Sign in to follow this  
mem23

Reboot/Shutdown icons

I came across this and I use it very simple and cool.

WindowsXP has a program called SHUTDOWN.EXE which allows you to easily create icons to shutdown or restart your computer.

To create a shutdown shortcut on the desktop:

1. Right click on an open area of the desktop

2. Select New / Shortcut

3. Enter in "shutdown -s -t 00" - (no quotes)

4. Press the Next button

5. For the name, enter in anything you like. I just use shutdown. Click the Finish button.

6. For a reboot, enter "shutdown -r -t 00"

7. Now you can change the icon for the ones you'd like.Just right click then chose properties then change icon.There you can find a green squer with white arrow for reboot I use and the red off icon for shutdown.

Shutdown [{-l|-s|-r|-a}] [-f] [-m [\ComputerName]] [-t xx] [-c "message"] [-d[p]:xx:yy]

Parameters:

* -l - Logs off the current user, this is also the defualt. -m ComputerName takes precedence.

* -s - Shuts down the local computer.

* -r - Reboots after shutdown.

* -a - Aborts shutdown. Ignores other parameters, except -l and ComputerName. You can only use -a during the time-out period.

* -f - Forces running applications to close.

* -m [\ComputerName] - Specifies the computer that you want to shut down.

* -t xx - Sets the timer for system shutdown in xx seconds. The default is 20 seconds.

* -c "message" - Specifies a message to be displayed in the Message area of the System Shutdown window. You can use a maximum of 127 characters. You must enclose the message in quotation marks.

This tweak and some other are available here:

http://www.5starsupport.com/info/xpinfo2.htm#shutdown-reboot

Edited by mem23

Here's a related shortcut.  To put the computer in standby or hibernate, enter this command in step 3 -

rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState

The system should hibernate if enabled in Power Options, otherwise should enter standby (suspend)..

SysInternals.com has a similar utility, PsShutdown.exe, with expanded capabilities.

Suspend

PSShutdown -D

Hibernate

PSShutdown -H

Poweroff

PSShutdown -K

Reboot

PSShutdown -R

Abort shutdown

PSShutdown -A

Usually you'd want add -T 00 to the command, otherwise there's 20 second delay in the a command's action.

Edited by TomGL2

Here's a related shortcut. To put the computer in standby or hibernate, enter this command in step 3 -

rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState

The system should hibernate if enabled in Power Options, otherwise should enter standby (suspend)..

SysInternals.com has a similar utility, PsShutdown.exe, with expanded capabilities.

Suspend

PSShutdown -D

Hibernate

PSShutdown -H

Poweroff

PSShutdown -K

Reboot

PSShutdown -R

Abort shutdown

PSShutdown -A

Usually you'd want add -T 00 to the command, otherwise there's 20 second delay in the a command's action.

Why would anyone download any freebie to have it on the machine when you can do it withing the windows?

Why would anyone download any freebie to have it on the machine when you can do it withing the windows?

A comparison of the options available with Shutdown.exe and PsShutdown.exe will make that obvious.  For example, Shutdown has no option to either suspend or hibernate, while PsShutdown has both (and rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState is dependent on your system settings).  Shutdown.exe cannot power down the computer after shutting down Windows, but PsShutdown can.  There are many other differences.

ARGHH, I just did it on my win XP box but I had to delete it after I accidentally activated it for the 4th time!

you're kidding me...a shortcut so you don't have to go start-->shutdown?

got any shortcuts for the start button? how about a shortcut to my computer?

:laughing::laughing:

I usually type the command anyways, allows me to time a shutdown.

A comparison of the options available with Shutdown.exe and PsShutdown.exe will make that obvious. For example, Shutdown has no option to either suspend or hibernate, while PsShutdown has both (and rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState is dependent on your system settings). Shutdown.exe cannot power down the computer after shutting down Windows, but PsShutdown can. There are many other differences.

That is just...I suggest that you dont hijack other peoples thread.Start your own.I see you didnt think about this one and now you feel you can glow on my account? Edited by mem23

you're kidding me...a shortcut so you don't have to go start-->shutdown?

got any shortcuts for the start button? how about a shortcut to my computer?

See my desktop on the upper right and yes there is one shortcut for start up on the lower left :lol: you do have one already too. :lol:

Posted Image

Edited by mem23

That is just...I suggest that you dont hijack other peoples thread.Start your own.I see you didnt think about this one and now you feel you can glow on my account?

Seems you are not the only one too be Jacked. Windows Tip.

Edited by Rmc

That is just...I suggest that you dont hijack other peoples thread.

"That is just..." means what?

I replied with related and expanded information, which isn't thread hijacking by any reasonable definition.

You asked, "Why would anyone download any freebie ... when you can do it within the windows", to which I responded by pointing out some functions one might hope the Windows utility to provide, but doesn't.  You appear to be chastising me simply for having answered the question.  Or, maybe you're irritated with the negative reactions to your tip, and I'm the target of your misdirected ire.

now you feel you can glow on my account?

I don't understand what you mean by that.  I certainly won't get credit for your tip just by suggesting to substitute another, similar utility for shutdown.exe.  For that matter, I wouldn't expect any credit for the suspend/hibernate command.

Seems you are not the only one too be Jacked. Windows Tip.

Describing that as hijacking goes beyond reason.  You (the author) immediately pointed out that the initial tip did not work on many sites, and specifically fails on THIS forum.  My response was to provide a tiny bit of Javascript and a trivial variation, plus instructions for moving the items to the Links bar.  The follow-up post provides the same function using a stylesheet simply to apply magnification automatically.

Essexbiker describes this alternative as "an absolute Godsend!!" - given that, do you honestly think I should have kept it to myself?

May be you didnt even realised that this section is not about who knows things better but if you have some idea you go and share it with others.No one should go around to check and be a smartash.This topic was started by me becouse I thought that it worth to share.I certainly dont expect that I will be corrected by you that you have a better salution.If you do have a better one please start a topic and share it with the others in that fashion.You seem to be the one who wont take the time to figure out something alone you'd rather go around correcting people.This is not the fashion this section was meant to be.

May be you didnt even realised that this section is not about who knows things better but if you have some idea you go and share it with others.No one should go around to check and be a smartash.This topic was started by me becouse I thought that it worth to share.I certainly dont expect that I will be corrected by you that you have a better salution.If you do have a better one please start a topic and share it with the others in that fashion.You seem to be the one who wont take the time to figure out something alone you'd rather go around correcting people.This is not the fashion this section was meant to be.

Is this aimed at me?

Is this aimed at me?

Is that a tricky question?

Why would it be aimed at ya?

Geeks.....Man.

Looks like no one was reading what is this new forum is all about.I'll paste it for you too: :lol:

Hi Pitsters!

As you probably know, PC Pitstop puts out a monthly newsletter.

Chengrob would like to add a regular feature of Tips 'n' Tricks. This new forum is where Pitsters can share their favorite Tips 'n' Tricks.

If your submission is chosen for inclusion in the newsletter, you will receive a $100 prize.

This will be a monthly event, so there will be many opportunities to have your tip selected. Everybody look through your notes and pick your best tips to share!

Remember, we are looking for tips that will appeal to intermediate users, so don't get too technical.

The tips that will be chosen for the newsletter will be useful, easy to do, and non-intimidating, meaning let's leave the registry edits for the more experienced users!

Let's have fun, and I'm looking forward to learning all of your Tips 'n' Tricks!

This TomGL2 caracter didnt post any of hes favorite tips just yet but going around correcting people which would be even ok if the author in fact did post some trick which would mess up someones machine which case it has to be corrected.

Edited by mem23

you guys are still going at it? sheesh. talk about thread killing!

I know I know sorry about that. :beer:

mem23 you are being unreasonable. He didn't hijack your thread, and you are the one who pushed the subject about why someone would/wouldn't like TomGL2's suggestion more then yours. You made your self look bad, and now you’re whining about it.

Rmc's topic I could consider hijacking. The reason I think that is because the posts were directed at TomGL2's suggestion, not at Rmc's. I think when the replies to a topic are disregarded the first suggestion because of somebody else posting a "better" way of doing something, then that could be considered hijacking.

But nobody else has practically posted here, so I don't see any take over of your topic if nobody responded in the first place. Good tip though.

Edited by djsilver666666

I dont get why would anyone dig up something just to talk about off topic.He got my point as he did stoped suggesting things in others posts as well.This forum is not about who knows better but if you know something someone might can use or will like post it but in your own thread.

I would not do this :blushing: to myself as you just did with your nonsense.

You know how many time people could have been corrected here but I didnt steal anyone little thunder.

Edited by mem23

Sorry, I didn't relize I was "digging" up a old topic.

I will keep my mouth shut, I got your point. Sorry.

------ topic closed please ------

Edited by djsilver666666

I dont get why would anyone dig up something just to talk about off topic.He got my point as he did stoped suggesting things in others posts as well.This forum is not about who knows better but if you know something someone might can use or will like post it but in your own thread.

I would not do this :blushing: to myself as you just did with your nonsense.

You know how many time people could have been corrected here but I didnt steal anyone little thunder.

mem23

Mate, your tip is great - I was genuinly just about to go looking for the switch for logging off, as opposed to just shutting down or restarting.

I know that you can probably incorporate this little shortcut tool into a batch file and include a few of the command line 'taskkill' operations in there too.