Sign in to follow this  
8210GUY

Connecting to another PC

I've got a mates PC to install and want to connect it to my computer so I can drag and drop required files, I have a USB cable made for the purpose, I also have a KVM switch so I can use the one monitor\keyboard\mouse to save on space, my KVM switch is working perfect, I have no problem using both PC's at the same time switching between them at will, what I can not figure is this USB cable, the disk came with several programs on it and no clear guide as to what one is required, although a couple of choices are blatantly obvious such as Ethernet, even though what I bought was nothing to do with this ?

I'm going round in circles with this so if anyone can help an idiot out it would be appreciated, BTW both systems are running xp pro, although there is a 2k machine and a 98se system that may need to be connected in the future as well just to keep it interesting lol :crash: :lol:

Yes thats exactly the sort of cable I have and software, as I said it was sold as being for this purpose, I just don't understand which of the software choices to use etc as there are numerous ones to choose from, any idea on which to use ?

lol yeah I guess that may help :blushing::lol:

Been run absolutely ragged lately, I'd forget my head if it wasn't screwed on, anyway it gives me 13 folders headed up with the following titles:-

2.0 Data link

2.0 Ethernet

ADM8513

ALI M5632 Data link

Data link

Ethernet

GL620A-Network

GL620-Data Link

NET8150

Network

Pl2501

Serial Adapter

USB to IrDA

Within these folders often are other folders, but 90% of the time they are to do with the OS so no point in mentioning these unless the folder suggested contains something different, I have tried installing several if not all of these folders and haven't got the machines to see each other yet, not sure if I should be doing something within the settings of each PC for this to happen, but theres no clear instructions I've seen if I do, Thanks for the help everyone :beer:

Well I can see a turbo transfer in there that looks promising, but theres no clear installation file, the only install file is dotnetfx_Eng, but have I not already got the net framework installed ? I'm fully updated and have it installed or is this some extra separate piece required for this ? Thanks for looking when you get the chance anyway. :beer:

Yeah I have the hardware\software, what I don't have is the knowledge\experience to get it to work which is what I'm hoping someone can help with, but Thanks anyway.

Well I don't know which one you have, but basically you open the program, I think it's the unicode version, connect, then start transfering. It should show you your hard drive and the other computers one.

I am not sure but I would guess it would be "2.0 Data link". I'll take a look at my software tonight when I get home if I get chance. :)

Sorry, I have been real busy lately. I'll make a note to locate my software and see what part of it I was using to connect the two. I had to install a program on each of the computers, from there I could open the application on one of the computers and it was similar to Windows explorer, and showed all drives on one screen. From there you could drag files back and forth.

NP, I'm the same, got 5 machines round me ATM and another mate on the phone lol :surrender::lol:

Yeah thats exactly what I get, install on both machines and they should connect, as you say the window is like explorer and lists the drives, with 1 exception, it doesn't show the other machine, and the connection indicators show as red, I must be needing another step or something, but the machines just wont see each other. :mrsgreen:

I have 2 ways of approaching these things, way 1 = stumble around using logic and it works 98% of the time for me, way 2 = looking at any documentation to see if it clears up any confusion helps out 1% (50% of remainder) of the time, if all that fails then I turn to here for advice from those with more experience than me in such matters for the last 1% (the other remaining 50%), I suspect it's my inexperience in networking here holding me back and messing me up, but what I don't do is take one look at something then come here too have someone do it for me, if I did that I'd never learn anything, and so far with being here I've gone from someone who barely knew how to turn a PC on to someone who now doesn't hesitate to build whole systems or flash bios's (but only when the interface is simple to use).

The problem with this software is that there is no real manual, there are a couple of read me files and no clear definitive pointer as to which I'm supposed to use, I've tried all of the software one at a time and have so far failed to get the PC's to see each other, everything other than that I'm fine with, but as I haven't got them to see each other yet I don't know where the weak spot thats letting me down is, and I'm hoping with some pointers here I will get to crack it. :boxing:

Well my usb to usb device is a compaq branded one that came with a tiny cd rom. There is only one application on the cd rom. See link. When I installed it it warned me to disconnect the cable befroe installing. I suppose you could uninstall your software disconnect your device, re-install your software on both computers, then plug the device back in. Or if you want download the compaq software in the link and try it. The file is about 1.5 mb :)

Usb to Usb Link software