Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest DaveB

Running More Than One

Guest DaveB

Is it possible to run more than one at a time ? (not at once)

ie norton/mcaffee/ect

The problem I see is that both programs make many changes to the windows registry,,I can tell ya this much,,McAfee makes so many changes in the whole system that in the time it took to manualy get rid of it all I could have done a clean install of windows!!

To me,,and this is just my opinion,,its much better to install one and make sure to set it up to scan often and update often.

And use your head when opening email and surfing the web!! none of them are bullet proof!!! :) v

To me,,and this is just my opinion,,its much better to install one and make sure to set it up to scan often and update often.

your not advocating installing Norton or McAfee here are ya V?? :blink::mrgreen:

Keith

Nope just answering the question.

McAfee is total junk,,Its AVG for me!! :) v

I would agree with ya Keith!! I like it too!

But you know how cheap I am!! :) v

For the record. I have tried having both Nortons and McAfee together on my system. This was after both had let me down individually. I thought where 1 failed 2 might work better.

I have always believed that the best learning comes from doing. I sure as hell learnt. I sacked both and installed Panda Platinum.

DaveB don't do it! It don't work so good. Nor will your system! That is until you have reformatted and all that fun stuff.

Regards, N Z Russell.

Not trying to muddy the waters (too much) but the answer is maybe. I would not do it or advocate it. Virus checkers use different methods to look for virsuses. Some look for known virsuses (actually most) and some look for "virus like behavior" I think that many A/V programs use both methods anymore. But if you had one that checked for signatures you could run that with one that looks for virus behavior. The problem with running 2 A/Vs apart from the burden on your system is that the signature type will identify the other A/V signature files and think they are viruses. A similar conflict can occur with the other type as well.

I have a triboot set up, on C drive(98se) I have pc-cillin and on D(XP) drive I got panda, when I run pc cillin when I'm on C drive it'll scan D drive with no problems and the same is true when I'm on D and scan C. The problem would arise if you use both a/v's on the same OS