Sign in to follow this  
kscott

ctfmon.exe

im speechless, i havnt the slightest clue, i just know it shouldnt be there running, although there are security issues related to office, have you scanned anything lately?

im speechless, i havnt the slightest clue, i just know it shouldnt be there running, although there are security issues related to office, have you scanned anything lately?

I scan everyday with mutiple anti spyware and a anti virus

I think i figured out what it was. I think it was that Windows Defender, so I deleted that program and now ctfmon isn't running anymore but I still can't delete it off my computer

in most case trying to delete the file windows will ask for the cd to reinstall it, if it doesnt ask then we know that its a virus.

edit: dont attempt it unless all is backed up.

Edited by duanester

in most case trying to delete the file windows will ask for the cd to reinstall it, if it doesnt ask then we know that its a virus.

edit: dont attempt it unless all is backed up.

Can't delete it anyway, every time I try it just pops back up in system32

If it is an .exe file and is in your system 32 folder which is where it is located in my system and it appears yours is also, it is a system file

From the Answers That Work Task List: http://www.answersthatwork.com/ (bold and italics are added by me)

Ctfmon (1)

CTFMon.exe

(Microsoft)

CTFMon comes with Microsoft Office XP and Windows XP – it activates the Alternative User Input Text Input Processor (TIP) and the Microsoft Office XP Language Bar. As long as the Text Services & Speech are enabled in the Control Panel, this program will force itself back into your list of background programs.

Recommendation :

In 2006 CTFMON is needed on many PCs for Windows Update to work – we suggest, therefore, that you leave it running.

If it is a .dll file, which your above post seems to rule out, you are in trouble

Also from Answers That Work

Ctfmon (2)

Ctfmon.dll

(???)

You have the W32.Mydoom.B@mm virus.

So run a couple of searches of your system, one looking for ctfmon.exe and another looking for ctfmon.dll. Make sure to put a check mark in the Search System folders, Search Hidden Files and Folders, and Search Subfolders boxes in the More Advanced Options section of the search box.

I have XP Pro and Office XP but a search shows that the ctfmon.exe file exists in only three locations on my system:

C:\Windows\$NTServicePackUninstall$

C:\Windows\System32

C:\Windows\SevicePackFiles\i386

If it doesn't find any .dll files you are safe. To turn it off you will have to disable text services and speech in your control panel but be aware that you may need this for your Windows updates to work.

If it is an .exe file and is in your system 32 folder which is where it is located in my system and it appears yours is also, it is a system file

If it is a .dll file, which your above post seems to rule out, you are in trouble

So run a couple of searches of your system, one looking for ctfmon.exe and another looking for ctfmon.dll. Make sure to put a check mark in the Search System folders, Search Hidden Files and Folders, and Search Subfolders boxes in the More Advanced Options section of the search box.

I have XP Pro and Office XP but a search shows that the ctfmon.exe file exists in only three locations on my system:

C:\Windows\$NTServicePackUninstall$

C:\Windows\System32

C:\Windows\SevicePackFiles\i386

If it doesn't find any .dll files you are safe. To turn it off you will have to disable text services and speech in your control panel but be aware that you may need this for your Windows updates to work.

Lucky for me the ctfmon that was running was a .exe flie and not .dll

If you want to get rid of it completely, follow step 3 here,

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=282599

I did that a week or so ago after a brief (about five minutes before uninstalling) look at IE7. After I had uninstalled IE7, I noticed in Task Manager that ctfmon.exe was running, which was rather interesting seeing as it had never run on my computer before, even when I had Office installed. Anyway I followed the instructions at that link and now it doesn't run. I actually took it one step further and went a located ctfmon.exe in the system32 folder and renamed it ctfmon.exe.old, now the little bugger will never run.

And for that comment from ATW, till Microsoft says otherwise, it isn't running on my computer. Oh and Windows Update works just fine here without it so far.

If you want to get rid of it completely, follow step 3 here,

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=282599

I did that a week or so ago after a brief (about five minutes before uninstalling) look at IE7. After I had uninstalled IE7, I noticed in Task Manager that ctfmon.exe was running, which was rather interesting seeing as it had never run on my computer before, even when I had Office installed. Anyway I followed the instructions at that link and now it doesn't run. I actually took it one step further and went a located ctfmon.exe in the system32 folder and renamed it ctfmon.exe.old, now the little bugger will never run.

And for that comment from ATW, till Microsoft says otherwise, it isn't running on my computer. Oh and Windows Update works just fine here without it so far.

The only problem I have with that is i dont have anything Office XP like installed

maby if you try a hjt log, this might give you more info on running apps, thus you can remove things easily :)

i have a suspicioun that its a virus :crash:

maby if you try a hjt log, this might give you more info on running apps, thus you can remove things easily :)

i have a suspicioun that its a virus :crash:

whats an hjt log? and how do i do that

Ctfmon.exe activates the Alternative User Input Text Input Processor (TIP) and the Microsoft Office Language Bar.

What Does the Ctfmon.exe File Do?

Ctfmon.exe monitors the active windows and provides text input service support for speech recognition, handwriting recognition, keyboard, translation, and other alternative user input technologies.

forget hjt for now, i have spoken to several friends that use windows and found that all of them have this application running! five out of six dont have office. but all of them have this exe.

what i find strange is why would an office application be running if office isnt installed, well there all safe surfers and run limited user accounts, so this is an actual ms application, its purpose without office! i dont know.

if you wish to run an hjt log simply visit our hjt/ hijack this forum here at the pit.

till then my friends are checking out ctfmon.exe purposes other than what ms quoted on.

edit: things like this is why i sworn to never use another windows machine

Edited by duanester