Sign in to follow this  
Joe C

The 10 Commandments of internet

1. Thou shalt not buy merchandise found in pop-up ads or spam.

2. Thou shalt not post thy email address, phone number, address or social security number to the internet, nor shalt thou post anyone else's.

3. Thou shalt not forget to update thy Windows every second Tuesday.

4. Thou shalt not connect to the internet without installing an antivirus, nor shalt thou begin a scan without checking for updates.

5. Thou shalt not connect to the internet without installing a firewall.

6. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's credit card number, nor his bank routing number, nor his social security number.

7. Thou shalt not enter thy credit card number without seeing the tiny padlock icon on thy status bar.

8. Thou shalt not reply to the email from the Nigerian banker.

9. Thou shalt not forward chain letters to thy friends and family.

10. Thou shalt not use "password" as thy password, nor thy birthday, nor thy children's names.

First published in the Spyware Weekly Newsletter, 12/10/2005:

http://www.spywareinfo.com/newsletter/arch.../2005/dec10.php

I make a discard able email address that forwards to my real email address. That way if somebody starts spamming/signs me up on spam lists I can just dump that email and make a new one. Never had a serious problem since I started that! Maybe it can be an amendment. :)

1. Thou shalt not buy merchandise found in pop-up ads or spam.

2. Thou shalt not post thy email address, phone number, address or social security number to the internet, nor shalt thou post anyone else's.

3. Thou shalt not forget to update thy Windows every second Tuesday.

4. Thou shalt not connect to the internet without installing an antivirus, nor shalt thou begin a scan without checking for updates.

5. Thou shalt not connect to the internet without installing a firewall.

6. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's credit card number, nor his bank routing number, nor his social security number.

7. Thou shalt not enter thy credit card number without seeing the tiny padlock icon on thy status bar.

8. Thou shalt not reply to the email from the Nigerian banker.

9. Thou shalt not forward chain letters to thy friends and family.

10. Thou shalt not use "password" as thy password, nor thy birthday, nor thy children's names.

Well I guess my mother in law will have to find a new set of pass times. :shrug:

Rather, the 10 commandments of Common Sense.

If that is true, take a look at the User 2 User help, and the Viruses and Spyware forums. Then tell me how many people share that common sense.

Best one there.. hahaha, made me laugh.

11. Thou shalt not call and yell at tech support because you decided to monkey around and kill your computer.

12. Thou shalt not call tech support and let them monkey around with things that are beyond the scope of the script they read from.

I make a discard able email address that forwards to my real email address. That way if somebody starts spamming/signs me up on spam lists I can just dump that email and make a new one. Never had a serious problem since I started that! Maybe it can be an amendment. :)

And would you like to share that system with me DJ? I get heaps.. don't worry about nigerian bankers... I get those same things from all over europe.

I would love to know just how to set your system up Dj.

Cheers Neil

13. thou shalt not listen to old men who think they know much more than they do.

Surley tho shall not listen to any Smart A_ _ sed kids who know a lot less than they think they do.

13. thou shalt not listen to old men who think they know much more than they do.

:nono: That wasn't very nice! :nono:

While you may be a good tech support, most aren't. None I have spoken to have a clue as to what they are talking about.

10 + good ideas. BTY common sense is not really common these days.

A good password is your old car licence plate, especially if you had it a long time so you can remember it.

If the site requires 8 characters (Most plate only have 7, unless you live in CA, NY, TX, etc) insert a dash in the middle. I've been using mine for about 4 years and nobody had decoded yet.

PS: If you have a site that requires you to change your password, use you current plate for a few days and the change it back to the old one.

10 + good ideas. BTY common sense is not really common these days.

A good password is your old car licence plate, especially if you had it a long time so you can remember it.

If the site requires 8 characters (Most plate only have 7, unless you live in CA, NY, TX, etc) insert a dash in the middle. I've been using mine for about 4 years and nobody had decoded yet.

PS: If you have a site that requires you to change your password, use you current plate for a few days and the change it back to the old one.

I always use a 10 digit password which is alphanumeric with symbols, it has no relevance to anything I own or have ever owned or any personal attributes.

In case I forget it I ensure I create it be encrypting a passphrase in GPG and using the encryypted form of the passphrase, this is my passwords biggest weakness.

And would you like to share that system with me DJ? I get heaps.. don't worry about nigerian bankers... I get those same things from all over europe.

I would love to know just how to set your system up Dj.

Cheers Neil

So would I. Blues