Sign in to follow this  
Catman51

Exterminate Question

This morning I ran Exterminate, long scan. It found 3 tracing cookies. I then ran LavaSoft AdAware Plus, which found 15, including one that Exterminate said it deleted?

Why would Lavasoft, in the SmatScan (shorter) find more than Exterminate?

I would have to say that the Lavasoft pattern file is looking in places where Exterminate isn't, or that is just has a different set of inclusions. However, I don't think that such should be the case. I am attempting to contact the department that updates the Exterminate pattern files to see what they have to say.

Thanks for the input. This kind of information can help us to improve the product. :tup:

Guest cj

I run Exterminate and it comes up with 11 trojans and deletes them then restarts my computer.. If i run it again the same 11 r on still why does it not remove them for good?

Thank you.

At this point I have Exterminate, Lavasoft and ZoneAlarms Suite which does Adware too. I always like running a few, because they can each find something different.

But the fact that it found the same one is puzzling.

I'm speculating here, but it certainly sounds like a removal file update should be forthcoming soon. Usually when an item is detected but not removed, it has "morphed" in some way so that the original removal script is no longer effective. It can still be detected, but now the removal method needs to be updated.

It would be a great help to our ongoing efforts to continually improve the product if you gentlemen could post the names of the items being detected but not removed.

Thanks in advance for any assitance you can give.

Okay, just ran it again. Exterminate found 6, Adaware found 22.

The one that Exterminate was supposed to have removed was 2o7.net, yet Adaware found it again.

I'm speculating here, but it certainly sounds like a removal file update should be forthcoming soon. Usually when an item is detected but not removed, it has "morphed" in some way so that the original removal script is no longer effective. It can still be detected, but now the removal method needs to be updated.

It would be a great help to our ongoing efforts to continually improve the product if you gentlemen could post the names of the items being detected but not removed.

Thanks in advance for any assitance you can give.

Thank you for the additional information. Much appreciated.

Just curious. Have you tried running Adaware first followed by Exterminate? Does Exterminate find anything Adaware missed?

Guest Guest

Will try that, and let you know.

All of these programs need to be run in safe mode or they are really not removing any virus files that are being used by windows. The files just come back on the next start up or sooner. :geezer:

That's nice, but this program runs and updates in regular mode.

All of these programs need to be run in safe mode or they are really not removing any virus files that are being used by windows. The files just come back on the next start up or sooner. :geezer:

I now ran it the opposite way, Lavasoft first, Exterminate after.

Lavasoft deleted about 10, Exterminate found one that was not in the Lavasoft list. So, no repeats like when I run it the other way.