Sign in to follow this  
rsxownes

I can't Format hard drive

I tried using the windows CD and the commands but it wont do it. If i use the Windows CD it says it doesn't see the harddrive and says make sure its plugged in but it is and its working fine. If i just right-click the drive in Mycomputer and click on format it says Quit any utlities or programs using the drive and try again. I have Windows XP home and a western Digital Raptor hard drive.

If this is your operating system hard drive ... you cant format the drive unless your re installing windows .... if this is a storage drive .. go to control pannel / admin tools / computer managment / disk managment ... and format it from within there

Stick yer Windows CD in the drive, then reboot. If the CD-ROM isn't set as the first boot device, you'll have to enter the BIOS to change that first.

Once you reboot using the CD, just do a reinstall of Windows and it will present you with an option to delete the existing partition and format the hard drive.

Further instructions here: http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

RayG

Stick yer Windows CD in the drive, then reboot. If the CD-ROM isn't set as the first boot device, you'll have to enter the BIOS to change that first.

Once you reboot using the CD, just do a reinstall of Windows and it will present you with an option to delete the existing partition and format the hard drive.

Further instructions here: http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

RayG

That's just it though, I have already tried that and it says that there is no harddrive there like its not connected but it works fine. I have a western Digital Raptor hard drive. So I don't know whats wrong

Have you tried downloading WD's utility and using that to format ? it is also on the ultimate boot CD if you have that, failing that take the drive out and add it as a slave to another machine if possible then format it in that, then you can put it back in the original machine as master and you should then be able to install on it.

If you have a sata drive you will have to press the F6 button when it asks you to and install the sata drivers from a floppy disc or the win XP install disc will not recognize your sata drive.

Have you tried downloading WD's utility and using that to format ? it is also on the ultimate boot CD if you have that, failing that take the drive out and add it as a slave to another machine if possible then format it in that, then you can put it back in the original machine as master and you should then be able to install on it.

Is there a link to this utility that i can download?

If you have a sata drive you will have to press the F6 button when it asks you to and install the sata drivers from a floppy disc or the win XP install disc will not recognize your sata drive.

I remember i needed to do this when I first put the PC together. I can't remember if it was a floppy or a CD but i cannot find it. But I mean the harddrive is working i can start windows and do anything.

Ok I think I tried this already and something was wrong but i will try it again on my lunch break. Thank you for the responses and hopefully I will get more helpful responses. Talk to you soon.

I remember i needed to do this when I first put the PC together. I can't remember if it was a floppy or a CD but i cannot find it. But I mean the harddrive is working i can start windows and do anything.

It is working in Windows because Win XP has the sata driver to access the drive. The Windows CD doesn't have the sata driver and that is why you had to load it when you first installed the drive. Most likely the Win XP install disc will need the driver to recognize the hardware. You can probably find the driver on your motherboard driver disc. Then transfer it to a floppy so you can load it when the Windows setup asks for additional drivers.

>>>Here<<< is the ultimate boot CD to go with the other links already given, but I think your answer lies in the above post, but you can still set the drive up ready for it using any of these utility's. B)