Sign in to follow this  
TeMerc

New Version Release: Spy Sweeper v5.0

July 10 2006

As soon as it's installed, Spy Sweeper gives 360 degrees of protection against spyware, including:

• Simple sweeps -Detecting spyware and removing unwanted programs found on your computer in three effortless steps
  • Easy management - Quickly and simply configure program, sweep and upgrade options
  • Fast home - Use the home screen to access the most commonly used functions of Spy Sweeper
  • Shields summary - A redesigned shields summary page makes it simple to see at a glance which shields are on or off
  • Action alerts - Receive clear, easy–to–understand notifications when new spyware threats are detected
Additional Highlights

Even easier to use

We performed extensive user interaction testing and refined the Spy Sweeper interface to make it even easier for users of all technical abilities to stay protected. Advanced users continue to have the power to configure the program to suit their unique needs, while new users can breeze through the straightforward setup and menus. The new interface sets the standard in ease–of–use and efficiency for spyware removal programs.

Commanding spyware detection and removal

Spyware programs are known to mutate quickly. Spy Sweeper uses adaptive definition technology for detecting spyware mutations that haven't yet received a defense definition. This is yet another benefit of having the world's best spyware research team on your side.

More powerful blocking defenses

Enhanced Smart Shields prevent highly developed spyware programs from ever installing on your PC. You’ll receive valuable action alerts to any changes in your computer’s core functions, including startup, memory and Internet security settings.

New keylogger shield

A keylogger can record all keystrokes on your computer, including usernames, passwords, credit card numbers, e–mail content, instant message conversations and other typed material. Spy Sweeper prevents keyloggers from operating so your personal information is safe from these malicious threats.

Smarter spy installation shield

The enhanced Spy Installation shield offers "on access" spyware scanning for all files attempting to download to your PC. Spy Sweeper scans all downloads and if senses spyware, it will prevent its installation. The program in question is sent to quarantine for you to deal with later.

Enhanced rootkit discovery methods

Malicious spyware uses rootkit technology to bury its files deep within your PC. Spy Sweeper finds and destroys these programs with robust rootkit discovery methods, a feature many other anti–spyware programs lack.

Spy Sweeper v5.0

Spy Sweeper v5.0 Free Trial

Note: The DL link still currently holds the 4.5.9 version, change will be done shortly, please come back and try again later or tomorrow.

Edited by TeMerc

TeMerc, does this require an uninstall (paid for) of the old version, or just update? I'm new to Spy Sweeper protocols :)

I just updated it to the newer 5.0 version. I did shut SpySweeper down and then run the install program and it worked like a charm... :)

I just downloaded the Spy Sweeper 5.0 version and now my computer is running slow. I need to renew my subscription in a few weeks, but I am just worried about why my computer is so slow. :help: I don't know what to do???? Any help is greatly appreciated. :help:

There are lots of users experiencing several problems with this latest version.

Myself, I am having Adaware hang and hang during a scan. Turn of SS, scans fine. Many users are experiencing slowdowns due to the key logger shield, so you may want to try running with that disabled.

Other users have had firewalls block some aspects of SS files. AV apps have been thought to be causing problems too.

It seems that what ever amount of beta testing they did, was not enough. Very buggy, kind of disappointing too.

Should have seen it coming when they didn't even get the correct files uploaded on the server when they announced the new version.

Tsk-Tsk.

I just downloaded the Spy Sweeper 5.0 version and now my computer is running slow. I need to renew my subscription in a few weeks, but I am just worried about why my computer is so slow. :help: I don't know what to do???? Any help is greatly appreciated. :help:

Well don't take this the wrong way, but I am glad I am not the only one having trouble with the new 5.0 version! My mother has Spy Sweeper version 5.0, she just installed it too, and she said she hasn't had any trouble with it. :huh:

I am going to renew my subscription, but I still don't know what to do about using the 5.0 version. I uninstalled it last night and shut my computer down for the night. When I turned it on this morning, its back to normal speed. I even re-did my pcpitstop scan here, and its not telling me today that my computer is slow.

:pullhair::surrender:

Computers are soooo much fun!! lol :crash:

I hate to disagree, I think SS is junk now, slows up your machine, takes longer to shutdown and boot up. Uses way to much memory, keeps your cpu working. I've used the program for 4 years, last year it started, I've had numberous links sent to me from webroot. I finally took the program off my machine. I'm a happy Ewido user, no slowdowns, faster scans, as good or better detection.

SS update has brought my laptop to a SLOW CRAWL! when I first downloaded it, it disabled something so I could NOT connect to the INTERNET? (broadband connection) I forget what it said as I am not computer savvy but I was able to get it to repair itself on second try.

BUT on rebooting, SPY SWEEPER takes FOREVER to load!? Now I have it so it does not load at start up and I have to turn it on later.

WORSE! I have run it 6 times and it has found no spyware and not even detecting cookies it was finding before?

It has been VERY SLOW before the upgrade when scanning...use to scan in 18 minutes and in recent months took over 40 minutes.

What has HAPPENED to this software? I do not know enough about comptuer lingo to get Hijack this.

I use Spybot, Adaware but COUNTED on S S to get things they missed. I tried calling tonight but it was after they closed.

I am going to call tomorrow to complain. I have XP and this slow motion crawl is turning my laptop into a rectangle frisbee.

Any advice?

Well how about some good stuff about SpySweeper. I really have not noticed any real significant slow downs or any issues. The scans take a bit longer to run, other than that..... :bigsmile:

B)

Edited by rstones12

I called and uninstalled the new version and they sent me the old one again. Much BETTER. It ate up my RAM big time.

I have an old laptop and I can't afford to replace it or upgrade as it has a cracked hinge

I called and uninstalled the new version and they sent me the old one again. Much BETTER. It ate up my RAM big time.

I have an old laptop and I can't afford to replace it or upgrade as it has a cracked hinge

Well you got me curious now....I don't see the connection with a cracked hinge and a Spy Sweeper update slowing your computer down :ok:

sorry..should've been more clear. I can't afford to UPGRADE RAM in an old laptop with a cracked hinge...there was the connection. LOL

If I upgraded the RAM the speed issure would not be there.

:)

I tried out 5.0.5 when it first came out.... it did have some issues, but it looks like now that got that worked out, I got the latest build and it runs fine on my pc now too

Edited by Joe C

I tried out 5.0.5 when it first came out.... it did have some issues, but it looks like now that got that worked out, I got the latest build and it runs fine on my pc now too

Joe, is this any different than the release build of 1286?

Just downloaded 5.0 as well. Couldn't believe how much it slowed down my PC. Kept sucking CPU and everything ran up to 10x more slowly. Had to uninstall it and reinstall 4.5. DON'T INSTALL THIS VERSION!

Just downloaded 5.0 as well. Couldn't believe how much it slowed down my PC. Kept sucking CPU and everything ran up to 10x more slowly. Had to uninstall it and reinstall 4.5. DON'T INSTALL THIS VERSION!

What does your system have for RAM and what Anti-Virus are you running??

My computer with a fast Athlon and 2 gigs of memory started running like a pig with constant hard disk access as soon as I installed this. I disabled the key logging shield and that seemed to fix the problem. This program is also a memory hog as evidenced by the task manager and you can't disable it there unless you disable the Self Protection Shield by Ctrl-Alt clicking on the home screen on the Spysweeper logo below the blue bar but above the various status boxes. I hope they address this key logging issue.

I have seen several users now with 512 + RAM and they are still experiencing lags and excessive CPU numbers.

It seems to be disabling the shields cures many cases, but then what's the point in spending the money if you only use half the product??

Thanks for the information. I have been fighting this machine all week and now find it is my friends at SPY SLEEPER that are the problem.

i'm using 1 gig ram, 2500 barton chip, nod32 a/v and ZA firewall...

Posted Image

The first time it lagged, and ate up all my bookmarks, This week, I reinstalled, the same build number, but no isseue this second time around, I manually shut down SS instead of letting the installer shut SS down

From Webroot Customer Advocacy Group:

Webroot would like to thank everyone for their postings about the latest release of Webroot’s Spy Sweeper 5.0.5.1286.

I am a part of Webroot’s Customer Advocacy Group, and wanted to let everyone know that Webroot is aware of the slow performance reports and has a team of engineers looking into a resolution. In the short term, we have published a Knowledge Base article on our Support site that may resolve performance issues if you have installed Spy Sweeper on a system with low available memory. http://support.webroot.com/ics/support/def....asp?deptID=776

Also, if you are experiencing poor performance, please try disabling the Spy Installation Shield, Memory Shield and Key Logger Shield.

We will keep everyone posted when a more permanent solution is available.

Thank you,

Webroot Customer Advocacy Group

Source:

http://www.castlecops.com/posts162250-15.html

From Webroot Customer Advocacy Group:

Source:

http://www.castlecops.com/posts162250-15.html

I just installed Spy Sweeper on two laptops this past week. The latest release has bogged my machine down tremendously. CPU useage hits 100% with nothing more that Outlook and Firefox running (with Spy Sweeper consuming 60% of system resources). Replaced my wife's Norton IS with Spy Sweeper yesterday as Norton is a notorious system pig. Now my wife's machine is slower than ever... The solution referenced on the Webroot website (remove other programs from the start menu) is not acceptable.

What are the impacts of "disabling the Spy Installation Shield, Memory Shield and Key Logger Shield" as recommended. Doesn't this defeat the purpose of having anti-spy software?

Looking forward to a quick (and better) solution.