate our members, they just chase them out.

I have never until this HJT stuff seen such a thing before.

If I learn something new, I freely share that knowledge or experience with the members of this forum, I simply can not imagine telling someone, if you wish to know what I have learned you must go somewhere else, only to be told sorry there are no opening to learn this, so toooooooo bad.

That just blows my mind.

Well at least we can discuss it.

My thoughts:

Other Forums vs HijackThis Forum:

The posts for help presented in the other forums are quite diverse, in the HijackThis forum, they are rather specific. Yes it is very true that the absolute demolition of hardware or corruption of software can be achieved with bad advise. Fortunately, you all, in addition to the staff here do police this stuff rather well. If it became apparent that help was being compromised on a regular basis in these other forums, then action would need to be taken. Either against repeat offenders or through restrictions on all of us. <<<<I don't want that.

The primary difference with the HijackThis Forum is that it is dealing with the use of a specific tool, with specific knowledge and training to identify and remove various vermin properly, safely and completely using the utility. :nospys: This just isn't the place to "try" to help, especially if one does not know the ramifications of a fix gone wrong and how to correct it.

There seems to be a "hang up" with the way the wording is stated there in the HJT forum: Serious damage to an operating system can result if advice is given by a novice. Maybe that should be posted over every forum here, including GD :lol:

I agree that we can all mess up a noob's rig pretty good in any forum. So what. Helping a member with a specific tool to help in the removal of malware, requires a person that is trained with that tool and is familiar with the workings of the malware in question. We all know that those that are HijackThis Advisors have this training and are actively learning and helping one another behind the scenes as well. As I mentioned prior, it's a new community.

So damaging someone's computer really isn't what differentiates the forums. It is that to be proficiant with a specific utility, in this case, HijackThis, requires specific training. That's why it is being said repeatedly. If you wish to offer help in the HijackThis forum, then become an Advisor. To become an advisor, complete the training.

Bruce, your opinion, is noted. I do not agree completely. I do not see any of this as a disservice to our members. We just don't happen to have a HijackThis classroom here at the Pit. Doesn't mean that it won't happen, it's just not here at the moment.

The fact that other forums do have this training available for free is a blessing. You may not know the names in blue, but many of us do and are grateful for what ever time that they are able to volunteer. Shoot, I'm grateful for all of those who volunteer on any of these boards, HijackThis Advisor or not.

...........and because of the Linux forum, I have enjoyed a few distro's myself. ;)

In all fairness I could 'help' a person use spybot S&D and wreck their operating system; there are many specific (and popular) malware removal tools that don't require specialized training on different forums, despite their equally destructive nature when not used properly.

I don't know why the moderators and admin are so protective of that section while basically letting the others police themselves. You can't help a person in HJT without having a moderator PM you, or worse (and by worse I mean being temporarily banned), while in the political section you can break half the rules and a moderator may never notice. I have learned alot on this forum and do not want to goto a different forum to learn HJT. If I am to learn something like this I would much rather learn it from someone I respect and know.

Did you make sure to look in the mirror when you said that? :)

Is that the best you can do.

Careful who you bait sweetheart. Sometimes folks catch a bigger fish then they can handle.

If you want to just pick apart and take little tiny snippets to use as "personal" digs, then have at it. I really would have expected much better from you.

I am enjoying the conversation with some folks who have so far been civil and have put thought into their responses. I would hate to see it closed again because a Trusted Member doesn't have anything better to offer then personal digs.

Knock it off Bruce...I didn't see a personal dig in that reply. You have done much more in your comments here. :angry:

I knew that was coming :lol:

What would you have called it if not a dig?

If you would like a prettier response.

No I didn't look in a mirror when I said it, because I don't have one on my desk. :rolleyes:

I have not insulted or thrown digs at any individual in this thread.

If we limit who can learn, then we stifle the process, when we limit who can learn we stifle innovation, when we limit who can learn we limit who can help.

Who is limiting learning? The training is freely available to any that will commit to it. Sometimes there is a waiting list to get in, but if one desires to learn, there's nothing stopping them.

The HijackThis Logs and the [solved] logs are available for any to read and to learn from. These things are here at the Pit. Nobody is limiting learning other than the person that does not go forth to find the knowledge that they are seeking.

If there is some need to "train" people, then do it here, where our members can learn from our members, the way a forum is supposed to operate.

I would like that too. Maybe that can be arranged. I don't know.

It's late and I'm gonna zzzzzzzzzzzzzz, but I do appreciate the insites. Food for thought anyway.

:nitey:

edit: can we all please just keep it civil? I think that this is an important discussion and perhaps an amicable solution can be derived. Good night...........Y

Who is limiting learning? The training is freely available to any that will commit to it. Sometimes there is a waiting list to get in, but if one desires to learn, there's nothing stopping them.

The HijackThis Logs and the [solved] logs are available for any to read and to learn from. These things are here at the Pit. Nobody is limiting learning other than the person that does not go forth to find the knowledge that they are seeking.

I would like that too. Maybe that can be arranged. I don't know.

It's late and I'm gonna zzzzzzzzzzzzzz, but I do appreciate the insites. Food for thought anyway.

:nitey:

edit: can we all please just keep it civil? I think that this is an important discussion and perhaps an amicable solution can be derived. Good night...........Y

I do believe for the most part the thread has been very civil. ;)

I certainly can not see any reason why people could not learn about HJT right here at this forum.

It would seem that we have quite a few people who know about it. Why can't they help educate PcPitStop members. I personally think it would be the best thing, and you would probably be shocked by the number of people who would be interested if they didn't have to go somewhere else.

I think it would be far better to help the folks here learn it, rather then to bring in people from other forums who have no interest in sticking around.

A perfect example of what I am talking about is rstones12. This trusted advisor has been a member for a year, has only posted 5 times in the spyware forum this year.

That is no reflection on that individuals expertise, only a reflection on the commitment they have to this forum.

Bringing such folks in who really have no interest in us, won't do much to help us out here.

Helping our own members right here to learn about it, will get knowledgable and committed members of PcPitStop interested, when you do that, the forum benefits more then any other way of doing it.

I certainly wouldn't expect that overnight we end up with a slew of people ready to do HJT logs, but the sooner that process is started, the sooner you get members of this forum involved.

If getting people involved is the ultimate goal, then it needs to be done right here.

Edited by Bruce

Bruce,

I think you are missing the point here. Since PCPitstop doesn't have a "classroom" to teach HJT there are other forums that do offer this type of training. If you want a Big Mac you don't go to BurgerKing you go to McDonalds, although that might be a stretch on the analogy and point I am trying to make.. :P

HJT is a just a tool that is used in getting a handle or overview on what might be on that particular users system. There is so much more to this than just having informal question and answer sessions in threads. As is was stated in an earlier post, there are specific infections, tools, reg fixes etc.. that need to be studied and learned. Not everybody can do self study, that is why these classrooms have been set up.

I never took a formal Linux class and seem to do just fine with it.

But I bet you utilized other resources to gain the knowledge and experience.

What you call a "formal" classroom is just another forum. lol.gif Unless there is some room somewhere with desks, chairs, books...........then it ain't no classroom. wink.gif

Are you familiar with distant learning or online classes... :surrender:

I have no issue with sharing my knowledge, do you have a specific question.

It seems that you are very passionate about this forum, and that is great. But there is nothing wrong with going somewhere else for a short while and then coming back and sharing that knowledge...

Just some thoughts... B)