Windows Tip

Ever have trouble reading small print on your screen

when reading e-mail?

Here's a simple tip.

If you have a scroll Mouse,

Hold down the Control key on your keyboard

and roll the mouse wheel.

This will change the size of the print, smaller or larger,

depending on which way you turn the wheel.

For those of us with declining eyesight. :geezer:

Edited by Rmc

personally i think thats a great tip and will be telling my daughter so she doesn't have to keep re setting my screen size.... :lol:

Thanks Terry,

This will also work on most Web pages like The Pit's home page.

However, it does not work on the forums pages (like this one).

OH yes it does and my daughter is going to be so pleased. lol. the screen is about 3 ft from where we sit when on pc. lol.. :beer:

it does not work on the forums pages (like this one).

Here's a trick that magnifies everything on the page.  Open Notepad, and enter the lines

[internetShortcut]

URL=javascript:document.body.style.setAttribute('zoom','132%')

The 132% is arbitrary, and can be changed later to suit.  Click File and Save As.  In the Save in droplist, click Desktop.  In File name, type (including the quotes)

"Page Zoom.URL"

and click Save.

Now for the reciprocal function.  Change the 132 to 100 (no magnification).  Click File and Save As.  In File name, type (including the quotes)

"Undo Zoom.URL"

and click Save.  Close Notepad.

Final steps.  Open Internet Explorer and click Favorites (the word, not the button).  While pressing the Shift key, click Organize Favorites.  The Zoom shortcuts will work when placed anywhere in the Favorites folder, but putting them in Links makes them easily accessible, so that's what I'll describe.

Double-click Links to open the folder.  Right-click Page Zoom and click Cut, then right-click a clear spot in the Links folder and click Paste.  Repeat this step for Undo Zoom.  Close the folder.

----- USAGE -----

To enlarge graphics and text, or to reverse the effect, click the small arrowheads beside Links and click Page Zoom or Undo Zoom.

----- TWEAKING -----

To set a larger or smaller degree of magnification, open Notepad.  In Internet Explorer, click the arrowheads beside Links.  Place the mouse pointer on Page Zoom.  Press the mouse button, and while keeping it pressed, move the mouse pointer to the Notepad window.  Release the button.  Change 132 to a greater or lesser value, then click File and Save.

In Internet Explorer, click Page Zoom to check the magnification factor.  Readjust the value in Notepad, then resave the file and test again.  Repeat until the degree of zoom is satisfactory, then close Notepad.

Cheers Tom! I've tried it and it works on the websites I tried it on. If it also works on websites that insist on using tiny, weeny little thumbnails (eg: for knitting patterns etc) which I can't make out at all without having to open each one separately, it would be an absolute Godsend!!

I've saved your instructions in case I forget how to do it or edit it in future. Thanks very much!

Thanks, EssexBiker.  Several visually-impaired persons, mostly late middle-aged and older, had asked if there was a workaround for the increasing number websites which disabled the user's View/Text Size setting, making those sites unusable.  This was one of a couple of solutions I worked up, and the majority preferred it since it affected most (usually all) of the page, not just text.

The drawback is that the zoom factor reverts to the default when you navigate to another page, even one on the same site, leading to excessive Page Zoom clicks.  There is a part 2 to the solution, fortunately, which you'd use after determining a good zoom factor (by fiddling with 132% in the script).

Click Start, Run, type Notepad PageZoom.css and click OK.  Type or copy & paste the line

body { zoom: 1.32 }

Those are "curly brackets" (braces {} ), by the way, not parentheses.  The 1.32 should be adjusted to equal 1/100th of the zoom value you decided on (explained under "Tweaking" in my previous post).  If you chose 145%, use 1.45; if 166%, use 1.66; and so on.

Click File and Save As.  In the Save in list, click Shared Documents if you're using Windows XP or 2000; or My Documents if you're using Windows 95, 98, or ME.  Click Save and close Notepad.

In Internet Explorer, click Tools, Internet Options, and Accessibility.  Select Format documents using my style sheet, and click Browse.  In Look in, click Shared Documents or My Documents (as before).  Click PageZoom.css and Open.  Click OK and OK.

Now your chosen zoom factor will be applied automatically to every page.  For the rare occasions when you don't want magnification, click Undo Zoom (you can magnify again by clicking Page Zoom).

Edited by TomGL2

TomGL2 --

A million thanks. What a great tip for my half-blind friend! She always had to find sites with super jumbo font -- and now she can look at any Internet Explorer site. Great!!

verneinc

Its great to at last find some solutions to what for me is an increasing problem:

First my eyes only get worse, despite my not officially being required to wear specs for driving - so after all I'm not that bad.

But also more & more sites seem to disregard the fact than modern monitors set to hi-res just poorly display many sites with much too small text & much wasted screen real estate.

My question is why is this a problem when everyone knows the ever growing importance of web info & why has microsoft not introduced a simple method whereby we can effect quick & easy changes to obtain the desired result.

This is not just an old folks problem, sometging like 40% of people over age 45 need reading glasses! & this is a sector of the population growing everywhere.

Meantime thanks for the several suggested fixes, none of which are however simple.

Pete

Here's a trick that magnifies everything on the page.  Open Notepad, and enter the lines

[internetShortcut]

URL=javascript:document.body.style.setAttribute('zoom','132%')

The 132% is arbitrary, and can be changed later to suit.  Click File and Save As.  In the Save in droplist, click Desktop.  In File name, type (including the quotes)

"Page Zoom.URL"

and click Save.

Now for the reciprocal function.  Change the 132 to 100 (no magnification).  Click File and Save As.  In File name, type (including the quotes)

"Undo Zoom.URL"

and click Save.  Close Notepad.

Final steps.  Open Internet Explorer and click Favorites (the word, not the button).  While pressing the Shift key, click Organize Favorites.  The Zoom shortcuts will work when placed anywhere in the Favorites folder, but putting them in Links makes them easily accessible, so that's what I'll describe.

Double-click Links to open the folder.  Right-click Page Zoom and click Cut, then right-click a clear spot in the Links folder and click Paste.  Repeat this step for Undo Zoom.  Close the folder.

----- USAGE -----

To enlarge graphics and text, or to reverse the effect, click the small arrowheads beside Links and click Page Zoom or Undo Zoom.

----- TWEAKING -----

To set a larger or smaller degree of magnification, open Notepad.  In Internet Explorer, click the arrowheads beside Links.  Place the mouse pointer on Page Zoom.  Press the mouse button, and while keeping it pressed, move the mouse pointer to the Notepad window.  Release the button.  Change 132 to a greater or lesser value, then click File and Save.

In Internet Explorer, click Page Zoom to check the magnification factor.  Readjust the value in Notepad, then resave the file and test again.  Repeat until the degree of zoom is satisfactory, then close Notepad.

The magnifier function is cumbersome to use & seems directed to those persons with severe sight impairment.

Its use does not enhance the enjoyment of browsing IMHO & I would never use such a poor tool - its easier in practice to actually hold up to the screen a 4 inch magnifying glass. Wow thats progress But I actually keep the glass beside my PC & maybe use it one or twice weekly & then briefly.

Pete

You can access Magnifier by going Start + U, and then selecting Start when Magnifier is highlighted. :)

with regards